If your child is unvaxed - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 09-19-2012, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My children don't get sick very often. My 4 year old seems to get sick more than my 6 year old. They've never had ear infections, and have never been on antibiotics. It seems many of the kids around them get sick, but they manage to stay relatively healthy. If they do get sick, they recover quickly, especially my older DD.

We try to feed them really well, and give them supplements, including a multi, vit C, vit D and omega 3. We also make fresh wheatgrass juice every morning, but my 4 year old won't touch it ;)

We also just started making our own colloidal silver, so I look forward to trying that during "sick" season.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#32 of 49 Old 09-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

Is he or she getting sick a lot, basically getting a lot of infections??  in the cool/cold months she gets sick q. a lot.  She is asthmatic.

Your daughter may be low on vitamin D. All the above symptoms suggest it.

Post 44 on this page addresses vitamin D.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1224482/make-me-feel-more-confident-about-not-vaxing-for-measles-and-pertussis/40

#33 of 49 Old 09-19-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:

Mom's with healthier kids that responded if you don't mind sharing your diet, it would be a help.

Thanks for your help.

Good for you for getting her some C. Puritans Pride sells cheap vitamins online.

Diet: typical breakfast is either organic scrambled eggs with organic sprouted bread and organic yogurt.

Snack: some organic fruit

Lunch: organic peanut better and jelly, heavy on the peanut butter, light on the sugary jelly. Or perhaps some lentils with melted organic cheese on top. Side with some kind of veggie. Lately it's been zucchini sutayed with cumin, but could be boiled frozen organic mix, or maybe some mashed organic sweet potatos.

Dinner: usually very light, almost snacky. Avocados, tomatoes, nuts, fruit.....

Water is the ONLY beverage they drink. Sometimes unpasturized orange juice as a special treat, but I hate all the sugars. (yes I realize they are natural)

Currently I'm trying to limit their dairy intake (the best dairy will always be grass-fed and raw, which cannot be sold in most stores) and wheat. ( finding non-GMO wheat in this country is almost impossible nowadays, even organic wheat, because of the threat of cross-pollunation)

I've had to alter my budget to allow to buy the more expensive organic, sprouted, raw foods, but I feel as far as health goes.....it's worth it!!!!

If you have any questions, please ask. I know a lot about nutrition and I love sharing and learning more
BeckyBird likes this.

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#34 of 49 Old 09-20-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Thanks for the info. Going to try out Vit. D. She did get a lot of sun in the summer. Sometimes, probably we were out at the wrong hours. At noon in the pool once. Sometimes out at 3 in the park when the sun is still too hot.

Ok. So, she got a fever of 102.4 and asked to go to the doc. Dh wanted to observe for a day but she being tired from a whole day of school not being a 100% and at the onset of a 2nd fever (at school) asked us to take her. All I could think was another night of no sleep. The doctor's office informed that since she was on antibiotic her immune was already compromised and it possibly aided in her catching something else. Apparently it does happen. This round of antibiotics is stronger.

We are 99% veg as well. Dd is a convert so she craves cheese and she gets it in small qtys, treats like icecream now and then, and is allowed cake and some other junk food like pizza at birthdays. One time she did have chicken nuggets. That's not going to be allowed anymore. A sample of our meal is kidney beans, brown rice, sauteed broccoli or sauteed potatoes to help her to eat the beans. This is usually eaten with a fight, or lots of whining, We use only coconut oil and Evoo.

My conclusion is: No older siblings so never introduced to germs at school. Never been at a daycare or school except 2 hrs of pre-k last year and yes she was sick a lot then as well. Thrown off by new life at school - number of hours, drop in intake of water at school, not enough rest as her habit of going to bed late creeps in even though she is sleeping by 8 or bet. 8-9. Eats but is not happy to eat healthier options.

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown
#35 of 49 Old 09-20-2012, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

The latest is that after being absent from school for being sick and 10 days of antibiotic and seven school days later last night she complained of a painful throat again. She had strep the last time too. She gargled with salt and apple cider vinegar and went to bed. At 1.30 she woke up in a lot of pain. I gave her motrin and this morning didn't want to go to school. She didn't have fever so we gave her some motrin and sent her anyway. I also went to find some chewable Vit. C tablets this morning before school. The only one available was Nature Made. The first ingredient was Sugar but I got it as there was no other option.

Mom's with healthier kids that responded if you don't mind sharing your diet, it would be a help.

Thanks for your help.

You really need to start her on a gut healing diet. The antibiotics have likely trashed her gut flora and compromised her immune system. What I feed my children probably wouldn't assist your child because they have never ever had antibiotics and have a well functioning immune system. For example, they are able to eat dairy (raw) and gluten (I do limit their grain intake though), but for many children these foods are not healthful. I would probably start with the GAPS diet and see how she does on that. 

BeckyBird likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#36 of 49 Old 09-21-2012, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

You really need to start her on a gut healing diet. The antibiotics have likely trashed her gut flora and compromised her immune system. What I feed my children probably wouldn't assist your child because they have never ever had antibiotics and have a well functioning immune system. For example, they are able to eat dairy (raw) and gluten (I do limit their grain intake though), but for many children these foods are not healthful. I would probably start with the GAPS diet and see how she does on that. 

Thanks. It seems like meat and fish are a big part of the diet and we are vegetarians.

Let me make sure that my thoughts, words and actions are beneficial to the scene in which I find myself ~ Unknown
#37 of 49 Old 09-21-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

Thanks. It seems like meat and fish are a big part of the diet and we are vegetarians.

Unfortunately, meat and fish for children with gut issues are important foods because of their dietary limitations. Do you give her non-dairy probiotics? I really like coconut water kefir, I buy a local product called inner eco and add it to smooties, although it can be drunk straight, it tastes okay, but a child might not be into it. Also look into fermented veggies.

Vegetarian GAPs diet?

Vegetarianism and the Weston Price/GAPs diet

You might want to take a look at the Bedrock Diet (Body Ecology Recovering Our Kids)

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#38 of 49 Old 09-21-2012, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesmom View Post

I've had to alter my budget to allow to buy the more expensive organic, sprouted, raw foods, but I feel as far as health goes.....it's worth it!!!!

I feel the same way. I would rather spend my money on healthy food instead of anything else. Trying to keep my family healthy is my #1 priority! It sure is expensive though orngtongue.gif but well worth it.

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#39 of 49 Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

I feel the same way. I would rather spend my money on healthy food instead of anything else. Trying to keep my family healthy is my #1 priority! It sure is expensive though orngtongue.gif but well worth it.

me too, although I wish my hubby felt the same. We constantly argue about the amount of money I spend on organics and supplements :(

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#40 of 49 Old 09-21-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesmom View Post

Same here. We spend a fortune on food for a family of four plus a Mastiff (who eats raw grass-fed bison meat - no kibble for him!). A good month's food bill is under $2,000, most months I spend more. spending this much means we do without other stuff, but I will not compromise, so that is the choice I make. 

#41 of 49 Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

me too, although I wish my hubby felt the same. We constantly argue about the amount of money I spend on organics and supplements :(

Of course you can explain that every dollar you spend on PREVENTION may save 100 dollars on TREATMENT.

The following foods have low pesticide levels when grown with normal commercial methods.

“The hairy skin of the kiwi fruit is high in antioxidants and thought to have *anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory and anti-*allergenic properties. The skin contains three times the anti*oxidants of the pulp; it also fights off bugs such as Staphylococcus and E-coli, which are responsible for food poisoning.”   Eating fruit and vegetable peel could combat cancer

"Along with fibre and vitamin C, a pineapple’s real benefit lies in an enzyme called bromelain, which breaks down food and dead human tissues linger in the digestive *system quickly, *protecting the stomach. The core of a pineapple contains twice the bromelain concentration of the surrounding fruit.”   Eating fruit and vegetable peel could combat cancer

• Asparagus
  • Avocado
  • Banana
  • Broccoli
  • Cabbage
  • Cantaloupe
  • Eggplant
  • Grapefruit
  • Kiwi
  • Sweet peas (frozen)
  • Mango
  • Onion
  • Pineapple
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Watermelon

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/08/12/12-foods-you-don-t-have-to-buy-organic.aspx

These you should buy organic: because of their high pesticide levels with normal commercial methods.

• Apples
  • Bell peppers
  • Domestic blueberries
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Cherries 
  • Imported Grapes
  • Kale
  • Lettuce
  • Nectarines
  • Pears
  • Peaches
  • Potatoes
  • Spinach, kale and collard greens
  • Strawberries

Not all non-organic fruits and vegetables have a high pesticide level. Some produce has a strong outer layer that provides a defense against pesticide contamination. The group found a number of non-organic fruits and vegetables dubbed the “Clean 15″ that contained little to no pesticides.

http://healthfreedoms.org/2010/06/09/dirty-dozen-produce-carries-more-pesticide-residue/

Neera likes this.
#42 of 49 Old 09-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:

I thought C is the one used when they are sick especially with colds.

Don’t be afraid of Sunshine, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D or Cholesterol; learn their properties and safely and freely use these powerful health tools

An important point about vitamins A, C, D and Cholesterol is that they have a maintenance state and an anti-infective state. When your body is healthy and not fighting any serious infection or inflammation the requirements for these nutrients are nominal. However when your body is fighting a serious systemic infection their requirements skyrocket.

For example with vitamin A you may normally only need a few thousand IU/day but when fighting a serious infection Doctor Gary Gordon gives a 150 pound adult 400,000 IU/day. Most of this 400,000 IU will be burned rapidly fighting the infection. Likewise with vitamin C, when fighting an infection you will be able to ingest many more grams before reaching bowel tolerance, often 30 grams or more.  

The three big vitamins for infection are Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Vitamin A. Your body will use VAST amounts of all three to fight an infection. So HEAVY supplementation of all three during an infection are a good way to fight the infection.

The best way to get vitamin A is to eats LOTS of carotene containing foods. I eat at least 2 pounds of cooked carrots/week. When sick your adult body can easily burn up 400,000 IU of vitamin A/day fighting the infection. I rely on the carrots and other carotene rich foods unless infected then I supplement Vitamin A.

Doctor Gordon often uses an entire 2 ounce bottle of liquid Kyolic garlic/day to fight a life threatening infection. I have found this works well for me. I usually take a couple table spoons at a time with a little fat and try to use up  the bottle in three days or less. So for a 50 pound child you might aim to exhaust the bottle in six days. If the infection gets worse up the dose IMO.

"Vitamin A is found associated with an entire group of other components: Retinols - Retinoids - Retinal - Carotenoids - Carotenes - Fatty acids - Vitamin C - Vitamin E - Vitamin B - Vitamin D - Enzymes – Minerals. Isolated from these other factors, vitamin A is a fraction which cannot perform its biological functions. Taken as a synthetic, ... in the body in order to complete its make-up. Whole food vitamin A, by contrast, is already complete and ready to go. ... The well-publicized potential for toxicity with mega doses of vitamin A involves one of these three. ” Doctor Tim O'Shea, Note cooked carrots and some good fat supply all of these.

"A short-term use of high-dose Vitamin A -- 400,000 units daily for up to one week for average 70kg adults can be useful as an anti-infective measure." Doctor Garry Gordon

"Supplies of vitamin A are so vital to the human organism that mankind is able to store large quantities of it in the liver and other organs. Thus it is possible for an adult to subsist on a fat-free diet for a considerable period of time before overt symptoms of deficiency appear. But during times of stress, vitamin A stores are rapidly depleted. Strenuous physical exercise, periods of physical growth, pregnancy, lactation and infection are stresses that quickly deplete vitamin A stores.”   Sally Fallon and Mary G. Enig, PhD

#43 of 49 Old 09-21-2012, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisw View Post

Of course you can explain that every dollar you spend on PREVENTION may save 100 dollars on TREATMENT.

The following foods have low pesticide levels when grown with normal commercial methods.

“The hairy skin of the kiwi fruit is high in antioxidants and thought to have *anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory and anti-*allergenic properties. The skin contains three times the anti*oxidants of the pulp; it also fights off bugs such as Staphylococcus and E-coli, which are responsible for food poisoning.”   Eating fruit and vegetable peel could combat cancer

"Along with fibre and vitamin C, a pineapple’s real benefit lies in an enzyme called bromelain, which breaks down food and dead human tissues linger in the digestive *system quickly, *protecting the stomach. The core of a pineapple contains twice the bromelain concentration of the surrounding fruit.”   Eating fruit and vegetable peel could combat cancer

• Asparagus
  • Avocado
  • Banana
  • Broccoli
  • Cabbage
  • Cantaloupe
  • Eggplant
  • Grapefruit
  • Kiwi
  • Sweet peas (frozen)
  • Mango
  • Onion
  • Pineapple
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Watermelon

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/08/12/12-foods-you-don-t-have-to-buy-organic.aspx

These you should buy organic: because of their high pesticide levels with normal commercial methods.

• Apples
  • Bell peppers
  • Domestic blueberries
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Cherries 
  • Imported Grapes
  • Kale
  • Lettuce
  • Nectarines
  • Pears
  • Peaches
  • Potatoes
  • Strawberries

Not all non-organic fruits and vegetables have a high pesticide level. Some produce has a strong outer layer that provides a defense against pesticide contamination. The group found a number of non-organic fruits and vegetables dubbed the “Clean 15″ that contained little to no pesticides.

http://healthfreedoms.org/2010/06/09/dirty-dozen-produce-carries-more-pesticide-residue/

Louis,

I am aware of the dirty dozen and clean 15. Geez if I bought everything organic i'd be in the poor house!! And Ive tried the prevention speil with DH. Its lost on him. Im very glad he goes along with not vaxing the kids! One less thing to argue about!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#44 of 49 Old 09-21-2012, 10:43 PM

I sometimes have an argument with MYSELF over all the money I spend on supplements. Especially because they eat such a healthy diet......and I'm supporting them alone. But I just want the best for them.
BeckyBird likes this.

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#45 of 49 Old 09-22-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisw View Post

• Asparagus
  • Avocado
  • Banana
  • Broccoli
  • Cabbage
  • Cantaloupe
  • Eggplant
  • Grapefruit
  • Kiwi
  • Sweet peas (frozen)
  • Mango
  • Onion
  • Pineapple
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Watermelon

• Apples
  • Bell peppers
  • Domestic blueberries
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Cherries 
  • Imported Grapes
  • Kale
  • Lettuce
  • Nectarines
  • Pears
  • Peaches
  • Potatoes
  • Strawberries

Thanks for your detailed post. I will look at it. I am down with severe allergies myself. Went out in the wind without a jacket too.

#46 of 49 Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:

I thought C is the one used when they are sick especially with colds.

Vitamin C is good, it helps you get a energy boots if you are feeling down, I take it instead of coffee, and I also take a glass of fresh OJ when I go to the gym. However vitamin D3 deficiency is linked to multiple types of chronic conditions, and various types of immune ones.

I am new here so I am not sure if posting links is allowed, but if you want to learn more about vitamin D3 read here.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/12/16/my-one-hour-vitamin-d-lecture-to-clear-up-all-your-confusion-on-this-vital-nutrient.aspx

applejuice likes this.
#47 of 49 Old 09-26-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogm View Post

Vitamin C is good, it helps you get a energy boots if you are feeling down, I take it instead of coffee, and I also take a glass of fresh OJ when I go to the gym. However vitamin D3 deficiency is linked to multiple types of chronic conditions, and various types of immune ones.

I am new here so I am not sure if posting links is allowed, but if you want to learn more about vitamin D3 read here.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/12/16/my-one-hour-vitamin-d-lecture-to-clear-up-all-your-confusion-on-this-vital-nutrient.aspx

Thanks. Yes, posting links is allowed.

applejuice likes this.

#48 of 49 Old 05-13-2014, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

As a young housewife, mother and working woman I used to drink OJ with brewers' yeast every afternoon.

It gave me a boost that I needed on those long days.

I know, brewers' yeast is an acquired taste.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#49 of 49 Old 05-13-2014, 01:57 PM

No, my children don't get sick very much, but we live in the tropics.  It's interesting though that my husband and one son are not vegetarian and the rest of us are, however it doesn't seem to affect susceptibility as much as I would have thought.  We eat off our fruit trees and go to the beach.  Our neighbor takes our Noni and makes the fermented juice out of it and it's tolerable mixed with pineapple.  Also have a soursop tree and I make ice cream out of the fruit; tea with the leaves.  We don't eat junk food at all, but we have an ice cream parlour, so what I make gets "tested" a lot :)

Despite this, it seems that my one son who is in a school (the other is homeschooled and I also have a baby) brings home anything and it eventually goes to every family member. 

Oddly, I try to catch their colds on purpose when they're babies, so I can know what hurts- plus hopefully make some breastmilk antibodies to help them out in time.  They've never had antibiotics - never a need.  Never an ear infection.  One urinary tract infection cured with cranberry.

Maybe also examine your lifestyle and see if stress is high for her.  I usually get hit when I am stressed.  I think children are just as sensitive (more perhaps) than adults, and it's too often overlooked (I was a very anxious child, ignored because "children don't get migraines", etc.).  Also sleep is really important for everyone.  Just some ideas.

applejuice and happilymomma2 like this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page