If your child is unvaxed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 09-08-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Is he or she getting sick a lot, basically getting a lot of infections?? Dd is not vaxed but in the cool/cold months she gets sick q. a lot. I have to say her diet is not the best but we keep junk food to v. v. little but it's just that she is not getting enough veges, especially green veges, soups, that kind of thing. She is asthmatic. I shouldn't care about the school but I think they must think that she gets sick a lot because of her vaccination status.

applejuice likes this.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#2 of 49 Old 09-08-2012, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is she getting enough vitamin C and D?

My son gets a lot of colds, but it has nothing to do with his vax status, because vaccines don't prevent colds.  Since I've been giving him vitamin C and D supplements and omega-3, he gets sick less and his illnesses are shorter.

Your child obviously isn't getting sick with VPDs, so it doesn't matter what the school thinks.

applejuice likes this.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 49 Old 09-08-2012, 11:12 AM

You didn't mention how old your child is.  If she is just starting school for the first time after having been home with you full time, it's to be expected that she gets sick a lot.  She's being exposed to a lot of new viruses.  Some kids also just get sick more often. 

It has nothing to do with her vaccination status- there is no vaccine for the common cold!

aggie pop likes this.
#4 of 49 Old 09-08-2012, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

We have years like that.  Some years my kids have no problem, but there was one year where my middle son got every.single.virus that was around, and it took him longer to recover.  We were doing everything!  VitaminC,D, elderberry, echinacea, mushrooms, greens, soups, you name it!  Since then, he's been great and that was 2 years ago.  shrug.gif

#5 of 49 Old 09-08-2012, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)

My unvaccinated children rarely get sick, even as little ones first going to pre-school. If they were ever under the weather, it would last a couple of days and they would be back to normal again. 

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#6 of 49 Old 09-08-2012, 01:43 PM

Vaccines, if they are even working rather than actually making you sick or doing nothing, only prevent the thing they are for (diptheria, pertussis, measles, mumps, rubella, polio, certain strains of the flu, etc). Maybe she'd get less flus if vaccinated for them but same amount of colds and tummy bugs. Mine get sick now and then for a couple days, rarely enough to slow them down. My oldest's best friend gets sick and infections (strep, uti, ear, etc) constantly since infancy and she is fully vaxxed, eats poorly. receives rounds of antibiotics many times a year, and was born a month early by induction.

applejuice likes this.
#7 of 49 Old 09-08-2012, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post

You didn't mention how old your child is.  If she is just starting school for the first time after having been home with you full time, it's to be expected that she gets sick a lot.  She's being exposed to a lot of new viruses.  Some kids also just get sick more often. 

It has nothing to do with her vaccination status- there is no vaccine for the common cold!

I agree with Wildkingdom. The accepted wisdom from parents in my area is that kids will get sick a lot on their first 6 months of attending an institution whether that is school at 5-6yo or daycare at a younger age.

My, as yet, unvaxxed toddler does get sick but not very often. I want to say 3 times this year but not 100% sure. She is certainly not one of those unvaxxed kids you read about on here who never gets sick but it doesn't happen much. I think that is mainly because she doesn't have a great deal of contact with other kids - no daycare, rarely attends toddler classes and occasionally we go to mother's group. Most of her close contact is with adult family members.

I hear what you're saying about diet too. My LO is very anti-vegetable at the moment. We also eat almost no junk food but the lack of veggies worries me. At the moment she is happy to eat plenty of fruit though. I don't love the amount of sugar but I'd rather that than create conflict over food. I offer veggies whenever they're part of our meal and she sees DH and me enjoying them. I'm hopeful this is just a stage for her. Anyway, that's a bit OT, just wanted to say you're not alone with that one.
Neera likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#8 of 49 Old 09-08-2012, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

no, they rarely get sick and it's pretty much stuff that is going around. DS2 brought croup over from his cousin's house. he didnt get sick but DD did.

applejuice likes this.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#9 of 49 Old 09-08-2012, 05:18 PM

My DD (7 1/2 now) is fully vaxed because I didn't stop vaxing until she was 5. My DS (2) is unvaxed. DS caught RSV when he was a few months old (it really wasn't bad at all) and West Nile earlier this year (again, not bad at all). Other than that, I don't think he's ever been sick. Not even a cold so far. By this point, DD had already been hospitalized with the flu, battled ear infections, viruses, you name it. She got sick a lot and when she got sick, it really nailed her. I'm not sure how much of the difference has to do with vax status, but I can't see how being unvaxed is going to make a kid get sick more frequently since most of the typical childhood illnesses are viruses that we don't have vaccines for in the first place.

applejuice likes this.
#10 of 49 Old 09-08-2012, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I'd worry more abouth length of time to recover.  Getting sick isn't an issues, it's just the body's way of responding.  But if they don't recover quickly then you need to look at the immune system and ways to boost it as that would be a sign of it not working as well as it should.

applejuice, Neera and aggie pop like this.
#11 of 49 Old 09-14-2012, 09:50 PM

My unvaxed daughter is almost going to be 5 years old and maybe averages getting sick once or twice a year, which only causes missing about 1 day of school. Her recovery seems fast. Her diet isn't great with what they feed her at school and with what her dad feeds her (we split custody), but I supplement her with Vitamin D, probiotics, raw fermented sauerkraut, vitamin C, zinc & try to feed her nutrient dense foods, which I think all helps for fast recovery. the last time she was sick with a runny nose and she knew she was sick and she was saying 'I'm getting sick", she actually didn't miss a day of school...it just never got bad enough.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#12 of 49 Old 09-15-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post

This is her second yr at school. She is 5 +. The first year was only for a couple of hrs. or more and she fell sick a lot. She was one of the two or three kids that didn't have a sibling already in school. I know older siblings pass on the infections but at the same time the infections increase their immunity since the body knows the germs...

applejuice likes this.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#13 of 49 Old 09-15-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post

We have years like that.  Some years my kids have no problem, but there was one year where my middle son got every.single.virus that was around, and it took him longer to recover.  We were doing everything!  VitaminC,D, elderberry, echinacea, mushrooms, greens, soups, you name it!  Since then, he's been great and that was 2 years ago.  shrug.gif

Can I ask how old he is?

applejuice likes this.

#14 of 49 Old 09-15-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooraloora View Post

My DD (7 1/2 now) is fully vaxed because I didn't stop vaxing until she was 5. My DS (2) is unvaxed. DS caught RSV when he was a few months old (it really wasn't bad at all) and West Nile earlier this year (again, not bad at all). Other than that, I don't think he's ever been sick. Not even a cold so far. By this point, DD had already been hospitalized with the flu, battled ear infections, viruses, you name it. She got sick a lot and when she got sick, it really nailed her. I'm not sure how much of the difference has to do with vax status, but I can't see how being unvaxed is going to make a kid get sick more frequently since most of the typical childhood illnesses are viruses that we don't have vaccines for in the first place.

Thanks. I think there is vaccinations for the flu and maybe I was leaning in that direction. Well, honestly, I didn't think too much about the diseases. My cousin commented one time saying dd gets sick a lot because she is not vaxed and it kind of stuck in my head.

applejuice likes this.

#15 of 49 Old 09-15-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post

Vaccines, if they are even working rather than actually making you sick or doing nothing, only prevent the thing they are for (diptheria, pertussis, measles, mumps, rubella, polio, certain strains of the flu, etc). Maybe she'd get less flus if vaccinated for them but same amount of colds and tummy bugs. Mine get sick now and then for a couple days, rarely enough to slow them down. My oldest's best friend gets sick and infections (strep, uti, ear, etc) constantly since infancy and she is fully vaxxed, eats poorly. receives rounds of antibiotics many times a year, and was born a month early by induction.

She gets flu like symptoms a lot which could be a combination of some of the following: sore throat, fever, high fever, runny nose, cough, sneezing.

#16 of 49 Old 09-15-2012, 05:17 PM

Since flus are so rarely life threatening or damaging and so many risks are associated with the vaccines, I prefer we get sick a few times than risk the mercury, aluminum, seizures, strokes, mental impairments and all those things that might rarely result from it. But for some people the flu vax does decrease number of illnesses, makes them feel awful just right after they get it instead. Also I notice my kids make huge developmental leaps after an illness, especially one with a fever.

applejuice likes this.
#17 of 49 Old 09-15-2012, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

She gets flu like symptoms a lot which could be a combination of some of the following: sore throat, fever, high fever, runny nose, cough, sneezing.

These are not symptoms of disease per se but signs that the body is in a healing phase. The so-called disease goes unnoticed.

applejuice and aggie pop like this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#18 of 49 Old 09-15-2012, 05:46 PM

Both my boys are unvaxed and rarely get sick. But they eat a very healthy diet that's mostly organic with very little meat. And they both take tons of vitamins.

I kinda consider Vit C to be my "vaccine". Whenever my babies come down with something, I start mega dosing Vit C and so far everything they have had clears up extremely quickly. Because of Vit C, I really don't worry about illness/infections. smile.gif
applejuice likes this.

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#19 of 49 Old 09-16-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesmom View Post

Both my boys are unvaxed and rarely get sick. But they eat a very healthy diet that's mostly organic with very little meat. And they both take tons of vitamins.
I kinda consider Vit C to be my "vaccine". Whenever my babies come down with something, I start mega dosing Vit C and so far everything they have had clears up extremely quickly. Because of Vit C, I really don't worry about illness/infections. smile.gif

Hi Shanesmom,

What brand Vit C do you use?

applejuice likes this.

#20 of 49 Old 09-16-2012, 03:39 PM

I'm not loyal actually to any one brand. The most important thing is that it is pure C with no fillers and that he eats it. smile.gif

So I will get different kinds of chewables and spread out the dosage throughout the day. That's the most important thing to remember about Vit C. The body heals best when it had a constant supply bring given over a 24 hour period.

For vitamins in general, Vitamin Code is the best. It's raw. It's organic. It's highly absorbable.

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#21 of 49 Old 09-16-2012, 06:10 PM

My dd is unvaxed and despite our ridiculously good diet and homeschooling we find we get sick a lot in the winter. What seems to help us very much is a homeopathic preparation from the naturopath twice each year. For adults it is by injection and for children it is oral. You must pay for it but is really very much worth it.

#22 of 49 Old 09-16-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Blakely View Post

My dd is unvaxed and despite our ridiculously good diet and homeschooling we find we get sick a lot in the winter. What seems to help us very much is a homeopathic preparation from the naturopath twice each year. For adults it is by injection and for children it is oral. You must pay for it but is really very much worth it.

Interesting. I would love to know what it involves, if you don't mind sharing

#23 of 49 Old 09-17-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm not loyal actually to any one brand. The most important thing is that it is pure C with no fillers and that he eats it. smile.gif
So I will get different kinds of chewables and spread out the dosage throughout the day. That's the most important thing to remember about Vit C. The body heals best when it had a constant supply bring given over a 24 hour period.
For vitamins in general, Vitamin Code is the best. It's raw. It's organic. It's highly absorbable.

Thanks.

#24 of 49 Old 09-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

No, we give our kids 5000 IU of vitamin D3 daily, when they get sick ( cant think the last time it happened) we up to 30000 to 50000 IU daily.

#25 of 49 Old 09-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Interesting. I would love to know what it involves, if you don't mind sharing

I think you just need to phone around to a few naturopaths to see if it's a service they offer. They can give you detailed information. 

#26 of 49 Old 09-19-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

The latest is that after being absent from school for being sick and 10 days of antibiotic and seven school days later last night she complained of a painful throat again. She had strep the last time too. She gargled with salt and apple cider vinegar and went to bed. At 1.30 she woke up in a lot of pain. I gave her motrin and this morning didn't want to go to school. She didn't have fever so we gave her some motrin and sent her anyway. I also went to find some chewable Vit. C tablets this morning before school. The only one available was Nature Made. The first ingredient was Sugar but I got it as there was no other option.

Mom's with healthier kids that responded if you don't mind sharing your diet, it would be a help.

Thanks for your help.

#27 of 49 Old 09-19-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogm View Post

No, we give our kids 5000 IU of vitamin D3 daily, when they get sick ( cant think the last time it happened) we up to 30000 to 50000 IU daily.

I thought C is the one used when they are sick especially with colds.

#28 of 49 Old 09-19-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:

Vitamin C is food for the immune system and when your sick you use it up quickly, but the basic concept is that in the summer and warmer climates when children are outside more, they get more vit D and are less likely to get sick.  

Done with diapers!!

#29 of 49 Old 09-19-2012, 09:00 AM

We do not vax at all and my three and a half year old son has had two only minor colds since he was born, he had a runny nose november of 2011 and a bad cold/virus at 9 months old and those two incidents are the only times he has ever been ill.

We try to eat a good diet but my son loves chocolate and eats maybe a mouthful of veggies once or twice a week. He did eat a half a brussel sprout several months ago. He eats a lot of protein but he loves carbs like pancakes. Plus he still nurses at least once or twice a day.He doesnt get any type of suppliments or vitamens but he does love probiotic yogurt drinks. We buy all our meats from whole foods or local farmers but we do go out to eat and we don't stress about it.

He is not in childcare or preschool yet but we are looking. We wash our hands at appropiate times but we never use antibacterial soap. He takes a bath every night before bed and me and my husband tboth take showers before bed.

I let him play outside in the dirt and we dont shy away from germy indoor playgrounds either. Also he gets plenty of sunshine and we dont always use sunscreen and when we do use it we only use zinc oxide not chemical sunscreen .

All in all he is super healthy bright active and 97% for height . He does seem to get sick a lot less than many other children but I can not be certain why this is, no vax? nursing? good immune system? not in childcare? food quality? Luck?
Sorry your child seems to be getting ill frequently. Thats got to be frustrating for you and especially her.
#30 of 49 Old 09-19-2012, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:

The latest is that after being absent from school for being sick and 10 days of antibiotic and seven school days later last night she complained of a painful throat again. She had strep the last time too. She gargled with salt and apple cider vinegar and went to bed. At 1.30 she woke up in a lot of pain. I gave her motrin and this morning didn't want to go to school. She didn't have fever so we gave her some motrin and sent her anyway. I also went to find some chewable Vit. C tablets this morning before school. The only one available was Nature Made. The first ingredient was Sugar but I got it as there was no other option.

Mom's with healthier kids that responded if you don't mind sharing your diet, it would be a help.

Thanks for your help.

Vit D deficiency has been linked to higher susceptibilty of seasonal flu.  My DD gets at least 1000IU a day of vit D, plus daily probiotics for a mild dairy intolerance we're trying to correct, and 500-1000mg Vit C which I will increase if we're around anyone with a cold.  This past winter she had a minor cold when she was 3mos old, DH and I had it much worse!  We all took Vit C, DD got the cold before I did so BFing didn't help her to get antibodies beforehand although I'm sure it did once I came down with the cold. 

My diet is a mess at the moment as DH has been doing the shopping and is obsessed with meat and junk foodyikes.gif  But, DD is about 99% vegetarian @10mos and super healthy, still nurses about 5x a day.  If I do give her animal protein, it's cage free organic eggs or grass fed organic meats and no more than once a week.   I've gone about 80% raw myself in the past and felt great so I'm working on transitioning DH to healthier, less meat intense meals (slowly, as he doesn't take well to change!) and I'm comfortable going mostly veg at a quicker pace.  I get alot of sh*t from my IL's and friends on how I "restrict my daughter's diet too much" and I need to let her eat more things.  Let me tell you, this kid eats veggies that until recently I had never heard of, she eats beans like they are going out of style, and homemade guacamole?  Just try and stop her from eating a whole bowl!  She will eat anything and everything I put in front of her without hesitation, especially if it's finger foods as she prefers self feeding.  So I don't give her the option of junk food because if she develops a taste for it now, it will skew her tastebuds in the future and I'd like to have her default on healthy things.

We also avoid most sunscreen and do the zinc if we'll be on the beach all day, otherwise we go for the natural skin protection of a nice base tan. 

As for dirt and germs?  We've got 2 cats and 2 dogs.  DD chews on all of them and shares toys (obviously not intentionaly) with the puppy and has now learned to crawl over to the raised water bowl to splash and play. She eats dog hair whenever she finds it, loves grass, and I was almost certain she would poop out a sandcastle when we went to the beach this summer after all the sand she ate.  I don't own antibacterial anything, clean with vinegar and baking soda, and don't restrict who she plays with even if they are sniffing and sneezing. 

aggie pop likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page