Vaccine Exemption - and Epi-Pens - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-11-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Is using an Epi Pen different than Vaxxing? I'm asking because my son has an epi pen prescription and the principal may use this against us when granting us vax exemption.

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

An epi-pen is medicine used in a life-threatening situation, while vaccines are preventive medicine.  I would hope he could see the difference between the two.  Not vaxing doesn't mean not medicating when there is a true health need.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 26 Old 09-11-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Yes - makes sense to me. But probably will not get me a pass with the school, because they only do religious exemptions in my state. So they would want to know that in a matter of life and death that we would stand by our religious convictions.

Just wondering if theres a way to get around that, since our argument was that we dont believe in injecting foreign materials into the bloodstream.

#4 of 26 Old 09-11-2012, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

How about, you don't believe in injecting foreign materials into the bloodstream, unless your son is about to die? 

#5 of 26 Old 09-11-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

I think Im pretty much sunk. I can't think of a reason they would grant me an exemption when my religious beliefs only matter in life and death. :( Any other ideas?

#6 of 26 Old 09-11-2012, 11:48 AM

An Epi pen injects epinephrine. That's a human hormone. It's not a foreign material. I'm not sure why this is even a discussion. Unless your religious beliefs forbid all medications, this is a non-issue. Epinephrine is a medication that is only available in an injected form.
#7 of 26 Old 09-11-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Ok - now that may work.

This is a discussion because I'm truly at a loss and worried about how to handle this.

The principle has not signed off yet on this and has called me in to talk about my sons Epi-pen and the vaccine exemption. The only thing I can think is that they are going to try and use it against me.

But it is possible that Im just over analyzing. Just nervous...

#8 of 26 Old 09-11-2012, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Agreed.  You're not injecting a preventative - you're taking a live saving measure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post

An Epi pen injects epinephrine. That's a human hormone. It's not a foreign material.
#9 of 26 Old 09-11-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing1Thing2 View Post

Ok - now that may work.

This is a discussion because I'm truly at a loss and worried about how to handle this.

The principle has not signed off yet on this and has called me in to talk about my sons Epi-pen and the vaccine exemption. The only thing I can think is that they are going to try and use it against me.

But it is possible that Im just over analyzing. Just nervous...
Sorry, bad wording on my part. I meant that I don't understand why the school is discussing this. They are creating an issue out of something ridiculous- comparing apples and oranges.
#10 of 26 Old 09-11-2012, 02:37 PM

Are you in New York state? That is the only state where I could imagine this possibly being an issue.

#11 of 26 Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I am. I'm so nervous! They are like bulldogs here.

#12 of 26 Old 09-11-2012, 04:42 PM

Can you blame it on your husband? Your husband is going against your religious beliefs by insisting on an Epi-pen prescription?

#13 of 26 Old 09-11-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Good idea. It would have to be the other way around though. My husband was the one who wrote the letter. So it would have to be that I went against his beliefs and didn't tell him that I picked up the epi pen, but now that I realize it was against his beliefs I changed my mind about it.

By the way, he has never had to use the epi pen and we usually dont carry it with us.

#14 of 26 Old 09-11-2012, 05:03 PM

If he has allergis that are severe enough to get him prescribed an epi-pen, he should carry it with him. It could be that he's not allowed to have the medication with him in school, and the nurse will have to keep it and administer it
This is happening in some school districts with some medications.
#15 of 26 Old 09-11-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Yah - he should. I do feel uncomfortable sending him to school without it.

#16 of 26 Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 PM

You seem to be bouncing all over the place on this. It looks like you're letting fear get the better of you. The school officials will pick up on that. You've done nothing wrong. You never said you object to a needle being used to deliver medication. You have objected to the vaccine IN the needle. That's different! Keep that in mind.
#17 of 26 Old 09-12-2012, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you - yes I will say that. Im a bit of a nervous person to begin with, so this situation doesn't make it any better lol! Thanks for the advice.

#18 of 26 Old 09-12-2012, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)

How about using the whole human diploid-cell thing (i.e the fact that aborted fetuses or their cells were initially used in vaccine production)?

http://www.immunizationinfo.org/issues/vaccine-components/human-fetal-links-some-vaccines

Honestly, though, I would not volunteer information unless you have to.  Your reasons behind your religious exemption are not on trial.  I am not sure it is the principals place to judge them.

Thing1Thing2 likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#19 of 26 Old 09-12-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

How about using the whole human diploid-cell thing (i.e the fact that aborted fetuses or their cells were initially used in vaccine production)?

http://www.immunizationinfo.org/issues/vaccine-components/human-fetal-links-some-vaccines

In New York, that is considered a philosophical belief. The religious belief must be against the practice of vaccination, not any specific vaccine ingredients. The religious belief does not have to be against Epi-pens, however. The OP said her letter mentioned injecting foreign materials, but then WildKingdom pointed out Epi-pens inject a human hormone, which is not a foreign material.

Thing1Thing2 likes this.
#20 of 26 Old 09-12-2012, 07:07 AM

In my objection letter, I stated that God created the immune system and that vaccines contain deceased matter that bypasses the very defense mechanisms that God created.  It's not about medicine or needles. 

Done with diapers!!

#21 of 26 Old 09-12-2012, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Get a hold of her > Patricia Finn Attorney   she can answer your questions

Quote:

Yes I am. I'm so nervous! They are like bulldogs here.

Thing1Thing2 likes this.
#22 of 26 Old 09-12-2012, 04:46 PM

If the principal knows your son has a prescription for the Epi-pen, and you have not provided the Epi-pen to the school, that's most likely what he wants to talk about. They don't want to be sued.

#23 of 26 Old 09-13-2012, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

In New York, that is considered a philosophical belief. The religious belief must be against the practice of vaccination, not any specific vaccine ingredients. The religious belief does not have to be against Epi-pens, however. The OP said her letter mentioned injecting foreign materials, but then WildKingdom pointed out Epi-pens inject a human hormone, which is not a foreign material.

Yes, this makes the most sense to me, even though the other comments were helpful.

I hope you are right in saying that the meeting will most likely be about providing the epi-pen. The principals secretary specifically said that the principal wants to meet with all those who are applying for exemption AND have allergies requiring an epi-pen.

To me this sound more like something they are going to bring up as questioning me for allowing an epi pen but not vaccines.

#24 of 26 Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes, this makes the most sense to me, even though the other comments were helpful.

I hope you are right in saying that the meeting will most likely be about providing the epi-pen. The principals secretary specifically said that the principal wants to meet with all those who are applying for exemption AND have allergies requiring an epi-pen.

To me this sound more like something they are going to bring up as questioning me for allowing an epi pen but not vaccines.

Yikes, it doesn't sound good. My fingers are crossed for you that all goes smoothly.

Thing1Thing2 likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#25 of 26 Old 09-13-2012, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Well if it really comes down to it, stand your ground - it's none of the principal's damn busniess why you chose one and not the other.  You have that right to chose.

Thing1Thing2 likes this.
#26 of 26 Old 09-13-2012, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I found this, it may be helpful regarding both the exemption and the epi pen:

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/stateincludes/nyhelp.htm#cfic

Tags
Vaccinations

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page