what now? Life after having a VPD and a vaccine reaction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-21-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Both my kids had Pertussis this summer-  no major problems, scary to imagine but not terrible to live through.  we did vit c and antibiotics. DD1 (4 years)  had some vomiting from coughing. DD2 (4months) was coughing but nothing to serious.

dd 1 had a high temp and seizure at her 2 month vax's. Unsure which vax caused it. NO further vaccines since then. DD2 no vaccines. 

So DD1 has had a VPD and a vaccine reaction.

My current thinking is to hold off all vaccines for both kids until a later date. I am less afraid of most of the VPD wild then of a reaction....however.....

Tetanus scares me a little. Wondering if and when i should try and get her the Td? Thoughts on this? 

Also- thoughts on trying vaccines again with DD1 after her reaction at 2months? 

Anyone else had this? Do you still have faith after your kids get sick (from a VPD or vaccine?)

familybed2.gif mama to dd energy.gifborn 8/08 and dd fly-by-nursing2.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg and one crazy dog2.gif oh and one loving dh dh_malesling.GIF

#2 of 5 Old 09-21-2012, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybistyspider View Post

Both my kids had Pertussis this summer-  no major problems, scary to imagine but not terrible to live through.  we did vit c and antibiotics. DD1 (4 years)  had some vomiting from coughing. DD2 (4months) was coughing but nothing to serious.

dd 1 had a high temp and seizure at her 2 month vax's. Unsure which vax caused it. NO further vaccines since then. DD2 no vaccines. 

So DD1 has had a VPD and a vaccine reaction.

My current thinking is to hold off all vaccines for both kids until a later date. I am less afraid of most of the VPD wild then of a reaction....however.....

Tetanus scares me a little. Wondering if and when i should try and get her the Td? Thoughts on this? 

Also- thoughts on trying vaccines again with DD1 after her reaction at 2months? 

Anyone else had this? Do you still have faith after your kids get sick (from a VPD or vaccine?)

Glad you weatherd WC ok. I would think that the fact that they got through it fairly easily with no complications would give you confidence in their immune systems and that faith you are asking about no?

I was wondering how long did it last for your kids and did you get a positive swab or just a dx based on sxs?

You may want to post in selective and delayed. you may get a more varied response. This board is pretty much no-vaxers. With that said I would never give another vaccine to my child if they had had a bad reaction. I also don't think over all the benefits outweigh the risks which is why I choose not to vax at all. As for tetanus - if you do a bit of research on it and become confident about wound care and what actually constitues a wound that may be of concern for tetanus, you may find that it scares you less. Knowledge is power :)

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 5 Old 09-21-2012, 11:10 PM

I agree with the PP about tetanus.

As for vaxing your daughter again who had the reaction, NO WAY. You got off "easy". No serious harm was done. Don't throw rocks at a sleeping bear.

I am a firm non-vaxer but the one that scares me the most by far, is WC. I'm sorry you had to go through it. I feel like diease is just part of life, and I'm more afraid to inject poison into my babies bodies, than I am to over come a natural illness. Even one as scary as WC

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#4 of 5 Old 09-22-2012, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

thank for these- this is exactly the stuff i needed to hear...again luxlove.gif

familybed2.gif mama to dd energy.gifborn 8/08 and dd fly-by-nursing2.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg and one crazy dog2.gif oh and one loving dh dh_malesling.GIF

#5 of 5 Old 09-22-2012, 11:18 AM

oldest daughter had vaccine reaction - high fever, seizures, etc.  like you, not sure which one caused it.  at 9, she was diagnosed with tourette's.  more and more diagnoses after that until when she was 20, the military doctor asked her (ever so delicately) if no one had ever discussed asperger's syndrome with her.

my second daughter was unvaccinated until she was 4, then she got all of them in two shots, 30 days apart to satisfy what i thought was a legal requirement for school.  she has CAPD but that is likely the result of a years-long battle with chronic ear infection that left her essentially deaf for the first few years of her life.

my youngest was going the same way as my oldest - reacting to each shot worse than the one before so i stopped at the third one bec it took her over a week to get back to normal.  i guess it was too late:  she was diagnosed in june with asperger's.

i worked out the odds of, f.ex, having a fatal reaction to polio:  it's less than 1%!  and yet look at the odds of having an adverse vaccine reaction!  frankly,  considering the state of today's knowledge, i'd FAR rather help my well-nourished and non-immune-compromised child battle a VPD on her own and then she'd be immune from it anyway.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page