Poll: VPDs in the Non-Vaxxing Community (Answer questions in #14 if you check varicella.) - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: If your child is unvaxxed have the contracted the vpd associated with one of the following vaccines?
None 19 100.00%
Hepatitis B 0 0%
Rotavirus 1 5.88%
Diptheria (DTaP) 0 0%
Tetanus(DTaP) 0 0%
aPertusis(DTaP) 5 29.41%
Inactivated poliovirus 0 0%
Influenza 4 23.53%
Pneumococcal 1 5.88%
Varicella 12 70.59%
Hep A 0 0%
Meningococcal 0 0%
HPV 0 0%
Measels(MMR) 1 5.88%
Mumps(MMR) 0 0%
Rubella(MMR) 1 5.88%
Hib 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 09-21-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

What, if any, VPDs have your children had? If you are a partial vaxxer please only answer if your child had *not* been vaxxed for the disease they contracted and please don't answer "none" if they have had any vaxxes listed here.

These are for those that are on the current schedule. If your child has had another vpd please leave it in your comment.

#2 of 37 Old 09-21-2012, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)

2 of my children had CP. Everyone in my house had influenza last year (real influenza).  My youngest has had pneumonia more than once, but she has born with a birth defect that mildly predisposes her to lung infections (we are working on stopping the cyclical nature of lung infections).  I did not tick of pneumococcal as I do not know if the lung infections she gets are preventable by the pneumococcal vaccines.

I imagine the influenza might have been preventable by the flu shot - but who really knows as it is a "best guess" sort of vaccine? I ticked it anyways.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 37 Old 09-21-2012, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My kids are completely unvaxed. My youngest had the flu once, he got it from my dh who got the flu mist at work. They both got chicken pox but that was on purpose, we had a pox party. So the only VPD we got without seeking it was because of a vaccine. Go figure.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#4 of 37 Old 09-21-2012, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

My two unvaxed kids have had chicken pox, and a very mild case of pertussis. They have both had flu like symptoms, but I can't say for sure it was influenza, so I didn't check it off.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 37 Old 09-21-2012, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Only one, pertussis. But to be fair she contracted it at about 3 weeks old so even if I was a militant vaxxer she wouldn't have got dtap yet.

It was a severe case and almost took her life, but she is a preemie and was small and fragile to begin with.

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
#6 of 37 Old 09-21-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoafireteam View Post

Only one, pertussis. But to be fair she contracted it at about 3 weeks old so even if I was a militant vaxxer she wouldn't have got dtap yet.
It was a severe case and almost took her life, but she is a preemie and was small and fragile to begin with.

How is she now?  Did anyone else in the family get it?  I've been thinking about you and your family.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#7 of 37 Old 09-21-2012, 08:55 PM

I don't know whether I should vote- DS is only 15 months..? No VPDs yet.

My older DDs were vaxxed so they don't count for this poll.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#8 of 37 Old 09-21-2012, 09:11 PM

I wonder if the high rate of chicken pox (as seen on this poll) is because people with older kids are voting? The chicken pox vaccine was not around when my teens (13 and 16) were young, and they did indeed have the chicken pox.

Of course, if most of the voters have young children, and their children also got chicken pox, it would point to the fact that the CP vaccine is not very effective at preventing the spread of the disease.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#9 of 37 Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I wonder if the high rate of chicken pox (as seen on this poll) is because people with older kids are voting? The chicken pox vaccine was not around when my teens (13 and 16) were young, and they did indeed have the chicken pox.

Of course, if most of the voters have young children, and their children also got chicken pox, it would point to the fact that the CP vaccine is not very effective at preventing the spread of the disease.

My girls are 14 & 16 and they were both vaxxed for CP as little kids. I thought it was absolutely absurd and protested at the time, but I stupidly (albeit angrily) believed the doctor's threats that they could not attend school with out the vax.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#10 of 37 Old 09-21-2012, 09:59 PM

DD is only 8 months so I'm not going to vote...

Just chiming in to say I'm 23 and got the CP vax as a child- and have proceeded to get CP 4 times so far :/

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

#11 of 37 Old 09-21-2012, 10:50 PM

None for my 2 and 1 year old so far.....praise God!

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#12 of 37 Old 09-22-2012, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
So far my LO has had influenza but it's not on the standard Australian vaccine schedule, it's only routinely offered to children considered at high risk, so I didn't vote in the poll.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#13 of 37 Old 09-22-2012, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I think the poll should specify "without trying".  The chicken pox results are probably skewed because so many non-vaxxer actively try to get their kids exposed.

shiningpearl likes this.
#14 of 37 Old 09-22-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

My girls are 14 & 16 and they were both vaxxed for CP as little kids. I thought it was absolutely absurd and protested at the time, but I stupidly (albeit angrily) believed the doctor's threats that they could not attend school with out the vax.

I just looked it up, and when CP was added to the schedule varies greatly from country to country (I do not think it is part of the schedule in UK at all, for example).

So, if the Op is trying to sort out CP, there are 2 caveats:

1.  was the CP vaccine part of the vax schedule when your kids were little

2.  Did you deliberately try to have your kids catch CP  (per rachelsmama's point)

#15 of 37 Old 09-22-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Good points...If your child has had chicken pox,could you please comment with answers to Kathy's questions.

We have never purposely exposed our kids to cp but we've never had any vpds as far as I know. My kids are 12 to 2 1/2 months.

Momtoafireteam...I've been reading your posts too. That would be so scary. That is the one thing I've been concerned about with having a newborn this time of the year. We've mostly laid low at home but I know you said that you don't know where she caught it. (It makes me angry that so many pro-vaxxing families are afraid of our kids giving theirs diseases but don't seem to grasp that their children can spread diseases to ours too if immunity was not confired via vax, especially with pertussis which doesn't seem to really do that.)

#16 of 37 Old 09-22-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I just looked it up, and when CP was added to the schedule varies greatly from country to country (I do not think it is part of the schedule in UK at all, for example).

So, if the Op is trying to sort out CP, there are 2 caveats:

1.  was the CP vaccine part of the vax schedule when your kids were little

2.  Did you deliberately try to have your kids catch CP

The Varicella vaccine was available when my kids were little (15 and 12). They were exposed to CP on purpose. DD got it, DS didn't. He caught it from DD.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#17 of 37 Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 AM

I voted for CP, yes, they had been knowingly exposed, did not catch it, but I did!!  And then they got if from me.  I had one dose of the vax shortly after I got married before trying for Children. 

Had titers done 3 years earlier, had antibodies at a level of immune, and still got really sick, luckily no major complications, but it's probably the worst I've every been coming in about tie with a kidney infection. 

I truly feel scared for this generation of kids who will have almost no natural immunity, especially with Chicken pox, which can reemerge from shingles exposure. 

Rynz likes this.

Done with diapers!!

#18 of 37 Old 09-22-2012, 09:09 AM

My two that got CP got it when the vacine was not on the schedule in Canada.   I did not expose them on purpose - it just happened.

#19 of 37 Old 09-22-2012, 09:20 AM

DS1had CP (no vax, though it was available) at almost 2. We did not expose him knowingly (but would have). He was attending a child care center in the toddler room (15-24 mos) so I suspect he got it as a result of vaxxed kids shedding. 

I should have also checked flu, but didn't see it until after I voted. Sorry. DS1 had the flu which was originally diagnosed as H1N1, but was not. It still was no fun.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#20 of 37 Old 09-22-2012, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

All three of my kids have caught CP from Vaxed children in different states, years apart. I never looked for it but would have if they would not have naturally caught it.

Measles are from this summer, my baby at about 16 months old caught it (from someone in the nursery-how that happened can be up for debate)

Anyhow, both my other kids and even US parents caught a mild case.

Interesting as I had been given 5 doses of MMR starting at 1 and ending at age 18. Still didn't totally work, but I was the only one who only had one small rash that I figured if I didn't know what it was, I would have never guessed. It could happen to others.

ds-12

dd-7

dd-1

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#21 of 37 Old 09-22-2012, 11:25 AM

youngest daughter was not vaccinated for chicken pox and caught it from the day care.  it was a severe case, too, but bec the mosquitoes were filthy-nasty that year and she's sensitive to bug bites, i didn't realize what was happening.

other than that, she's had the first 3 shots (dtap only)  (i just looked it up - she BETTER NOT have been exposed to hepatitis!) and has not caught H1N1, rotavirus, and measles even though she was exposed to them through the day care.

#22 of 37 Old 09-22-2012, 11:56 AM

My husband gets shingles and my children got the pox from him.

I am a rubella carrier and they just went through that, which was... incredible.  Very uncomfortable but luckily only lasts a short time. 

They had CP at 2 & 4 and Rubella a few weeks ago at 4 & 6.5.

For CP, we lived in Brooklyn.  We now live in the southern Caribbean.

#23 of 37 Old 09-23-2012, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We went to a chickenpox party. My kids probably wouldn't have had it yet if we didn't.

#24 of 37 Old 09-23-2012, 05:02 PM

I have 2 kiddos - ages 7 and 3. The 7 yo had CP after we exposed her on purpose. I have every intention of exposing my younger when the opportunity arises.

#25 of 37 Old 09-23-2012, 09:29 PM

9yo has had pertussis and chicken pox.

6yo has had pneumonia. (But I forgot to click the box for it.)

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#26 of 37 Old 09-25-2012, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

My older 2 have had chicken pox. They are 5 and 3, so it was on the schedule. We went to a pox party. 

They both have had what I *suspect* was rotavirus, but because we did not see their pediatrician to confirm, I can't be sure if it was rotavirus or some other similar bug. Not pleasant, but not scary! I think it would have been much more stressful and difficult to get through if they were not breastfeeding. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#27 of 37 Old 09-26-2012, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

I didn't vote because i didnt want toscrew up your poll, but my oldest son who did receive the chicken pox vaccine got chicken pox  My other kids, who did NOT receive that vaccine, didnt get it, even though they lived with him, played with him, etc.

my husband came down with shingles a few weeks later, and the other kids STILL didnt get chicken pox.

Go figure.

#28 of 37 Old 09-26-2012, 06:33 PM

I debated how to vote, but I finally decided to check the flu choice for my DD (12). She was vaxed fully until 18 mo, then only had her second MMR at 5. Nothing else sense. In 2009, she had what had to be H1N1 flu, before the vax (wouldn't have vaxed even if it was available, even though she ended up missing 2 weeks of school). It was the one and only time that she has had the flu.

My DS (4) has had no vaxes, and has had no VPDs.

Also, on the chicken pox front: DD had one shot. In 2nd grade, she was the only one (or one of only two? Not sure of the final tally) of her classmates that DIDN"T get chicken pox (at least not a symptomatic case ;-P). Yep, that means that out of 24 students, there was 22 or 23 who had a symptomatic case of chicken pox (and I assume that at least 90% of her classmates were vaxed). How's that for long-term vaccine effectiveness eyesroll.gif I can only hope that all that exposure help boost her immune system in some way.

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)
#29 of 37 Old 09-27-2012, 10:51 AM

We haven't had any vaccinations.  My middle son had pneumonia once but my DH gets it every couple of years so I'm not sure if there's a relation.  Otherwise, we have just been waiting to get chickenpox but there don't seem to be many cases here.  We homeschool, too, though we are out and about with pools, playgrounds and sports so I hope we can get that soon.  Somehow they all managed to get coxsackie this summer when it was rampant in the daycares.  DH got it, too, but I didn't.  How weird is that?

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

#30 of 37 Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

What, if any, VPDs have your children had? If you are a partial vaxxer please only answer if your child had *not* been vaxxed for the disease they contracted and please don't answer "none" if they have had any vaxxes listed here.

These are for those that are on the current schedule. If your child has had another vpd please leave it in your comment.

For the purposes of the poll, I answered for my youngest 2 children, ages 7 yrs and 14 months.  They've not had any of the vaccine diseases.

My oldest was partially vaccinated, and also had none.

I should add that I exposed all three of my girls to chicken pox, and none of them got it.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page