Anybody done titers for pertussis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-08-2012, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've read somewhere on this forum that pertussis is not always highly symptomatic with the severe cough... that some people have had it and not known it because they had milder symptoms.  But I haven't found info to back it up.  Anyone?

My younger son is in school.  Pertussis is in the middle school and there's a good chance it will rear its head in the elementary, in which case James (being unvaxed) will be sent home for the duration.  This kid LOVES school.  I was thinking of bringing him in for a titer, but here's the catch: the kid's blood pressure drops as soon as someone tries to draw blood.  Three different techs were unable to get a draw last time, so I don't want to torture my poor kid unless there's a real possibility his titer is high enough to let him stay in school.  He had a horrible, vomiting cough when he was two years old... but it only lasted a few weeks and then he was fine, which made me think it wasn't pertussis. 

Am I making sense?  :)  I guess I'm just wondering what the chances are of the titer being worth it. 

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#2 of 5 Old 10-08-2012, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I'm not sure titers matter for whooping cough - I think you can get it again even if you've had it before. There's no permanent immunity. Even the vaccine needs recurring boosters.
#3 of 5 Old 10-08-2012, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

I'm not sure titers matter for whooping cough - I think you can get it again even if you've had it before. There's no permanent immunity. Even the vaccine needs recurring boosters.

Natural pertussis immunity has been shown to last around 30 years.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 5 Old 10-08-2012, 06:09 AM

I have a problem when I get blood drawn, too. I found that hospitals generally do it better. Also, my primary doctor's office has a terrific woman to draw blood. She knows how to distract the patient and wait until the patient relaxes, thinking she's never going to draw the blood, then she's in and out quickly. Also, she has me lie down. I wouldn't have managed the blood draws during my pregnancy without her! If you can find someone who does it well, use that person!

I don't know if it's worth it to try again unless you know a good person to go to
I don't have any advice on that subject. Good luck.
#5 of 5 Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I have the same problem as James.  And I faint with full out seizure.  Lying down, the right technician, and apparently listening to Florence and the Machine on full blast on my ipod gets me through it.  ;)  Will teach Jamesy some coping mechanisms as well.

But I don't think it's worth it if there was NO chance that was pertussis he had in 09.  I guess I could ask my ped first if he thinks it's likely/probably/maybe. 

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page