Good article on anti and pro vax - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)

I thought this was an interesting read.  Do you think there really are only 2 camps in this debate?  

http://vactruth.com/2012/09/03/we-dont-have-a-choice/

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, I think that's ridiculous. Someone else recently posted something (the article with the hilarious "sample conversations") about talking to parents about vaccination which divided people into several categories based on the amount or type of discussion/convincing someone would need in order to vaccinate their children. While I'm not necessarily saying that article was the bomb, I do think it does a much better job of representing the spectrum of opinions than this article here.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I thought this was an interesting read.  Do you think there really are only 2 camps in this debate?  

http://vactruth.com/2012/09/03/we-dont-have-a-choice/

No I. don't think there are only 2 camps. I think there are people that are in favor of vaccines for their families and vaccinate according to the CDC buit respect other people's choice to not vaccinate and support them in their right to decline and /or obtain exemptions.

I think the article was accurate when it said anyone who asks any sort of question about vaccine safety or efficacy will often get labeled anti-vax - which is unfortunate since all that serves to do is shut down any kind of thoughtful discussion on the matter. But we have to look at who does the labeling. It is the first group detailed in this article and they don't want to have any thoughful discussions about the matter anyway and what better way to ensure that those discussions don't happen than to perpetuate an incorrent stereotype.

BeckyBird and Bokonon like this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Sometimes it does seem as if there are only 2 groups - those who are pro-vax…and everyone else. I would not call "everyone else" anti-vax as it is way more complicated than that.  I agree with Marnica  that we have to look at who does the labelling.

Even on MDC many who are sel/delayed end up arguing one side or the other - it is a very polarising debate, although I am not sure that reflects people's reality.  Maybe it is just the nature of this debate?

It raises interesting questions for me on who set the parameters of labels and what each group has to gain or lose by said labels.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Dr. Sears is seen as Anti-vax by pro-vaxxers, even though he recommends most (every?) vaccine, just on a delayed schedule:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2012/07/23/anti-vaccine-movement-causes-the-worst-whooping-cough-epidemic-in-70-years/

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2009/08/07/dr-bob-sears-stealth-anti-vaccinationist/

So, yes, I do think there is an element of the pro-vax movement that defines everyone as "for us or against us"…but I guess that doesn't mean it is reality or that we have to accept those parameters.

There are non-vaxxers who embrace the term anti-vax (even when, if your read their stories, they do not come across as what I would define as anti-vax) so there is that as well.

#6 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i'm anti-vax for myself and anybody i'm responsible for (kids and pets) but i wouldn't say i'm "anti" vax - if you've done your research and you're comfortable with your choice, vax away.  it's none of my business.

but if you're spouting myths and hyperbole to defend your choice to vaccinate, clearly you need some rectifying on the matter and i will be happy to oblige.

Mirzam and Marnica like this.
#7 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I think that there are a lot of shades of grey in between this black and white pro-vax and anti-vax groups. Or so to speak, each of these 2 groups could be split up into several subgroups and so on. People are not just pro-vax or anti-vax. Behind every person/ family there is a different story of how and why they are doing what they are doing. No article could probably ever grasp the entire spectrum of this difficult topic.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page