My first exeprience with vaccination opposition today - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I have decided against vaccinations after our daughter had a seizure one week after her 2 month vaccines. I began doing my research and I have also be following posts here…I am writing to report that things didn’t go so well today at my daughters 4 month checkup this morning. I presented the nurse with the vaccination exemption (it was a feat in and of itself to get in Madison County, AL) and she rolled her eyes at me, told me I was making a VERY poor choice for my daughter and I am doing a disservice to everyone elses kids and they wont see her again. She asked me to pick up our daughter and take her to the scale to be weighted (she normally takes her to the scale but she acted like she didnt even want to touch our daughter). After that, she didn’t speak another word to me. I kept my composure and politely said that she was entitled to her opinion just like I am, she walked out of the exam room and slammed the door! WOW!!
It was very unnerving. I have never been spoken to like that by someone in her position. I was pretty frazzled.

After she went out she was telling the dr about it, I could hear her thru the door. When the dr came in her didn’t say anything about it, he was just sweet as ever, like he always is.

When he got done asking me questions about her development, food, etc I told him that his nurse was not happy with me. I began to explain to him that for me, choosing not to vaccinate our daughter is a conviction. Not a preference. He was very kind and said he applauded my strength to do what I felt was right but he said that its their policy not to see unvaccinated children. He referred me to another dr and said that if they tell me they are full and not taking new patients to call him and he will personally call the dr. He was very understanding and told me that was the best reason he had ever heard about why not to vaccinate.

Went I left the room to go, the nurse was standing there by the door and wouldn’t even look at me.

Im sure this is just the beginning of the opposition.

I know he isn’t in agreement with my decision but he didn’t try to make me feel like an awful mom for it like his nurse did. Ugh, I was nervous about going and as it turns out – rightfully so!

Just wanted to share my experience today for any of you other mommas in the same boat.

Anyhow, on a lighter note - she was 12.13 LBS and 50th% in weight and 96th% on height. Tall and skinny! :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 12:04 PM

Kudos to you! It does take a lot of courage to do that and you handled it all so well! When my daughter was a month old, a friend asked when she was going in to get her shots, I said I was going to opt out for the time being (meaning forever!) especially until I finished reading a book. Her response, "A book?! You should really get her shots" I politely asked on what basis that I should. She had no answer and just said, "You really should because everyone does." I just kinda laughed shrugging it off and said we were going to wait. Sorry for the tangent but you did great! Thank you for the inspiration to stay strong! 

Old 10-16-2012, 12:15 PM

[applauding]

keep that strength - sounds like you'll need it, from what i'm hearing from ppl south of the 49th.

i don't know if it's bec canada is perhaps more tolerant of alternative medicine (holistic and naturopath doctors are often in the same clinic as regular ones) or if it's cause i intimidate ppl in person, but i don't really get much lip about my decision.

maybe i do and it just didn't register.  i tend to be oblivious to other's opinions, which is why i don't have a problem going grocery shopping in my pajamas (but i do draw the line at walmart fashion!).

the school's principal said i'd have to get the exemption form notarized or saari wouldn't be allowed in school if there was an outbreak of a VPD.  i laughed and said "i'd LOVE to read that letter:  dear parents - we've got an outbreak of polio going around the school.  if your child is not vaccinated, please do not send them to school.  everybody else, see you monday!" 

ETA:  when i went to the lawyer to get the form notarized, he asked me about it.  he'd never seen one.  i explained the whole thing and why i was not allowing vaccinations any more.  he asked more questions and we ended up talking about a half-hour.  he said i had given him a lot of valuable information bec they were looking after their little grandbaby who he didn't think had reacted "quite right" after her first needle.  he was going to look up the links i provided (i seriously do keep them handy on my phone) and then the best part?  waived the $150 a half-hour consult normally costs.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Screw the nurse! - seriously she is just a person who probably gives tons of unsolicited advice in her own life. annoying!

All that matters is that your doctor was respectful and will help you find a more appropraite provider.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:37 AM

Good for you for your inner strength and convictions. They are a blessing to your child.

Let this experience thicken your skin. You will probably encounter more.

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
Old 10-17-2012, 01:07 AM

Hallelujah!!!! to everyone that has stood up for what they believe is right!  I have such a problem with healthcare professionals who "think" they're experts on this topic and then try to impart their all-knowing knowledge onto others.  Very annoying!

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

Old 10-17-2012, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Glad you stood up for your dd!! Stay strong mama!!  Isn't it amazing how when we don't give informed consent for a certain procedure we get fired!!  

Old 10-17-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies, support and encouragement! Its hard when YOU know you are doing the right thing but it seems that people around you dont understand and strongly disagree. Maybe I should begin to care less about what others think. Here in the deep south, it is very unorthodox to go against the grain and participate in "hippie medicine" as people like to call it. If they only knew that that couldnt be further from the truth! Anyhow, much thanks to all of you!

Old 10-17-2012, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)

Sounds to me like the doctor was actually on your side, but his hands were tied by the policy of the office (I'm assuming he is not the ownder of the practice). I've NEVER heard of a doctor going to any effort whatsoever to help a non-vaxing parent find another pediatrician.

Anyway, good for you for doing what you know to be right and not letting yourself be bullied into a bad decision that you'd regret..

Old 10-21-2012, 01:49 PM

Good job; stay strong.  This ride can get bumpy.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
Old 10-21-2012, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post

the school's principal said i'd have to get the exemption form notarized or saari wouldn't be allowed in school if there was an outbreak of a VPD.  i laughed and said "i'd LOVE to read that letter:  dear parents - we've got an outbreak of polio going around the school.  if your child is not vaccinated, please do not send them to school.  everybody else, see you monday!" 

Where do you live - or is it just your principal that is out to lunch?

I live in Ontario.  I had to have a form signed by the municipal clerk - cost me around 10$ dollars. 

Cool story about the lawyer.

OP - hug2.gif  You did really well!  I am surprised the doctor won't see your child, given it looks like she had a medical reaction to a vaccine, where everyone admits is grounds for not vaxxing (although some people are very strict on what they call a medical reaction).  I am glad he was able to refer you.  i think the early years for well child visits are the roughest, school entry time can be challenging and other than that landing is hospital can be challenging as a non-vaxxer.  I had a doctor (nicely) bring up my youngest vax status last year when we landed in the hospital (pneumonia) but before that it had not happened in years.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 10-22-2012, 12:23 PM

i'm in ontario, too - the municipal clerk wouldn't do it and told me to get it done by the lawyer.  =(

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List