Here we go again,school asking for "documentation from place of worship" for RI religious exemption - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted first about this 3 years ago when my dd entered middle school.We were denied the exemption because I refused to produce documentation from place of worship about our religious beliefs.It took a while and many visits,letters and phone calls,and eventually it went before the school commitee and was finally approved.Now it's ds's turn.I recieved the religious exemption form in the mail(at least they sent the right form this time) along with a letter stating that "It is the policy of the Woonsocket School Department to obtain documentation from parents to support their child's exemption from immunizations for religious beliefs.This documentation must be provided to schools upon entry to a new school.As your child has entered the middle school,we must have documentation from your place of worship to support your religious exemption to the state mandated immunizations.Also please complete the enclosed immunization exemption certificate and return it to my office.".

Ugh. Now I have to go through this all over again! Thankfully dd isn't attending the regular high school,her charter school follows the RI law like they're supposed to.At least ds only has 3 years of this,then he can attend the charter high school and we won't have to deal with the WED ever again. I'm going to do as I did before,certified letter and just wait. I'm just so sick of dealing with this. Since the WED currently has a deficit of $10 million,I really don't think they want me to contact a lawyer and fight them.I'm fed up enough with how they are treating ds and not following his IEP correctly($ issue of course,I have a meeting to address that very soon).

Also,the school knows I am a single mom,with sole legal custody,but sent the letter in my exh's name! That just really bugged me,so I'll be correcting that as well.

I'll let eveyone know what happens,ds and I my niece want me to play now. :) Thanks.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#2 of 2 Old 10-19-2012, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry you're going through this- sounds like a huge hassle. Fingers crossed for you, hope it goes smoothly.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page