Dept of Health/Senior Service revised Code of State Regulations for public school children. Need advice. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-23-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a daughter that is in the 8th grade. She brought home a letter today stating that as of Oct 29th any child not up to date on the Tdap will be excluded from school. This is for the state of Missouri. I decided long ago not to immunize my children. Anyone else in this forum dealing with the same problem? If so, how are you handling this? All advice is appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-23-2012, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c100-199/1670000181.htm

3. This section shall not apply to any child if one parent or guardian objects in writing to his school administrator against the immunization of the child, because of religious beliefs or medical contraindications. In cases where any such objection is for reasons of medical contraindications, a statement from a duly licensed physician must also be provided to the school administrator.

Looks like you just need an exemption for religous beliefs or medical contraindication and your daughter should be fine.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#3 of 6 Old 10-23-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well that is what we have used all these years but from my understanding the exemptions do not apply for this. Anyone else?

#4 of 6 Old 10-23-2012, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrew74 View Post

Well that is what we have used all these years but from my understanding the exemptions do not apply for this. Anyone else?

what is this belief based on?

This document seemed to state that medical or religious exemptions are honoured (last bullet). 

At a minimum you could print it out and show them the document and say your child has an exemption on file.  They need to show you the legislation where it say exemptions will not be honoured.

http://health.mo.gov/living/wellness/immunizations/pdf/2011-2012_School_Requirements.pdf

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 6 Old 10-23-2012, 07:11 PM

My guess is it is a letter that went out to everyone (a scare tactic).  If the school already has the exemption letter on file, then I wouldn't do anything unless the notify you that your daughter will not be allowed to go to school.  Then I would start fighting. 

Done with diapers!!

#6 of 6 Old 10-23-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrew74 View Post

They can't just change the law with a letter.  You have the law on your side.  Don't let them bully or mislead you.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife

Tags
Vaccinations

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page