Canadian schools - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-30-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious, are Canadian schools (public and private) in the same boat as American schools with vaccines being "required" with few exemptions?  Or do schools not have anything to do with vaccines?  I'm just interested to what the situation is up north regarding vaccines.  Thanks!

SAHM to DD1 shy.gif, DD2 baby.gif, and one m/c angel.gif

#2 of 12 Old 10-30-2012, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Differs by province.  In Alberta, school registration forms do not ask about vaccines, and there are no vaccine requirements to attend school.  I'm pretty sure some other provinces do have vaccines requirements, but I'd have to look up which ones. 

Here, vaccines given to infants and preschoolers are given at public health clinics. Nurses come to the schools to administer vaccines to grade 5 students (HPV and hepatitis B) and grade 9 students (dTap and meningococcal) there,  but it is not required for students to get them.  

#3 of 12 Old 10-30-2012, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

"Only three provinces in Canada have enacted legislation governing the vaccination of school children, Ontario, New Brunswick and Manitoba. All three provincial Acts contain legal exemptions for all vaccines required for school entry"

http://vran.org/exemptions/legal-exemption-forms/

#4 of 12 Old 10-30-2012, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)

I live in Ontario.  For my children to attend school, I get a form from the health unit webpage, fill it out (exemptions states: due to sincerely held religious beliefs or reason of conscience" and have it stamped by the municipal registrar.  It is pretty easy.  

I think exemptions are completely unnecessary.  To the best of my knowledge there is little difference in vaccination rates or VAD between provinces (exemptions or not) and there is little difference in VAD or vaccinations from USA to Canada (one country with somewhat strict exemptions, one with easy to obtain or non-existant exemptions).  Really, we are not dropping like flies up here from our non-existant or lenient exemptions.  wink1.gif

threenorns likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 12 Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting.  Thank you so much!

#6 of 12 Old 11-02-2012, 02:43 PM

2 years ago when my daughter was born my Dr. told me that is was going to be hard for me when it came time to start school, since we weren't vaccinating.  I had to school my Dr. on the law.  There are plenty of people up here who believe that vaccines are mandatory for school.

ghannit likes this.

caffix.gif

#7 of 12 Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 PM

Both my kids attend school in British Columbia and we've never had to do anything. At the beginning of the school year the vaccination forms come home and I just send them back with 'unvaccinated' written across it.
#8 of 12 Old 11-03-2012, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Yeah the nurse tried telling me that my child would not be able to get into school. Its not true at all, and here you dont even need an exemption. 

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#9 of 12 Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 AM

btw:  it's against canadian federal law to state or even imply that vaccination is "mandatory" or "the law".  if there were an epidemic, either federal or provincial govt can over-ride charter rights but they have to do it regionally, not individually, and there has to be a direct threat to society as a whole.

#10 of 12 Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by basilico View Post

Just curious, are Canadian schools (public and private) in the same boat as American schools with vaccines being "required" with few exemptions?  Or do schools not have anything to do with vaccines?  I'm just interested to what the situation is up north regarding vaccines.  Thanks!

They ask you to note the dates of their last vaccines for each major illness, but no one will ban you from school entry.  Here there is no longer funding for school nurses (school district funded, that is) and admin is already so stretched....that honestly no one probably even has time to check anyway!

#11 of 12 Old 11-16-2012, 05:50 PM

I'm in BC, and we've had no issues. The Health nurses sent some vaccination forms home a few times last year (Our first year), but we just ignored them.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#12 of 12 Old 11-17-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thats great that Canada is a lot more lenient with vaccines!  I really wish it wasn't such a big deal down here.  banghead.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page