Is this legal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-02-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got a call from the school today asking us to vaccinated. We have a personal exemption filed with the school. I am wondering if it is legal for them to ask us to vaccinated if we have an exemption.

#2 of 13 Old 11-02-2012, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snomnky View Post

I got a call from the school today asking us to vaccinated. We have a personal exemption filed with the school. I am wondering if it is legal for them to ask us to vaccinated if we have an exemption.

Are you still in CO? If so then no they can't make you vaccinate, unless they have changed the rules which in that case I will be getting two similar calls. Sounds like they are "pulling a fast one" on you. I personally would complain to the school district about this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 13 Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, still in CO. They didn't tell me I had to vaccinate, just that I should reconsider. I was also told the superintendent asked her to call. I am really just wondering if they can use the kids health file to solicit vaccination.

#4 of 13 Old 11-02-2012, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes, still in CO. They didn't tell me I had to vaccinate, just that I should reconsider. I was also told the superintendent asked her to call. I am really just wondering if they can use the kids health file to solicit vaccination.

Sounds like the school superintendent is over stepping the mark. I can't see how this could possibly to legal to use private health information in this way. What's your school district (if you don't mind telling)?

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 13 Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's not private health info they're using. They're using the exemption you submitted to them. I understand being annoyed by it, but I don't see what's illegal about it.
#6 of 13 Old 11-03-2012, 11:06 AM

without knowing the specifics in your area, i can tell you that here in ontario, if (f ex) there were an outbreak of a vpd, the school could call and ask you to reconsider vaccinating in the face of a direct threat.

both provincial and federal govts also have the authority to over-ride vaccine exemptions in the face of an epidemic, as the legal view is society's right to protection supercedes the right of the individual.

#7 of 13 Old 11-03-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:

I would send a written complaint and request that the school never contacts you again with medical advice.  That's not the school's place.

applejuice likes this.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#8 of 13 Old 11-04-2012, 04:18 PM

I don't think I'd do any written complaint writing.  If a school person brought it up again, I'd just tell them I'd rather not discuss it with them.

caffix.gif

#9 of 13 Old 11-04-2012, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

i agree with this, and remind the school you have a waiver in the child's file, and should you change your mind, you'll be happy to let them know.  And, also mention, any more harassment about it, and  you will contact your atty about harassment  violation...in the meantime, familiarize yourself with school harassment laws.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post

I would send a written complaint and request that the school never contacts you again with medical advice.  That's not the school's place.

#10 of 13 Old 11-04-2012, 04:26 PM

People can ask you to do a lot of things, it doesn't mean you are going to follow through with what they want you to do. 

I would state that the exemption stands as it is, and you are not going to discuss your child's vaccine status with them, as that's something that should remain between you, your family, and your doctor - not your child's school.

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#11 of 13 Old 11-04-2012, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post

without knowing the specifics in your area, i can tell you that here in ontario, if (f ex) there were an outbreak of a vpd, the school could call and ask you to reconsider vaccinating in the face of a direct threat.

both provincial and federal govts also have the authority to over-ride vaccine exemptions in the face of an epidemic, as the legal view is society's right to protection supercedes the right of the individual.

I did not know that.  Ick!

Any links on the above?

In the event of an outbreak, can we choose to keep our kids home instead of vaccinating?

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#12 of 13 Old 11-06-2012, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

That's interesting. When we enrolled our DD in school in Alberta, we specifically asked what the policy was re: an outbreak in the school and if we'd be mandated to keep her home and they said no. Seeing as Alberta doesn't require exemptions either, I can't see how provincial law would override a parent's choice not to vaccinate in that instance. 

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#13 of 13 Old 11-06-2012, 07:11 AM

In California, if there is an outbreak at the school, some kind of notification is supposed to be sent home to everyone about the outbreak, and we are told that unvaccinated kids will be required to stay home so they don't get sick or continue to spread the illness. But there hasn't been an outbreak of anything in my area - or at least there hasn't been one talked about - for me to know for sure how it is handled. 

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page