Science Blogs Pseudo-Skeptics Crave Scientific Respectablity They Cannot Have - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-16-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

This one is strictly for the non-vaxers among us!  wink1.gif

http://childhealthsafety.wordpress.com/2012/11/16/science-blogs-pseudo-skeptics-crave-scientific-respectablity-they-cannot-have/

Quote:
When it comes to medicine, the problem Gorski and his readers have is that their ideas about the causes of disease and how to treat it are not based on science.  This explains the propensity for medical quacks and some of Science Blogs’ apologists for quackery to present medicine as some form of science and try to convince people that it is entirely safe and reliable when not.  They seem not to understand and have also entirely lost sight of the fact that the term “quack” is slang used to describe someone who practices medicine.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 11-17-2012, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Thanks for posting this.

Quote:
The stupid it burns.

LOL. 

#3 of 10 Old 11-18-2012, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)

I like this comment on the bottom:

"Reblogged this on No Compulsory Vaccination and commented:
When pseudo-scientists can’t back-up their assertions about the safety and / or effectiveness of drugs and vaccines, their answer has always been to launch personal attacks on their opponents. These tactics are no longer working. Even those who support Western medicine are sickened by their lack of science and abusive tactics. Their days are numbered – society is waking up. And it isn’t before time either."

I clicked on the No Compulsory Vaccination link, too, and there's some good stuff there, too.

#4 of 10 Old 11-18-2012, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)

Thanks, Mizram.

The article did point out that a lot of the writers on medical skeptic blogs were male.  I must admit I find it a little odd - all the male writers - the balance seems off.  I also wonder how many of them have kids.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 10 Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 PM

The thing I dislike the most about skeptic blogs is their total, pompous, 100% assertion that they are right and that anyone who does not think as they do are stoopid.  Yeah, cuz science is fixed, never changing and it never gets anything wrong (snort!).

Read this if your blood pressure is good - what some skeptics think of those who don't like skeptics.  The pompousness is astounding!

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2012/06/10/the-antiskeptics/

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

” they (anti-skeptics) are at least vaguely aware that you are up to something…that you are a bit more prone to correct some belief they have, or to introduce critically evaluated knowledge into the conversation, or to mention some dumb-ass thing someone is doing with the particular disdain that comes from knowing how wrong it is. 

They may just be good at avoiding learning something new."

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#6 of 10 Old 11-18-2012, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Yeah, cuz science is fixed, never changing and it never gets anything wrong (snort!).

Ha!

Sheila ~~~Happily married 23 yrs joy.gif, mama to five wonderful kiddos with #6 babyf.gif due in July grouphug.gif! familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif
#7 of 10 Old 11-18-2012, 03:30 PM

Ok, I am obviously bored tonight, as I am all over this thread…..

but I see some ardent pro-vaxxers/skeptics in #8 and #5.  I am sure they see non-vaxxers in some of these as well...

http://www.cracked.com/article_16605_the-8-most-obnoxious-internet-commenters.html

ETA:  I thought this was a good read - a person who know longer calls himself a skeptic and why….

http://plover.net/~bonds/nolongeraskeptic.html

#8 of 10 Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)

Wow, great link, kathymuggle!

Some memorable quotes:

"Science has a high media profile and a powerful lobby group: in the midst of a global recession and sweeping government cuts, science funding has generally held up or even increased. Hi-tech corporations have massive wealth and influence, and their products are omnipresent and seen as ever more desirable. "

and 

"That's right: the nerds won, decades ago, and they're now as thoroughly established as any other part of the establishment. And while nerds a relatively new elite, they're overwhelmingly the same as the old: rich, white, male, and desperate to hang onto what they've got. And I have come to realise that skepticism, in their hands, is just another tool to secure and advance their privileged position, and beat down their inferiors."

That certainly clarifies a whole lot at scienceblogs dot com (which I would rather not click on because I'm starting to think it's something of a hate site).

#9 of 10 Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

ETA:  I thought this was a good read - a person who know longer calls himself a skeptic and why….

http://plover.net/~bonds/nolongeraskeptic.html

Fantastic essay. I especially enjoyed the "Medical Science" paragraph and his comments on alternative medicine and homeopathy. Here are some good excerpts:

Quote:

And even at their worst, the hucksters of mumbo-jumbo are only minor-league con artists. Their crimes pale next to those of our financial institutions [but notice how "skeptics" hardly ever take them on]

Quote:
Our political system, education and culture leave a lot of people marginalised, lost, impotent, irrelevant, and made to feel so daily. But these people are not complete idiots. They know something is wrong (though they're not sure what), they know they have been denied knowledge and power (though they're not sure by whom), they know that official life has left them on the scrapheap (though they're not sure why). They look at the reality that has been dealt to them and ask, can this be all there is? 

#10 of 10 Old 11-19-2012, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chicha, that last quote..wow. Pretty powerful.

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012

Tags
Vaccinations

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page