Dr finally coming around to non-vax - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Had to cancel DD's 1yr wellness visit for today bc of work.  The secretary literally almost dropped the phone when I said I couldn't reschedule today since I didn't have my calendar - "But you NEED to come in before the end of the year because she NEEDS to get her shots done!".  I calmly stated the I sign the waiver and we don't vax and told her I'd call back to schedule.  Well she must have thought I was lying because later this evening I got a call from my pedi reassuring me that it was ok for me to not vax, she could live with that, but that if I wasn't coming in regularly for wellnesss visits they couldn't continue to see me.  ::sigh::  I started to laugh and told her no I wasn't avoiding them I just really had no idea about my work schedule in the coming weeks and I needed to sort that out first!  Pedi seemed relieved as her voice came down a few octives after that lol.  Guess on a positive note it's nice to know our pedi is finally coming around to my decision to stop vaxxing and isn't going to be pushing the issue in the future :-)   And on another positive note we have an appt monday for DD with a naturopath to figure out what her allergies are!

#2 of 11 Old 11-17-2012, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's good that she's not giving you a hard time about not vaxxing. We see a naturopath for our medical care, including well baby checks, and she doesn't push too hard on the vax stuff, but does try to talk us into a few. I hope you're able to continue having a good relationship with your ped smile.gif

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#3 of 11 Old 11-17-2012, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

It's good that she's not giving you a hard time about not vaxxing. We see a naturopath for our medical care, including well baby checks, and she doesn't push too hard on the vax stuff, but does try to talk us into a few. I hope you're able to continue having a good relationship with your ped smile.gif

i've never met a naturpath who pushed vaccines.....sounds kinda contradictory to me.  

#4 of 11 Old 11-17-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

Thanks!  This will be our first visit with the Naturopath who was recommended by my chiropractor (she takes her 4mo twins there).  From what I've read of her and from conversations with the chiro, she's not at all concerned about vaxxing and my hope is that if the pedi goes back on her word and starts to push the vaxxing again, I can use the naturopath for well visits instead.  I also have to see how easily this will go in terms of insurance - the naturopathic doc doesn't accept it but will provide me with paperwork to submit to my insurance co who does cover nturopathic visits.

#5 of 11 Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

I also have to see how easily this will go in terms of insurance - the naturopathic doc doesn't accept it but will provide me with paperwork to submit to my insurance co who does cover nturopathic visits.

That's nice. I've never had insurance that covered them. Good luck with your visit!

#6 of 11 Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

i've never met a naturpath who pushed vaccines.....sounds kinda contradictory to me.  
That's what I would've thought, too. We started at this practice with an ND who actually teaches vaccine courses. She recommended holding off on most vax till age 2 but doing several during infancy. We decided to hold off on all of them for now and her response was neutral- not supportive but not too negative. She moved away and left the practice and this ND is her replacement. Honestly, I'm not thrilled with her because she is a little pushy with meds (quick to prescribe abx for ear infections, asks often about vax even though we've stated that we are not doing any right now) and that was something we hoped to avoid with naturopathy.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#7 of 11 Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well I officially love the ND and pretty sure DD feels the same!  Awesome visit.  DD is sensitive to dairy and oats (as I suspected, and thankfully it's not an allergy), and she felt very strongly that it was a reaction caused by the Hib vax - DD had a reaction to the Hib and DTaP vials and is on a detox for both.  She was SUPER supportive of my decision to stop vaxxing and even commented that based on DD's reactions to her past vax's (2 & 4mos) she would strongly recommend NOT vaxing her ever again, and if so to delay as long as possible and spaced out to leave time for detox.  Even said I shoud avoid tylenol for her and if for some reason I needed t give her meds for pain that she (the ND) couldn't control with homeopathic remedies, that I should do alieve instead.  Said tylenol will intensify the vaccine reaction.  She's on 3mos of daily probiotics, mycotox, and biotin to heal her stomach along with and 2wk round of hib detox - 1 week rest - 2wk dtap detox.  Best part was she acually tested her with each of the remedies to see which ones she would tolerate - so of the 3 or 4 probiotics, she only reacted favorably to one!  Good to know since I was doing daily probiotics but never thought about how she might be affected by different ones.  As a bonus, she was curious about my sensitivities and did a few food checks with me - very mildly sensitive to dairy and gluten :-)  So we'll be avoiding grains til 18mos when she will be retested on the oats, and if all goes well she will be ok with them, and shortly after should be just fine on dairy as well!  As a bonus I don't have to worry about any nut allergies as she was incredibly tolerant of those, yah!!!!

#8 of 11 Old 11-20-2012, 01:23 PM

Not all naturopaths completely shun allopathic medicine. In fact some homeopaths look at vaccines as a homeopathic concept. 

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#9 of 11 Old 11-20-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMamaGC View Post

Not all naturopaths completely shun allopathic medicine. In fact some homeopaths look at vaccines as a homeopathic concept. 

Then I am not sure how they can call themselves homeopaths.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#10 of 11 Old 11-20-2012, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMamaGC View Post

Then I am not sure how they can call themselves homeopaths.

AFAIK none of them give vaccines. But they do believe that "like cures like."

#11 of 11 Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

If I wanted another person to talk to me about vaxxing, I'd just visit a vax-pushing pedi more often.  I would never go to a ND that vaxxed or in any way tried to persuade me to vax.  This particular ND was recommended by my chiropractor who takes her twins there and I know she doesn't vax so it was a perfect fit for me.  The older I get, the more I'm attracted to those 'on the fringe' of society that I once considered hippy wierdos ;-)  And ftr - my hubby calls me a hippy weirdo all the time lol

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page