Pharma shills - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you think there are pharma shills on the vaccine forum?
yes - definitely! 12 28.57%
maybe 9 21.43%
no 21 50.00%
other (ok, this one might require an explanation - be careful!) 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Well I know you don't want to debate but I think you got a good portion of people who do believe yes there are shills here or maybe it's a possibility.  That's quite obvious that it's a belief... it's been stated numerous times before

Sometimes controversial statements are made…but over and over again by the same people.

I wanted to figure out if many people thought there were shills here, or if it was just one or two people who thought there were shills here.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#32 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Done. 

#33 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Imakerka, it's not about Kathy or what you think she's alluding to, and we're not talking about members or "certain people." Edit your post or I can delete it for you.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#34 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nm

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#35 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
nm 

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#36 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 AM

Marnica, please don't quote UAVs.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#37 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 PM

Yes.

#38 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post

Marnica, please don't quote UAVs.

Didn't realize it was - saw your post AFTER my own

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#39 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

If you read their posts on other sites, ie commenting on anti-vax blogs, facebook etc, they aren't spamming or trying to sell a product. They are very easy to spot because of the inflammatory content of their posts, no real arugements just insults. No one has said regular posters are pharma shills.

Wait... they actually pay people to leave random insults? What in the world is supposed to be the point of that?

They do indeed. It is to undermine antivax opinion leaders. This is well known, surprised you had no idea about it.

BeckyBird and kathymuggle like this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#40 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I don't think companies are really that concerned about converting people who have chosen not to vaccinate. They're such a tiny, tiny percentage of the overall population, what would be the point?

I don't think it's about converting anti-vax people, but to influence those who are re-thinking their pro-vax position or who are on the fence about vaccinating. 

MDC and social media sites like Facebook are great places for the minority to influence the majority. This is a problem for companies that want to keep people buying their products, whether it's vaccines or gmo-containing foods.

Witness the PR disaster that happened to Cheerios recently:

Cheerios’ Facebook Push Turns Into Major Fail

Facebook fans hit the 'rage' button on GMO

(But nevermind, General Mills fixed the app so that you can now only say nice things about Cheerios.)

Even the Pentagon thinks its worthwhile to create sock puppets to manipulate public opinion in other countries.

Revealed: US spy operation that manipulates social media

Military's 'sock puppet' software creates fake online identities to spread pro-American propaganda

Supposedly it's illegal for them to do that in the U.S. 

BeckyBird likes this.

#41 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 12:32 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if their were pr people working on social media. I just doubt they're on mdc.
#42 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 PM

I agree with some of the previous posters. It seems possible, but more likely that they'd go somewhere where they know their audience would already be receptive. Honestly, I think there's probably a lot more shills for alternative medicines/ products here. For the same reason, this would be where they could find a receptive audience.

#43 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Apologies for the misinterpretation, Kathy. When you wrote in post 7, I assumed that this poll was for non-vaxxers only: "I am interested in the opinion of other non-vaxxers."
kathymuggle likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#44 of 58 Old 12-06-2012, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I voted yes.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#45 of 58 Old 12-07-2012, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

On the subject of pharma-shills, the NY Times actually calls webmd

a pharma-shill: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/magazine/06FOB-Medium-t.html?_r=0

"In more whistle-blowing quarters, WebMD is synonymous with Big Pharma Shilling. A February 2010 investigation into WebMD’s relationship with drug maker Eli Lilly by Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa confirmed the suspicions of longtime WebMD users. With the site’s (admitted) connections to pharmaceutical and other companies, WebMD has become permeated with pseudomedicine and subtle misinformation."

BeckyBird likes this.
#46 of 58 Old 12-07-2012, 12:33 PM

More about shills:

Paid Shills In Forums (Online Reputation Management) http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?/topic/127381-paid-shills-in-forums-online-reputation-management/

"Basically it's 'online reputation management'. Only the best and brightest. Only the most model netizens. They even work hard to become 'volunteer' moderators in forums, so they get to warn and/or kill other people's comments, and even accounts, for being 'too biased' against the company/companies that they shill for. Mostly, all they have to do is turn the page on a negative comment, and it 'goes away' under a relentless 'defense' of Microsoft's (or whoever's) products, business practices, etc. "

http://www.ehow.com/how_2054569_work-from-home-as-paid.html

How To Work From home As A Paid Forum Poster

If you are seeking a work from home job online, can type and have good communication skills, paid forumicon1.png poster positions are widely available. These work-at-home positions pay for posting services on community forums and are a good fit for those who can type fast and create interesting conversations.

Read more: How to Work From Home as a Paid Forum Poster | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2054569_work-from-home-as-paid.html#ixzz2EOrzFg6U

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reputation_management

"Firms have been known to hire staff to pose as a blogger on third party sites without disclosing they were paid. Some have been criticized for asking websites to remove negative posts."

Apparently, many companies are not happy when complaints are made about their products on forums:

"Such negative suggestions which are harmful to the reputation of the organization or individual are often caused by negative contents on personal blogs, complaint sites,scraper sites, forums and comment sections. In such cases where it is not possible to ask for the negative contents to be taken down...some experts advise that the proper thing to do is to push down the visibility of such negative search engine results through proactively publishing useful, positive information about the organizations or individuals."

BeckyBird likes this.
#47 of 58 Old 12-07-2012, 12:43 PM

How Does a Paid Forum Poster Spend a Workday?

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4727790_paid-forum-poster-spend-workday.html

"A paid poster who works independently by approaching individual website owners will have a contract to complete a certain number of forum posts while a paid poster will have assigned websites and a quota."

This is fascinating.  I'd read that they get paid per post, but I had no idea there was a quota.  According to this article, they are not supposed to go over their quota.

"Paid forumicon1.png posters spend a large bulk of their day posting within forums, especially if this is a main source of income."  I wonder if they have a high rate of carpal tunnel syndrome?

"Successful paid forum posters have vast knowledge about a wide variety of topics. A forum poster might start the workday posting within a forum for cat lovers and then eventually end the day posting about sky diving. Since paid posters must have the ability to sound knowledgeable about whatever the topic of the forum is, most forum posters must devote some of their workdays to researching topics.

#48 of 58 Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 PM

Those ehow links aren't about paid shills...at least, not the kind you mean.  They are actually talking about posters being paid by the forums themselves and they are supposed to be driving traffic, not shilling for a company or product.

Quote:

To be a good paid forum poster, you should engage others by creating subjects that encourage conversation.  The point of having paid forum posters is to encourage traffic and conversation at the community so do your best to write with open ended questions that will illicit responses.

Quote:

Paid posters may work independently or through a service like Paid Posting Tools, but either way the poster usually has a certain quota that must be met and cannot be exceeded.  For example, a paid poster who works independently by approaching individual website owners will have a contract to complete a certain number of forum posts while a paid poster will have assigned websites and a quota.

#49 of 58 Old 12-07-2012, 02:08 PM

I had no idea paid forum posters was a gig, but I definitely want in on that!
#50 of 58 Old 12-07-2012, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

It sure is!!  I was contracted by a website to do the same...generate traffic to the site, generate conversation, and get others to join the group.  (Not a pharma or vax site)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I had no idea paid forum posters was a gig, but I definitely want in on that!
#51 of 58 Old 12-07-2012, 03:37 PM

It makes perfect sense, I just hadn't ever thought of it before!
#52 of 58 Old 12-08-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

It sure is!!  I was contracted by a website to do the same...generate traffic to the site, generate conversation, and get others to join the group.  (Not a pharma or vax site)

It seems like a lot of forums have these shills. They now go on many different ones in order to monitor what people are saying about certain products or things like GMOs that require a lot of PR in managing public opinion. 

I guess it's inevitable considering how many people are now looking to the Internet for information rather than the mainstream media.

There are good articles such as "Twenty-five Rules of Disinformation" and "Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression" that show some of the methods they like to use to derail threads. I don't know who the original authors are, and I see variations on them posted from time to time.

You may be familiar with "Invoke Authority," "Demand Complete Solutions," "Change the Subject" and "Emotionalize, Antagonize, and Goad Opponents."

#53 of 58 Old 12-08-2012, 05:23 PM

I imagine the best ones are fully informed on forum derailing.
Mirzam and BeckyBird like this.

#54 of 58 Old 12-08-2012, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Hi All, I've removed some posts that were mocking in nature. Please remember that this forum is support only and keep in mind what Mosaic posted earlier in this thread:

"This thread is about pharma shills and their potential actions on this board and not at all about any pro-vax members or specific posts or posting habits, because that would of course be against the user agreement. smile.gif

I guess a poll about whether or not folks think pharmaceutical representatives are lurking on MDC is within the UA; but it's a fine, fragile line, ladies, so proceed with caution!!"

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#55 of 58 Old 12-08-2012, 07:46 PM

maybe...

Mama to DS REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(March 2010) and DD  baby.gif  (June 2012)

#56 of 58 Old 12-09-2012, 05:09 AM

Interesting thread.  I've been accused of being a shill on MDC many times, by some of the very people posting on this thread.

Let's see.  I've been a member for 4 1/2 years.  I have 653 posts in that time.  That's less than 0.5 posts/day.

Shit!  No wonder I haven't gotten my Big Pharma paycheck lately.

Thanks, guys.  Now I know how to do my work better. :)

#57 of 58 Old 12-09-2012, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Wait Taxi are you saying that Mothering could be paying people to be shills here?  That's a strong accusation. 

#58 of 58 Old 12-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

I think this thread can only continue if it is moved out of this support forum and into the Vaccinations Discussion and Debate forum. kathymuggle, if your intent for this poll can be met in that forum shoot me a PM to let me know and I'll move it over and open the thread for discussion again. 

Closed Thread

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page