need help quickly tetanus scare - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-12-2012, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hey on monday night i was cutting an apple and holding my 5 month old daughter. she reached out a cut her finger. It bled for a bit and i rinsed it off then used hydrogen prioxide. I called dr and nurse didnt seem to concerned told me to put neosporin on it. i bought it an hour late and applied. Later i was sitting on kitchen table and realized i have a potted plant and my son occasionally plays with dirt getting it on table. i looked in the area where i cut apple and didnt see any dirt but i am freaking out now. i went to dr and she was pushing shot. my poblem is daughter is being tested for gilberts disease which is a liver detoxing poblem so vaccinations scare me. should i just get the shot???

#2 of 18 Old 12-12-2012, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

forgot to say she has no vaccinations

#3 of 18 Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 AM

well if you are worried about tetanus the vaccine will not help for this injury, it is a preventative measure, If you are truly worried that this cut needs medical intervention, she would need a tig.  Since this happened over 24 hours ago, how is the cut looking now?  
I wouldn't worry about a little bit of soil maybe being on the table.  Tetanus can only live where there is no oxygen, blood flushed it with oxygen, plus you used H2O2. 
There "may" have been a concern if you daughter was playing with the dirt with the open wound on her hand, but it was a clean knife (except for apple juices) and it was well addressed.  Unless she has circulation problems, then I wouldn't be worried at all.  

applejuice likes this.

Done with diapers!!

#4 of 18 Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

No, I would not be concerned. I've been to the er with a child who needed stitches from a cut and they didn't say anything about tetanus.

#5 of 18 Old 12-12-2012, 09:40 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. It bled, you cleaned it. Continue to provide aide as necessary. No shots needed.

kathymuggle likes this.

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#6 of 18 Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Her cut looks almost non existent like a paper cut. I've been cleaning it three times a day. It's hard not to worry about such a dreaded disease! I guess if dr was concerned she would have made her get tentanus immunoglobulin. I asked her and she said only on cases of true tetanus do we give that, but she wanted me to get shot??? I asked if shot would even do anything at this point and she said it could. Hmm interesting
#7 of 18 Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Her cut looks almost non existent like a paper cut. I've been cleaning it three times a day. It's hard not to worry about such a dreaded disease! I guess if dr was concerned she would have made her get tentanus immunoglobulin. I asked her and she said only on cases of true tetanus do we give that, but she wanted me to get shot??? I asked if shot would even do anything at this point and she said it could. Hmm interesting
#8 of 18 Old 12-12-2012, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningpearl View Post

I wouldn't worry about a little bit of soil maybe being on the table.  Tetanus can only live where there is no oxygen, blood flushed it with oxygen, plus you used H2O2. 
There "may" have been a concern if you daughter was playing with the dirt with the open wound on her hand, but it was a clean knife (except for apple juices) and it was well addressed.  Unless she has circulation problems, then I wouldn't be worried at all.  

While I agree the risk in this situation is extremely unlikely, this part isn't true.  Tetanus bacteria can only thrive in an oxygen free environment, yes.  Tetanus spores, on the other hand, can survive pretty much anything, including oxygen, then germinate into bacteria when free of oxygen again (such as in the back of a wound that is closed by stitches or healing).  I do not know if H202 destroys tetanus spores or not.  

#9 of 18 Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny513 View Post

Her cut looks almost non existent like a paper cut. I've been cleaning it three times a day.

I would stop cleaning it and leave it alone at this point. Do you actually clean a paper cut three times a day?

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#10 of 18 Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. What is done is done. I was just cleaning wound as per drs orders for four days. Just wanted some reassurance that the shot would do nothing at this point. I guess only time will tell.
#11 of 18 Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 PM

I personally wouldnt' be concerned. It doesn't sound very high risk to me.
#12 of 18 Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

I am making myself so sick over this. It seems like the bacteria for tetanus is everywhere. Can a dishwasher sanitize these spores? I can't find any info for cases on tetanus in infants besides neonatal??
#13 of 18 Old 12-14-2012, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I haven't had a tetanus shot in 30 yrs, my 3 kids who are grown, have never had one....no problems...tetanus disease is mainly found in drug users who don't know how to clean their wounds or have no access to water to wash up.  Tetanus spores also live in horse dung-did your plant on the table have soil in it that had used horse dung as fertilizer?   I wouldn't be worried at all over the cut your dd got... mine have gotten much much worse, with no issues, not even infection.   

Quote:
CDC officials analyzed 233 tetanus cases reported to the National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System during 2001 to 2008. The case-fatality rate was 13.2 percent among the 197 cases with known outcomes, the report says.

That is not a lot of cases in a 7 yr period

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2011/03/31/CDC-Still-some-cases-of-tetanus-in-US/UPI-25521301603177/#ixzz2F1heB2Yi

another good article

http://ceaccp.oxfordjournals.org/content/6/3/101.full

#14 of 18 Old 12-14-2012, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny513 View Post

I am making myself so sick over this. It seems like the bacteria for tetanus is everywhere. Can a dishwasher sanitize these spores? I can't find any info for cases on tetanus in infants besides neonatal??

Stop it!  (said firmly but lovingly)  She is fine.  It is a cut.  Let it heal.  You cleaned it and it bled a little (both good things).  I really do not think you have much cause for worry.

Tetanus is really rare.  Period.  It is rare among vaxxed and non vaxxed:

From the Centre for disease control:

"A marked decrease in mortality from tetanus occurred from the early 1900s to the late 1940s. In the late 1940s, tetanus toxoid was introduced into routine childhood immunization and tetanus became nationally notifiable. At that time, 500–600 cases (approximately 0.4 cases per 100,000 population) were reported per year.

After the 1940s, reported tetanus incidence rates declined steadily. Since the mid-1970s, 50–100 cases (~0.05 cases per 100,000) have been reported annually. From 2000 through 2007 an average of 31 cases were reported per year."

If this is off topic, just ignore it if you like- but in case it is helpful:

When I find my brain trapped in an unproductive negative worry loop, I try to visualise either blowing my worry away (often in a balloon) or sticking the worry in a box to be looked at if i ever feel the need.  I know it is hokey, but it works for me.  

frecklesihave likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#15 of 18 Old 12-17-2012, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm also someone who hasn't had a tetanus booster in over 30 years. And I've had scrapes, stings, splinters and the like. I'm still here.

My DD has also not had any vaccines to date, is a habitual nail biter (drives me batty) and then plays out in the dirt in the schoolyard with her fingernails bitten below the quick. It's been three years now of this and nothing has come of it. So, I suspect tetanus is a lot more difficult to acquire than just questionable wound + dirt = tetanus. BTW I don't advocate that anyone else's kids stick gnawed down fingers into the dirt, and my own kid knows it makes me uneasy, but she continues to play in that manner anyway. That's one reason we have started re-evaluating that particular vaccine, to see if it has any merit in reducing risk for her.

But a minor, indoor cut like the OP described that has been cleaned as much as that one has? I wouldn't be worrying about it.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#16 of 18 Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 PM

For next time, I mean.
#17 of 18 Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eminurse View Post

For next time, I mean.

righhhhhhttttttttttt

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#18 of 18 Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

eminurse, your post has been removed as it violates the guidelines of this forum. I realize you are not here and we want to welcome you as a positive and helpful member wanting to participate in beneficial and respectful discussion. But general debate of a topic goes to our Vaccination Discussions and Debate forum. Please read our rules and guidelines before posting any further.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page