Disappointed With TedX - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

***Reminder: I'm Not Vaccinating Forum***

Sigh....TedX, you disappoint me. I enjoyed many of your speakers, but I do not like some of your new Good vs. Bad science guidelines. I understand you want to filter out the bad from the good, but I disagree with some of your criteria for the "bad".

Example:

Red Flag Topic

Food science, including:

• GMO food and anti-GMO foodists
  • Food as medicine, especially to treat a specific condition: Autism and ADHD, especially causes of and cures for autism

Because of the sad history of hoaxes with deadly consequences in the field of autism research, really look into the background of any autism-related talk. If you hear anything that sounds remotely like, “Vaccines are related to autism,” — RUN AWAY. Another non-legitimate argument: “We don’t know what works, so we have to try everything.” Pretty much all the time, this argument is designed to cause guilt in suffering parents so they’ll spend money on unproven treatments.

huh.gif

http://blog.tedx.com/post/37405280671/a-letter-to-the-tedx-community-on-tedx-and-bad-science

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#2 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

And

Marks of bad science:

Speaks dismissively of mainstream science.

As we all know, only a drug can cure, treat, or prevent disease.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#3 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)

Is TEDx part of the Ted talks franchise?

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 AM

I was not in love with the list of how to spot Bad science:

• Has failed to convince many mainstream scientists of its truth
  • Is not based on experiments that can be reproduced by others
  • Contains experimental flaws or is based on data that does not convincingly corroborate the experimenter’s theoretical claims
  • Comes from overconfident fringe experts
  • Uses over-simplified interpretations of legitimate studies and may combine with imprecise, spiritual or new age vocabulary, to form new, completely untested theories.
  • Speaks dismissively of mainstream science
  • Includes some of the red flags listed in the two sections below

Right.  Sounds like disagreeing with mainstream science on anything is not allowed.  eyesroll.gif

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 AM

More lovely snippets:

"Because of the sad history of hoaxes with deadly consequences in the field of autism research, really look into the background of any autism-related talk. If you hear anything that sounds remotely like, “Vaccines are related to autism,” — RUN AWAY. "

and this  one:

"Demands that TEDx present “both sides of an issue” when one side is not backed by science or data. This comes up around topics such as creationism, anti-vaccination and alternative health."

More suppression of information….

Dang it, becky!!!  I liked TED talks!  orngtongue.gif

Oh, well, I will probably still listen…but I am disappointed

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

#6 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

You crack me up!!

We can still listen to Ted, but don't expect any breaking info about vaccines!

I still love this one..... before the new guidelines about the "anti-GMO foodists".

applejuice likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page