Do you Go to Well Baby Visits? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I did not with my last 3 kids....got tired of the same old tirade about vaccines...so we stopped going.   Incidentally, since we didn't go to the germ filled office, and i was a stay at home mom, the kids were hardly ever sick.  

#2 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son was hardly ever sick, either. He has never taken antibiotics. According to my brother's wife, we're just lucky. There's nothing we've done to have influenced that outcome.

Sorry about the tirade.
#3 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 05:42 AM

I never went to well baby visits - I don't see any need to measure and weigh a thriving, content baby.  They went for their vaccines and that was all.

Edit - my apologies - I did not realising this was an 'I'm not vaccinating' board.  No discussion or implication of disagreement with other people's choices intended and I will respectfully not contribute further. 

Thanks.  I'll try to be more aware of the board I'm contributing to next time.  

#4 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)

I did until about 6 months with each child.  Neurotic new mommy syndrome, I guess!  After about 6 months I felt more confident that they were growing as they should be, and stopped.  We use doctors on a as-needed basis now. 

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Hi All, As the forum guidelines state:

"This is a support-only forum for those not or those seriously considering not vaccinating. Here we host discussion of issues that arise when choosing to not vaccinate and sharing of resources and information that are related to the no-vax decision. Members who are vaccinating should not post here to debate or argue accuracy or opinion of things posted. "

Silverrring, please edit your post above.

Thank you,
HHM

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#6 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyMommy View Post

Hi All, As the forum guidelines state:

"This is a support-only forum for those not or those seriously considering not vaccinating. Here we host discussion of issues that arise when choosing to not vaccinate and sharing of resources and information that are related to the no-vax decision. Members who are vaccinating should not post here to debate or argue accuracy or opinion of things posted. "

Silverrring, please edit your post above.

Thank you,
HHM

What? All she said was that she went to the visits and vaccinated her child but for no other reason. There is no debate going on. She is not arguing. She answered the question. I really don't see the problem here. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 08:55 AM

I did with my DS. I wanted to develop a relationship with our ped who is supportive of us not vaccinating so it wasn't an issue. With my new little one I wasn't going to take her regularly because We have a great relationship with ped already so saw no reason to. However when I was pregnant, my employer started this BS program where all employees and covered dependents must go to all scheduled preventative appointments. If one "choose" not to participate in this program, their monthly premiums go up to a ridiculous amount. So while they tell you its a choice, unless you are independently wealthy and can afford to pay 1000/month for premiums - it really isn't a choice at all. So I'm taking her, but its fine as i said before we love our pedi. Its just inconvenient!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#8 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

What? All she said was that she went to the visits and vaccinated her child but for no other reason. There is no debate going on. She is not arguing. She answered the question. I really don't see the problem here. 

Just adding to this…...

Many people who are non-vax now were not necessarily non-vax in the past.  

My first was fully vaxxed until 18 months, my middle has had no vaccines, and my youngest has had one.  i consider myself non-vax, with very slight sel/del leanings.  

I think being non-vax is more about where you stand right now, than what happened in the past.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#9 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

I did with my DS. I wanted to develop a relationship with our ped who is supportive of us not vaccinating so it wasn't an issue. With my new little one I wasn't going to take her regularly because We have a great relationship with ped already so saw no reason to. However when I was pregnant, my employer started this BS program where all employees and covered dependents must go to all scheduled preventative appointments. If one "choose" not to participate in this program, their monthly premiums go up to a ridiculous amount. So while they tell you its a choice, unless you are independently wealthy and can afford to pay 1000/month for premiums - it really isn't a choice at all. So I'm taking her, but its fine as i said before we love our pedi. Its just inconvenient!

OT, but just adding to this…..

My mother did not get life insurance she should have when my father died because my father did not go to his "yearly physicals."  i doubt most people have insurance on their children, but if you do, read the policy…..

Also, if you have any reason to believe CPS could be involved in your life, regular "well child visits" might look good.  If I felt I was under a CPS microscope I would make and keep appointments 

#10 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Hi All, Concerns were raised (through flags; thank you for flagging when you have a concern!) about Silverrring's post as generally posting in this forum is for those non vaccinating or considering not vaccinating, so that's why the guidelines were posted and the request for edit was made. Silverrring, thanks for your kind and thoughtful edit; I think your post as it reads now is a helpful contribution to this discussion. And I appreciate everyone's openness to those not vaccinating and to those answering questions on threads here. smile.gif Thanks, HHM

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#11 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 10:21 AM

We went to my now 3 month old's first well baby visit and stopped after that.  She was a bit stuffy and they insisted on deep suctioning her nose so they could have her mucous sent off for testing, even though I was using saline, a humidifier and aspirating her at home AND the mucous was clear at that point.  It was an awful experience and completely unnecessary.  Every time I think about it I wish I'd had the wherewithal to tell them to please get your $%8!& hands off of my newborn kthanx.  Anyway, after that they started insisting on "shots", and after that ordeal I'd hate to see how they administer those.  So, no thanks, I think she's better off without those visits.

#12 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaKat405 View Post

We went to my now 3 month old's first well baby visit and stopped after that.  She was a bit stuffy and they insisted on deep suctioning her nose so they could have her mucous sent off for testing, even though I was using saline, a humidifier and aspirating her at home AND the mucous was clear at that point.  It was an awful experience and completely unnecessary.  Every time I think about it I wish I'd had the wherewithal to tell them to please get your $%8!& hands off of my newborn kthanx.  Anyway, after that they started insisting on "shots", and after that ordeal I'd hate to see how they administer those.  So, no thanks, I think she's better off without those visits.

OMG! that is crazy!! If the mucus was clear what did they think they would find?  Wow!!!! I don't blame you. I hope you are able to find a new practice as well!!

#13 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 AM

I am very lucky in that I have a pediatrician who respects my decision to not vax.. Of course, I sought him out before I had my daughter.He's not in our network and not super close to us, but felt it was worth it to not have to constantly fight a ped.  We still go to well visits because I feel he needs to witness how healthy an unvaxed naturally raised child is as much as possible. We never see him otherwise. My husband also feels we should have him do his routine checks to have a record. Thankfully, I have a very healthy girl attributing that to breastfeeding, homemade whole food, and supplements. I am also lucky in that he listens to non traditional things I have tried and doesn't snub me for trying especially since what I try works. For example. he gave me a script for estrogen cream because my daughter had a labial adhesion. After researching I told him that I found applying flax seed oil (phytoestrogen) twice a day for a week opened it up. He said "whatever works"

I know I am very lucky, but also feel these guys need to hear that alternatives work.

Marnica and Songy like this.
#14 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 PM

With my first, I had found a family doctor and took him in at one week and 1 month old because he was homebirth.  He was supportive of non-vax, but I hate doctors.  My second, only at 30 days (because he was also homebirth and I didn't want CPS nightmares some of my other AP friends in NYC had been through.  I didn't even like the doctor taking my first to be weighed on the other side of the room...

I have a 2 month old now and in order to get a birth certificate for an unassisted birth in costa rica, you have to take the baby to a doctor and get a letter that says the baby's vital stats.  She was 5 days old.  He basically said, "your daughter is VERY healthy and you can bring her whenever you want!" - he was genuinely thrilled that my children were basically never subjected to any medical care whatsoever and born at home, etc, not antibiotics or infections ever... 

The CR doctor was a bit too thorough - I had to stop myself because I felt he was doing us a favor by giving us the stuff we needed for the certificate.  I regret it.  I can't bear the thought of her screaming on his table while he showed me exercises I am supposed to do to her legs(! - she's very strong.... no need and I have never seen this before).  He didn't seem to care that she was crying and very upset and possibly even thought it was cute ("awww shhhhh" stuff).  She will never go for an exam again, but we'll need some signatures from him in the future.  : /  if it were up to me, i would never have taken any of them.  Just feel threatened  into it... 

Actually, come to think of it, I took my 7 year old when he was 5 for a school exam (we'd homeschooled always, but he wanted to try public school).  So 3 times for him and once for the other 2.

I don't think there's any reason to take them in for "well baby visits" - it's just a nice way of saying "assaulted by tests and needles" and a steady income for them.  Horrible, imo.

#15 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 02:48 PM

DD has gone to all of hers I didn't even realize there were people who didn't go, that is not meant to be mean or judgemental in anyway, just didn't know.eyesroll.gif Anyway first of all our doctor is really laid back, from talking to other parents our well baby check ups were not nearly as harsh/intrusive as others have it. Mostly it was a good time of open forum to discuss any questions or concerns I might have. I also fully believe in having check ups because catching childhood disease can be as simple as having a trained professional lay eyes on a child every once and a while. That is my personaly opinion. Usually the doctor just asks a few questions and unless I have a concern he doesn't poke her, stretch her, make her undress etc. Just looks for ques of whether or not she is healthy.

#16 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Funny you mention "germ filled" - I took DD for her last well baby and after sitting in the waiting room for an hour the week before xmas we both had a lovely cold for the holidays!  We've done all the well baby, but her ped is crazy obsessed with us going.  I stopped vaxxing after her shots they did at 5mos, so I started to decline and initial the waiver at the 6mo appt.  We only got a lecture once but now she has the form ready to go for me clipped to the outside of the file.  Anywho, it was coming up to her 1yr visit in Nov but I had to work a full day instead of my usual p/t hours so I canceled.  The secretary had a panic attack when I told her I wasn't rescheduling at that time bc I didn't have my calendar - "but she's DUE for shots!".  duh.gif Later that night I got a call from the ped herself wondering why I didn't reschedule so I explained that I wasn't avoiding I really didn't know when I could come in.  She was 'relieved' and flat out told me that if I do not keep up with wellness visits they will not continue to see me as a patient - even called me the night before the rescheduled visit to leave a message about how she couldn't wait to see us!  Talk about pushy orngtongue.gif.  I'm not against well visits as a concept, but when there's a demand that I go or else, that gets me a bit aggitated.  Guess lesson learned and we won't be making any scheduled visits around holidays or special ocassions in the future!

#17 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 04:49 PM

We went once around 6 mo. to "say hello" to my ped friend, just in case we needed care at any point in the future. He was fine with me blowing him off for the rest of the visits, thank goodness. Oh, and we had to go say hello again the following year for the daycare form. She still remembers how he blew bubbles for her. That was about it! It's like, I paid $110 to get a form filled out. Sheesh!

Oh, and the lead test. Totally forgot that one, but that wasn't really a wbv.

#18 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Not as such. I do like to weigh them periodically so we go to the newborn drop-in clinic during the first 8 weeks. After that I just weigh them myself in the Community Health Centre's self-weigh area.

We took both to the GP for the 1 week and 6 week checks. Other than that only if they had an illness or injury which required more treatment than we could provide at home.

We don't need to develop a relationship with a doctor because their GP is our family doctor and we already have a good relationship. And, with our health backgrounds, DH and I feel comfortable that we have a good chance of recognising if something was wrong.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#19 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

We are delayed/selective vax and also a homebirth family. My research with current homebirth stats had me a bit concerned with postnatal care. We opted for well-child visits in those early days/weeks and then somewhat on schedule in the first year. We skipped some but went for quite a few without vaccinating at all for the first 18 months. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#20 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 PM

With DS we've gone to a few. Not along the recommended schedule, but we've tried to make it in somewhat regularly. I do like having a rapport with his doctor, and I really like the ND we're seeing now. With my older DDs we did exactly what was expected of us, by the book with visits, shots, the whole shebang greensad.gif

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#21 of 25 Old 12-31-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanamommyphd07 View Post

We went once around 6 mo. to "say hello" to my ped friend, just in case we needed care at any point in the future. He was fine with me blowing him off for the rest of the visits, thank goodness. Oh, and we had to go say hello again the following year for the daycare form. She still remembers how he blew bubbles for her. That was about it! It's like, I paid $110 to get a form filled out. Sheesh!

That's how I felt when I took my oldest for a visit for entering school!  He knew we didn't want anything other than the forms filled out and so he did that.  Unfortunately, the price tag is the same whether they go through the motions of stethoscope, weighing, etc. anyway : /

#22 of 25 Old 01-01-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

We don't need to develop a relationship with a doctor because their GP is our family doctor and we already have a good relationship. And, with our health backgrounds, DH and I feel comfortable that we have a good chance of recognising if something was wrong.

Agreed.  We also have a GP for care, so I never the felt the need to take a child to a doctor to establish a relationship.  We already have one.  We have had the same GP for 10 years now.  We do not see her often, but it is not "never."

#23 of 25 Old 01-01-2013, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I wish we had had better insurance and more money to see a doctor like the one I have now. But we had Kaiser, which seems to have the worst mainstream doctors, at least in our area.

I didn't like the idea of sitting in germ-filled waiting rooms either. I just got a bad feeling from the industrial-looking cookie cutter design with lovely fluorescent lights and no windows. 

We did go to a few visits before we gave up. I got tired of being hassled about vaccines, getting condescending remarks about exclusively nursing, and no support with my concerns about dd's old food sensitivities. 

#24 of 25 Old 01-01-2013, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

We have a family practice doctor who is fine with us not vaxxing. We don't generally do well-baby or child check-ups, but we have had a few minor issues with our youngest that I want to keep an eye on, so we've been taking her.

#25 of 25 Old 01-02-2013, 04:49 AM

I did 2 visits with my son, in the fist few months.  Then no more WBV's.  With my daughter I didn't do any. There were a few factors at play as to why I didn't do WBV's.  But not vaccinating certainly played a role.  Because I didn't want to deal with the Dr. basically being disgusted with me.  Now my kids are 5 and 2.  And when our new family Dr. asked about their vaccinations, and we said they don't have any, he shrugged and said "well it's your choice".  And I felt this huge weight off of my chest.  I know he doesn't agree with me, but I have someone I can take my kids to when they are sick and I don't have to have such dread about going.  That is really, really important to me.  Don't agree with me...cool (I get it)...but don't make me feel like crap, because you won't change my mind, and it's better for my kids if mama doesn't have anxiety about taking them to the DR.  In hindsight, I may have taken my kids to some more visits if we had a DR. I liked. 

caffix.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page