Are You Afraid Your Unvaccinated Child will Catch One of the Childhood diseases? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I had some concern with my first child, as he is the one who is partially vaxed....when the others came along, i was much more knowledgeable on the issue, and really never gave it a second thought... my kids are in their late teens now, and they all had chicken pox 14yrs ago, all three kids at once.  Other than that, they've grown up very healthy, their pedi has remarked on it too, through out the years, and kept telling me to do whatever it is i'm doing with the kids.  My youngest also outgrew his asthma at age 10 as well, and now going on 17, hasn't had an issue with it in years.  We all sailed thru the swine flu 3yrs ago without probs as well.  I have actually never heard of an outbreak of anything in CT, since we moved here 16yrs ago.  

Taximom5 likes this.
#2 of 14 Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hope I don't get flamed for such a reckless thought, but I'm actually hoping she "catches" some of them. It will save her the thought process later in life over the vaccines for this and that. Funny thing: in my baby book, there is an entry spot for when I caught mumps, "german measles", measles, chicken pox, and some other things. It wasn't a vaccine record, rather a list of when I got those diseases and how they were treated successfully. But there was a vax record to fill in for polio and smallpox...

Taximom5 and aggie pop like this.
#3 of 14 Old 12-31-2012, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanamommyphd07 View Post

Hope I don't get flamed for such a reckless thought, but I'm actually hoping she "catches" some of them. It will save her the thought process later in life over the vaccines for this and that. Funny thing: in my baby book, there is an entry spot for when I caught mumps, "german measles", measles, chicken pox, and some other things. It wasn't a vaccine record, rather a list of when I got those diseases and how they were treated successfully. But there was a vax record to fill in for polio and smallpox...

I remember that in the old style baby books as well. 

No, I'm not scared. And I do make a distinction between what were once considered childhood illnesses, like chicken pox, and what are serious infectious diseases.

I had three of the VADs. Worst for me was pertussis, but then my super conventional parents and doctor wouldn't have known about any other treatment protocols to help with the cough.

We've also had pertussis through this house. It wasn't pleasant but manageable once we got the SA dosage right.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#4 of 14 Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do worry about tetanus and pertussis. I hope we'll not have to deal with either, and I am relieved that we made it past the little baby stage without DS contracting pertussis, but with two older kids in public school, and us living in an area where there've been recent outbreaks, I think about that one some. I don't know where to buy SA, but I've thought I might should get some to keep on hand...

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#5 of 14 Old 12-31-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

I do worry about tetanus and pertussis. I hope we'll not have to deal with either, and I am relieved that we made it past the little baby stage without DS contracting pertussis, but with two older kids in public school, and us living in an area where there've been recent outbreaks, I think about that one some. I don't know where to buy SA, but I've thought I might should get some to keep on hand...

What is "SA"?  Ascorbic Acid of some sort?

Sorry- I genuinely have no idea and would like to know more about it.

Allison

#6 of 14 Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 PM

No... I have a 2 month old now, but my two boys are 7 and 4.5.  We lived in New York City then and Costa Rica (Southern Caribbean) now.

The diseases we dealt with in NYC were Chicken Pox (my husband gets shingles) and Swine Flu (no big deal at all...).

The one in CR was significantly rougher: Rubella for them (I am a carrier).  Dengue for me (though not a VPD yet, they have a few on the table).  Dengue is amazingly horrible, if anyone was wondering!

I worry about them picking up parasites running around barefoot all the time (we dealt with pinworms which was horrible) and from well water; leishmaniasis, lice, etc., but not diseases.  Their entire kinder (school starts at 7 here, but there are private Kinders) is without artificial immunity- 40 or so children all together in a homeschool environment.

#7 of 14 Old 12-31-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie pop View Post

What is "SA"?  Ascorbic Acid of some sort?
Sorry- I genuinely have no idea and would like to know more about it.

Allison
Yeah it's sodium ascorbate- supposed to be a great form of vit c for helping the body fight whooping cough. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I might post some info..?

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#9 of 14 Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Like many of you I wish there were more things dd could be exposed to in order to strengthen her immune system. It seemed like she grew stronger and matured somehow after she got over CP. 

But  kids are more likely to have things like asthma, eczema, allergies instead. In fact yesterday someone in one of her classes got an asthma attack. It was so scary and sudden it made the girl cry. The mom is mainstream so I suspect her kids are vaccinated. 

Before I learned about helpful health remedies like loading up on vitamin C, I had what I now suspect was WC. It was a cough that lasted forever, and I remember my ribs hurt so much! I can see why people who don't know about supplements would be scared into getting the vaccine. 

My dd is prone to get small coughs now and then, mainly at night. I just give her  the Boiron Chestall homeopathic cough syrup. She also likes drinking the Traditional Medicinals brand tea for children, sometimes even when she doesn't need it. 

#10 of 14 Old 01-01-2013, 04:12 PM

I was vaccinated against pertussis and got it anyway.  So I'm not too worried.  I'd rather Jack get these 'diseases of childhood' than the vaccinations.  I truly believe we are evolved to take on some of those illnesses in order to develop our immune systems.  Actually the only disease I'm concerned about is polio... but even then, it's just because my dad grew up in the UK when people still got polio. Of course, I know that my well-nourished son who nursed (ok is still nursing) at almost 3.5 has as good an opportunity for recovery as anyone.

#11 of 14 Old 01-02-2013, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

My oldest was vaccinated for chicken pox and got it anyway.  The others were obviously exposed, but to my disappointment, they didn't get it. They've also been exposed when dh had shingles, and they still didn't get it.  I have not had titers done, so I don't know if they didn't get it because their immune systems were that good, or what.

I'm not afraid of their getting VPDs as children. I am concerned about their getting them as adults, as I understand that it can be much more complicated for adults.

I had originally intended for my youngest to get the MMR (or, preferably, single shots, but they are no longer available) as a young adult, but I have since learned that autoimmune disorders such as arthritis, and arthralgia can be a side effect of the MMR (according to Merck), and that women's chances of these side effects is ridiculously high--up to 25-35% 

Given our family history of 1) having very mild cases of VPDs when we do get them (or,more often than not, we don't come down with them at all, not even when we're surrounded by people who have them) and 2) having severe reactions to vaccines, the lesser of two evils is obviously not vaccinating.

#12 of 14 Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM

I  don't really worry about it.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#13 of 14 Old 01-04-2013, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

The only one that really concerns me is pertussis with a baby, but the vax concerns me more, so I just stayed close to home after she was born.

I did send one of my children's friends home that looked like he might have cp because I was pregnant and none of my children or my husband have had it. 

#14 of 14 Old 01-04-2013, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)

I do not worry about my older two at all.  Most diseases are not overly prevalent, and among the ones that are,  I am pretty sure they would come through just fine.

I do worry about diseases that have a respiratory element with my youngest, as she does seem prone to chest infections.

Specifically, I worry about the flu and pertussis.

The efficacy of the flu vaccine does not impress me, however.  The prevalence is not as high as most of us think, either.  Only about 4% of the population gets the flu that is covered by the vaccine each year.  

I worry a little bit about pertussis.  It looks like there has been an average of 860 cases per year over the last 20 years or so in Ontario.  If I round that up to 1000…we have 1000/ 12 000 000…which means 1/12 000.  I know pertussis can spike (there was a nasty outbreak in NB)  but the 1/12 000 is reassuring.  I do not know about Canada, but in Australia a huge amount of the cases of pertussis are not the strains in the vaccine.  (I can get a link if people like).  It is not a very re-assuring vaccine.  

I am doing other things this year to help strengthen her lungs, and am feeling positive.  I also saw a graph that outlines lung issues in people with her issues, and it tends to decrease significantly as they age, so that is a good thing.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page