1/2 of parents of autistic children stop or adjust vaccination plans for further children - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)

I thought this might of interest to those who have an interest in vaccines and autism.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22716265

"The authors surveyed 197 (43%) of 460 eligible parents of children under 18 years of age with autism spectrum disorders who were enrolled in a state-funded agency that provides services to those with developmental disabilities in western Los Angeles County. Half of the parents discontinued or changed vaccination practices, and this was associated with a belief that vaccines contributed to autism spectrum disorders, indicating a potential subset of undervaccinated children."

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, that is interesting. I haven't read the linked article yet, but I will. Thanks for posting.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#3 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes - quite eye opening

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 AM

My neighbor's older son is autistic. Their doctors/peds advised them to not vaccinate their younger child at all which they didn't. He's "normal", but has plenty allergies which run in the family to begin with. Their older child didn't turn around until after they stopped vaccines, gluten, wheat, dairy - he then started to talk at 6 years and pottytrained too. Quite a crazy change to witness.

#5 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

It is eye opening.  I know it does not "prove" anything but half of all parents in this study changing or quitting vaccines because of autism speaks volumes to me.  I suspect they either think vaccines contributed to the autism or  the research they have done since their childs diagnosis caused them to question if vaccines are the wisest move.

Nia, that is interesting that the doctor advised them not to vaccinate.  Lucky family to find such a compassionate and vaccine-cautious doc!  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#6 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

I found another one (just to add to the body of knowledge, and to see if other studies found similar results to the first study I posted)

https://imfar.confex.com/imfar/2010/webprogram/Paper6032.html

This study has 1974 families.

"Roughly half of families believed that there “may be” (29.9%) or “definitely is” (15.3%) a link between a child’s ASD and immunizations   {snip}  …..Overall proportion of families omitting or delaying vaccination of initial childhood series was higher among siblings born after older siblings first showed developmental signs (24.5%), especially in the case of measles-mump-rubella vaccine (19.6%). Degree of belief, higher maternal education, and younger cohort were significantly correlated with delaying and/or omitting vaccines in younger siblings "

#7 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 AM

It's a DAN pediatrician.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page