Discussion ideas for this forum - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)

I am going to try to do my part to keep the I'm Not Vaccinating forum thriving by posting a new thread every couple of days.  I am trying to generate a go-to list of discussion topics, I or anyone else can use.  Help me brainstorm?  If there is anything you want to discuss, post it here.  I do not promise to start it the way you would, but then you can come on and tell me what you would like to discuss - and voila!  Conversation smile.gif

So….topic ideas:

- how or if religion or spirituality plays into your non-vax decisions

-herd immunity:  does it have any validity?

-selling vaccines to under-devloped countries - I have a link for this one

-MMR and DtaP - would you be happier if they were available separately? does it affect you personally?

-should gender of the baby play a role in vaccination (perhaps in conjunction with family history)

-shingles: do we have the right to complain about it?

Post your thread topic ideas.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 11 Old 01-04-2013, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

I had wondered about vaccines if the family has frequent contact with immune compromised people.  

Thanks for doing this, Kathy!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 11 Old 01-04-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

I had wondered about vaccines if the family has frequent contact with immune compromised people.  

Thanks for doing this, Kathy!  

You are welcome.  

That is a good one

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 11 Old 01-04-2013, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great way to brainstorm smile.gif I've wondered about regional distribution of vax skepticism. Are there really clusters of like minded people, or are there just places where people feel safer speaking out and places where it's more difficult to overcome convention...?

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#5 of 11 Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

Great way to brainstorm smile.gif I've wondered about regional distribution of vax skepticism. Are there really clusters of like minded people, or are there just places where people feel safer speaking out and places where it's more difficult to overcome convention...?

and adding to this….does this really correlate to higher outbreaks of VAD's?

I just read that New Brunswick had a large outbreak of pertussis (large by Canadian scales) but I would bet money that New Brunswick does not have pockets of vax refusers, and least not in the same way parts of Washington state does.   How much is higher VAD rates related to better detection?

#6 of 11 Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi! I know that it skirts around Health and healing but I would love for more discussion on the many ways Non Vax mama's deal withany illness their child has. Even what they do if they caught VPD. I honestly feel safer here asking this question.

I would love to know the entire arsenal in everyone's pocket.orngtongue.gif

Another sub set of that is does the kind of access to medical care, or your own knowledge of how to treat disease/or how not to treat it wink1.gif play a role in Vax decisions?

I would love to discuss the answers many have on the questions we ask others to think of for ALL the VPD out there... it might help  change some of my answers to!

1. Name of the disease
2. Description of the disease
3. Length of time from initial infection to end of all symptoms
4. Infectious period
5. Normal symptoms of the disease
6. Known serious consequences of the disease
7. Proportion of persons infected developing serious consequences
8. Transmission route of the disease
9. Prevalence of the disease
10. Treatments of the disease and efficacy of those treatments
11. Relevant research about the disease
12. Name of the vaccine
13. Company that makes the vaccine
14. Contents of the vaccine
14A. The significance of whether or not the vaccine is live
15. History of development of the vaccine
16. Known side-effects of the vaccine and rate of incidence of those side-effects
17. Possible side-effects not yet acknowledged by the vaccine maker
18. Relevant research into the vaccine
19. How effective is the vaccine at preventing the disease?
20.What is the vaccine meant to do? (Many vaccines are not meant to prevent infection or transmission).
21.Number of cases reported each year.
22.Number of deaths reported each year from the vaccine and natural disease.

Thank you for doing this!!!biggrinbounce.gif

S-12

D-7

D-1

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#7 of 11 Old 01-05-2013, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How would these vaccines affect a nonvaxing family in general?  It doesn't matter to my nonvaxing family if they are available separately or not, because we don't vax.    

Quote:
-MMR and DtaP - would you be happier if they were available separately? does it affect you personally?
#8 of 11 Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

How would these vaccines affect a nonvaxing family in general?  It doesn't matter to my nonvaxing family if they are available separately or not, because we don't vax.    

1.  There are a few sel/del who consider themselves more non-vax than mindful vax (the only current choices here ) who would like to use something (often tetanus) but cannot/will not because it is linked to other vaccines. I know this is the non-vax forum, but personally I hope we do not exclude those who are thinking about even one vaccine.  

2.  A lot of non-vaxxers like parental choice - even if it is not a choice they would use themselves.  I am ticked off for  people who cannot get the health care they choose because of lumping together of vaccines.  

#9 of 11 Old 01-05-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Homeopathic "vaccines."  I do not know what these are and if they work, but it might make an interesting thread.

#10 of 11 Old 01-05-2013, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

1.  There are a few sel/del who consider themselves more non-vax than mindful vax (the only current choices here ) who would like to use something (often tetanus) but cannot/will not because it is linked to other vaccines. I know this is the non-vax forum, but personally I hope we do not exclude those who are thinking about even one vaccine.  

Yes, I think your perspective is right on. A lot of our members can choose to post in either forum because a lot of our identified non-vax families do choose to vaccinate sparingly and a lot of our mindful vax families choose to not vax for certain vaccines. Where a member chooses to discuss these issues is for them to decide, however if they choose the support forums they must be supportive of the mission of the forum they choose to participate in. 

So, Kathy can post here to get the perspective of her non-vax, like-minded peers in regards to the merits of the tetanus vaccine, for instance. If Emmy wanted support-only for her choice to not vaccinate, she would also post here and should expect to get support for that choice. 

I'm posting this not so much as a moderator but as a long-time member who posts on a few other sub-forums that host supportive conversations. IME, the point isn't to create an echo-chamber (impossible because we are all thoughtful, independent thinkers!) but to create an environment for us to discuss complicated issues with our like-minded peers. A variety of opinions and choices made under the umbrella of a shared perspective is a good thing!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#11 of 11 Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great thread!

I can't think of any topics right now, but I love using this forum to have real discussions that respect everyone's choices.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page