Very Tired of All the Flu Hype - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 79 Old 01-10-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It seems as tho all a person sees/hears everywhere,  is about the flu, and how everyone should run out and get a shot.  Even in commercials on the radio...the hype is worse this year, than i've ever seen before in the last 15yrs, outside of the swine flu debacle..  i'm sick of seeing and hearing about it.  

#2 of 79 Old 01-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)

I wonder if it is regional?  I have heard very little about flu shots this year….(oh, wait I did hear an ad about flu shots in Novemeber on the radio…it was annoying as it way oversold it on efficacy).  I wonder if ads are held to any sort of truth in advertising standard?  This one did not seem to be, but I digress. 

That being said, I wonder if the media in your area is pushing back because the flu vaccine has gotten some negative press in the last year?

ETA:  I googled truth in advertising plus vaccines and came up with this grim <pun!> piece.

http://www.naturalnews.com/033917_CVS_flu_shots.html

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 79 Old 01-10-2013, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
I wonder if it is regional?  

you clearly must not be in the northeast ROTFLMAO.gif

my local area had it's first death yesterday- it's almost hourly on our NPR! - all local papers, TV, blogs, etc

any everyone is talking about flu

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#4 of 79 Old 01-10-2013, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yup, I just came from the store and the newspaper had a big red box with a FLU HITS MASS HARD and going on about the 18 reported deaths (all elderly). The local news is also reporting that 700 reported cases when there were only 70 last year - thew first thing I thought was, wow such round numbers. It was unclear if these are self-reported "flu" or clinical tests. A close friend of mine who is a NURSE and runner complained last week that she had the flu since she could only run a couple of miles. I had to explain to her that if she could get out of bed and go downstairs, it isn't 'flu and she believes that it is, and that the vaccine she gets every year just set her up for a "milder case". I don't have an emoticon for the face I am making right now.

I just made soup with bone broth and turmeric, that's my flu shot. I don't know what to do amidst the hysteria. I just hunker down and hope no one gets in my grill about my family having no vaccines. I just never even know where to begin. I want to comfort the fears of those around me, but again, I am just not sure where to begin.

A_Random_Phrase likes this.

Michelle: obsessed crafter, Buddhist Yogini, college student, and unschooling mom of two awesome daughters 12 and 6
#5 of 79 Old 01-10-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcmama View Post

Yup, I just came from the store and the newspaper had a big red box with a FLU HITS MASS HARD and going on about the 18 reported deaths (all elderly). The local news is also reporting that 700 reported cases when there were only 70 last year - thew first thing I thought was, wow such round numbers. It was unclear if these are self-reported "flu" or clinical tests. A close friend of mine who is a NURSE and runner complained last week that she had the flu since she could only run a couple of miles. I had to explain to her that if she could get out of bed and go downstairs, it isn't 'flu and she believes that it is, and that the vaccine she gets every year just set her up for a "milder case". I don't have an emoticon for the face I am making right now.

I just made soup with bone broth and turmeric, that's my flu shot. I don't know what to do amidst the hysteria. I just hunker down and hope no one gets in my grill about my family having no vaccines. I just never even know where to begin. I want to comfort the fears of those around me, but again, I am just not sure where to begin.

see, that's totally different than what i heard...i heard 18 children died, not elderly....isn't it nice how the media can screw things up and  report it as fact? 

#6 of 79 Old 01-10-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

you clearly must not be in the northeast ROTFLMAO.gif

Canada - about 1/2 an hour away fron NY state

sassyfirechick likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#7 of 79 Old 01-10-2013, 03:40 PM

I misquoted, Boston proper reports four deaths, all elderly; I was not able to find breakdown of the "18 deaths" and whether those 4 are included or the ages of all the people, nor what sort of agency was responsible for determining and reporting the cause of death. The same headline, with various stories is showing up all over the country - google news "boston declares public emergency". I remember about 8 or so years ago a Boston measles epidemic, there were varying reports of how many were infected, etc. Either way, as soon as that "XX deaths" shows up, it becomes very hard to reason with anyone.

Michelle: obsessed crafter, Buddhist Yogini, college student, and unschooling mom of two awesome daughters 12 and 6
#8 of 79 Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 PM

I'm sick of hearing about it too. 

caffix.gif

#9 of 79 Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Canada - about 1/2 away fron NY state

you didn't miss the NY governor today did you? he took on in the arm for the state

we listen to NPR on and off from 4 to 6 PM tonight - EVERY break my local NPR did something on the flu death we had (an infant- PA) and I heard it at least 4 time from regular NPR in that time frame

not ONCE did I hear anything but "get the shot", no conversation that even mentioned washing hands, NEVER do you hear about vit C-----only the shot!

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#10 of 79 Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM

Here is an article that seems to clear up some of the numbers. http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/breaking-news/index.ssf/2013/01/infant_influenza_death_reporte.html

slinggirl.gif mama to baby girl E born at home on 1/8/12 with stork-suprise.gif#2 on his or her way around 8/28/13

intactivist.gif toddler.gif homebirth.jpg familybed1.gifcd.gif placenta.gif-eater

#11 of 79 Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 PM

Alberta is having an outbreak of Norovirus and Influenza. I thought my daughter had norovirus because of all the puking, but now that I am sick too I am pretty sure its influenza. Its not uncommon for children to vomit when they have it. Plus norovirus tends to clear up after 1 or 2 days, and she is on day 3 of fever and bodyaches. She is also very weak, and tired.

Been doing fluids, and letting her have the fever as much as possible. I am going to start some sambucol for her tomorrow if she can keep it down. I feel like ass. Seriously my skin and hair hurts.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#12 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 02:41 AM

CNN had Anderson Cooper on last night with BREAKING NEWS about the flu becoming EPIDEMIC!! This was followed by the newest school shooting in California. Really? Are these two things even close in importance?
#13 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Gotta wonder what is making this year worse than previous ones....is the vaccine making the outbreak worse?  Are people getting vaxed, coming down with a mild form, and then passing it on to everyone they come in contact with, spreading it around?   Not to mention, a person is susceptible to flu/illness for two weeks after getting the flu vax...getting the vax seems to be the main focus in all the reports on tv/radio.   

#14 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

Gotta wonder what is making this year worse than previous ones....is the vaccine making the outbreak worse?  Are people getting vaxed, coming down with a mild form, and then passing it on to everyone they come in contact with, spreading it around?   Not to mention, a person is susceptible to flu/illness for two weeks after getting the flu vax...getting the vax seems to be the main focus in all the reports on tv/radio.   

I am not sure it is worse than in previous years.  Every year (it seems) they say "this flu season is very bad!"  It is a little bit like the boy who cried wolf.  This is one area where I think observations are the way to go; do people in your area seem to becoming down with the flu (the real flu) in numbers greater than you have seen in previous years?  Personally, I have not seen an upswing this year - but he flu runs through this area in late February - I still have a bit to go!

#15 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 07:00 AM

I have seen one person on my FB friend list (who is not local to me at all) complaining of symptoms that sound like influenza (extreme body aches, unable to leave bed etc). I have seen/talked to several people with cold symptoms, still up and about who are calling what they have "the flu". What I am wondering is, who is verifying cases of actual influenza and how?

#16 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 08:29 AM

Sounds bad. I don't know how much a shot will help, and we wont be vaccinating, but I sure hope we can avoid getting it. This article says the 18 deaths were children:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/09/health/us-flu-season/index.html

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#17 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
 What I am wondering is, who is verifying cases of actual influenza and how?

in my area - be it dr, urgent care, or ER they are swabbing inside the nose and they are verifying

I know several that have had to go to the dr without influenza symptoms and they ask you prior to coming in what you have, the are keeping those patients segregated at some places and doing a good job at it.

They are reporting the number of cases to the state and that goes to the federal.

&

#18 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM

smile.gif

#19 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blt178 View Post

CNN had Anderson Cooper on last night with BREAKING NEWS about the flu becoming EPIDEMIC!! This was followed by the newest school shooting in California. Really? Are these two things even close in importance?

Yes and the other night he was talking with a Doc and reported "it kills over 50,000 people every year" - I was like really? The actual flue itself?  Not likely, more like they were already sick or had underlying issues that were componed by the flu, but didn't die specifically of the flu virus.  Hate when they throw out large numbers like that without the true breakdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I am not sure it is worse than in previous years.  Every year (it seems) they say "this flu season is very bad!"  It is a little bit like the boy who cried wolf.  This is one area where I think observations are the way to go; do people in your area seem to becoming down with the flu (the real flu) in numbers greater than you have seen in previous years?  Personally, I have not seen an upswing this year - but he flu runs through this area in late February - I still have a bit to go!

Exactly.  And I think the more the media hypes it up, the more the hypochondriacs out there let the idea get into their head that it IS worse and bc they think it's worse, they 'feel worse'.  I've had a few friends get swabbed to confirm it, but then they are on FB posting something every 5mins about how they are so sick, they feel like death, blah blah - well if you seriously feel that bad get off your computer or phone and take a nap!

I can honestly say that in 30 years, I've probably had the flu a total of 2 or 3 times, and I've never had the vax.  Also never been tested to confirm, but going on duration and severity (so illness lasting over a week), and none of that has been within the last 7-10years - so for something that keeps getting 'worse and worse' I would think I'd be be catching it more frequently especially since I don't vax! (sarcasm)

#20 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

There is definitely a double standard going on.

If you have complications from a flu shot, well, very sad, but you must have had an underlying disorder, and you were probably going to have those complications whether you had the shot or not, and it was probably a coincidence anyway.

If you have complications from the flu, then OMG THE FLU IS A KILLER AND EVERYONE MUST GET A SHOTscared.gifyikes2.gif

When severe reactions from flu shots are reported, they are assumed to be a coincidence.

When flu-like symptoms are reported, they are assumed to be influenza.  When reported cases of influenza in a given year are said to be mild and infrequent, it is said that "the flu shot saved us," with no mention of the massive campaign for hand-washing, staying home when ill, antibacterial cart wipes in the grocery store, and children sent home from school with the slightest sniffle.

And it's never ever ever ever EVER reported that the recent independent studies conclude that the flu shot is as effective as...a placebo. But over and over and over we read that "it's the best weapon we've got."  (yeah, right.)  And the media seems to not to be permitted to even mention severe reactions to a flu shot.

#21 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

yes, it does seem worse this year here....our state health dept put out stats saying last year there were only 500 confirmed cases, and this year already its over 1700...theres been a lot of illness this year in school too,and it seemed to have started earlier this year as well.

#22 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

The number of confirmed flu cases county-by-county

#23 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 03:37 PM

This is exactly what I went through 6 years ago; my mother went for a flu shot at the clinic she had been going to for 30 years on Dec. 5, 2006. She had a reaction right there before even leaving the clinic so my father took her directly to the hospital where, long story short, she never returned. She was dead 2.5 weeks later. First she lost the ability to walk then got sicker and sicker, was placed in shared rooms with people who had infectuous diseases like Norwalk-type viruses then her organs shut down. However, NO ONE has been willing to consider that any of this could have been a reaction to the vaccine, but rather that she had metastatic cancer, so, you know, she was going to die within a year or two anyway. I urged my father to get the vaccine lot number and file a report and when he called the clinic they claimed she had never gotten a flu shot there (telling him, we would never give a flu shot to someone who was ill, which only strengthens my case imho), even though he saw them insert the needle into her arm. It took 3 weeks fighting with various people before they "found" the record of her shot, though the release for his flu shot was provided right away. He thought he was going crazy and for about a month started to think maybe there was something to my "conspiracy theories" about vaccines (I don't have conspiracy theories of course, just a passion for evidence based practice that is divorced from profits) but he went back to loving his flu shots the following year. I check on him like crazy for the week after he gets his shot : / neither he nor my mother ever connected the vaccine, and subsequent drive to the ER from the clinic with her rapid decline. It was pure coincidence, I continue to be told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

There is definitely a double standard going on.

If you have complications from a flu shot, well, very sad, but you must have had an underlying disorder, and you were probably going to have those complications whether you had the shot or not, and it was probably a coincidence anyway.

If you have complications from the flu, then OMG THE FLU IS A KILLER AND EVERYONE MUST GET A SHOTscared.gifyikes2.gif

When severe reactions from flu shots are reported, they are assumed to be a coincidence.

#24 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 03:38 PM

ugh, sorry double post

#25 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been reading about the flu and hearing about it what seems like every 5 seconds, and I live in the southeast. Who really knows how bad it is unless everyone who *thinks* they have the flu get tested and confirmed.

Quote:

not ONCE did I hear anything but "get the shot", no conversation that even mentioned washing hands, NEVER do you hear about vit C-----only the shot!

Haha! I read an article online somewhere today that gave a list of things to do to avoid getting the flu, and washing your hands, eating well, taking extra vitamin C, D, etc were not on the top of the list. #1 was to get a shot. banghead.gif 

If I can find it, I'll post the link.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#26 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been reading about the flu and hearing about it what seems like every 5 seconds, and I live in the southeast. Who really knows how bad it is unless everyone who *thinks* they have the flu get tested and confirmed.

Quote:

Haha! I read an article online somewhere today that gave a list of things to do to avoid getting the flu, and washing your hands, eating well, taking extra vitamin C, D, etc were not on the top of the list. #1 was to get a shot. banghead.gif 

If I can find it, I'll post the link.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#27 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 04:08 PM

Wasn't there some debacle over the hype of the Swine Flu in 2009 and the CDC falsifying information to increase the vaccination rate? Could it be happening again?

#28 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 04:09 PM

Wasn't there some debacle over the hype of the Swine Flu in 2009 and the CDC falsifying information to increase the vaccination rate?

#29 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Yes I'm "sick" of hearing about it.uhoh3.gif

#30 of 79 Old 01-11-2013, 05:44 PM

I'm so tired about all the flu season hype and ads in newspapers and TV about getting the flu shot. Every year I hear the same thing."This year's flu is going to be a bad one". Oh please. Anything to sell their snake oil, and the media, who are bought and paid for, are quite happy to help out big Pharma by spreading the news! Makes me sick...not literally though...because I haven't had the flu in years. And guess what? I have never had a flu shot.

A_Random_Phrase and BeckyBird like this.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page