So confused about CP...still. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 01-16-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my two daughters, 5 & 8 are completely unvaxxed. They have not had chicken pox .... I thought they would get it from my BIL who had shingles, but alas, they did not. I will NOT vax them for CP, against my dr's advice that my eldest gets the vax if she doesn't get CP by age 9.
What I don't understand is what's the deal with CP? What makes it dangerous about having it as a teen? Is it dangerous? I read so much conflicting info about it. Sigh. If you never have CP than you never risk shingles, which is a good thing, isn't it?
Any info to clear up this very confusing subject for me is greatly appreciated!
#2 of 26 Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

How ironic...right now I'm watching a design show called Candace Tells All....and the homeowner's kid has just been exposed to CP, and one of the carpenter's on the show has never had it...the designer, Candace says "Roger, you need to go, because it's super bad when you're an adult".
So, this is exactly what I'm wondering, is this 'myth' or is there some truth to CP being much more dangerous when it happens to someone older?
#3 of 26 Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It is dangerous for someone older, the body cannot process the virus like a child's body can, and it is much worse for an adult. 

Here's an article about the cp vax being associated with the shingles epidemic.   And, if your kids didn't touch the shingles rash, and come into contact with the pustule fluid, then their chances of getting CP is much less.  This group might help you find cp in your area too

#4 of 26 Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 AM

Ya, you need the fluid in the Shingle sore. Both DH and I had shingles at different times, but his were much more pussy than mine, and the kids got CP from him. I was SO happy to get it over with.

Hopefully you can get some exposure soon!

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#5 of 26 Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Can it be worse in an adult or older teen, yes. Is it a death sentence? - no of course not.

I had CP when I was 19 years old. I had a very bad case, my whole body was covered! I spent a week in an oatmeal bath and was very itchy and uncomfortable. I had no complications, I survived. You would think with all the hype that it's a sure thing that older teens and adults will end up in the hospital or die. Personally I think complications from the CP at any age have far more to do with HOW the virus is handled (ie is the person taking tylenol and advil to bring the fever down? are they downing antivirals? or are they using homeopathy and natural medicine to support their body instead? 

To say 9 years old is the cut off for getting the vaccine is absurd to me. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 26 Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I would think the biggest benefit to getting it at a younger age is that when you're older, you think about the itching and the 'pain' more and are wanting to get rid of it, whereas kids don't care, if that makes sense.  I know I had a pretty good batch of pox when I got them at 8 or so, and it took years for some of the 'scars' to fade, but I don't recall being miserable at all and my mother says she was more bothered by them than I was.  I think if you say no to the shot you do so knowing that somme day they could get them as adults - but you don't know how thier body will react as kids or adults so severity may not be related to age so much as overall health at the time you contract them.  I'd be pretty happy if DD (14mos) caould catch CP and get it over with and I know I'd certainly appreciate the immune boost!

#7 of 26 Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
To say 9 years old is the cut off for getting the vaccine is absurd to me. 

to consider it wasn't even a fear for dr.'s prior to the vac to not have it by 9!!! ROTFLMAO.gif

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#8 of 26 Old 01-18-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

I would think the biggest benefit to getting it at a younger age is that when you're older, you think about the itching and the 'pain' more and are wanting to get rid of it, whereas kids don't care, if that makes sense.  I know I had a pretty good batch of pox when I got them at 8 or so, and it took years for some of the 'scars' to fade, but I don't recall being miserable at all and my mother says she was more bothered by them than I was.  I think if you say no to the shot you do so knowing that somme day they could get them as adults - but you don't know how thier body will react as kids or adults so severity may not be related to age so much as overall health at the time you contract them.  I'd be pretty happy if DD (14mos) caould catch CP and get it over with and I know I'd certainly appreciate the immune boost!

I agree with this.

I got it when I was 11, and yes, the scarring to ages to fade.  I actually got some keloid scarring on my shoulder, back and tummy that never went away.  I remember a gyno asking me about the scars on my tummy near my navel because they're so symmetrical she thought it was an intentional body modification. :P

I don't recall being too bothered by itching.  Neighbor kids would come over and I answered the door to tell them I couldn't play because I had chicken pox.

#9 of 26 Old 01-18-2013, 10:29 AM

I'm currently trying to decide if I should get it myself, as it can be much more serious in adults and for pregnant women (and I don't take getting vaccines lightly, my dd is currently unvaccinated). I read that prior to the vaccine, adults only made up about 5% of cp cases, but accounted for 35% of the deaths. I don't know what age it gets worse, I would just ask your doctor for what info they have and why he chose that age.

#10 of 26 Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 AM

According to Mercola- "Up to 20 percent of adults who get chickenpox develop severe complications such as pneumonia, secondary bacterial infections, and brain inflammation (which is reported in less than one percent of children who get chickenpox)." He goes on to say that most have compromised immune systems, but I still find that number high.

#11 of 26 Old 01-18-2013, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)

I read 20% of adults get complication as well on the CDC - most pneumonia.  It is higher than I like, and I know a woman whose baby had a birth defect due to CP.

I also read somewhere that 70-80% of adults who claim not to have had CP were actually found to have had CP when their titres were tested.

I am aware that the rate of wild CP is dropping.  

Shingles is increasing, however, and you cannot get shingles if you never had CP or the CP vaccine (you can get shingles after the CP vaccine,  although the chances might be lower than if you had wild CP).  

I feel like we are in a waiting game with the CP vaccine - waiting to see what happens to prevalence, waiting to see what happens with shingles….

Youngest DD is 10.  She has never had CP.  I am going to leave the decision to her as to what to do, when she hits her late teens.   When the time comes,  I might see if I can sort out the prevalence of CP, and figure out if getting it will be likely.  If she wants to go for the vaccine, I would also suggest she get her titres tested - many people seem to get CP without noticing it.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#12 of 26 Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 PM

To OP,

All I can share is my experience.

My oldest child and I never had chickenpox. When chickenpox went around the school my children were in, I'm thinking my son was 8 or 9 and my younger daughter was 10 or 11.

My son was miserable enough that he wanted to sleep with me. He wore one of my T-shirts the whole time he was miserable. A week or two later, when my daughter got it, she decided it was tradition to wear that shirt and sleep with Mom while sick.

The only scar my son has is one on his neck that he scratched before we realized he had chicken pox and not a mosquito bite. My daughter has none that I know of.

And, to this day, neither my oldest daughter (now 21 yrs old) nor myself got it. (I have been exposed several times in my life; this was just the most concentrated exposure I've had.)

My point is this: There's a possibility that your children will never contract the disease. Or that it won't be that bad, if they do. I've never heard of anyone dying from chicken pox. Not even being maimed (seriously or otherwise).

#13 of 26 Old 01-18-2013, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Random_Phrase View Post

To OP,

All I can share is my experience.

My oldest child and I never had chickenpox. When chickenpox went around the school my children were in, I'm thinking my son was 8 or 9 and my younger daughter was 10 or 11.

My son was miserable enough that he wanted to sleep with me. He wore one of my T-shirts the whole time he was miserable. A week or two later, when my daughter got it, she decided it was tradition to wear that shirt and sleep with Mom while sick.

The only scar my son has is one on his neck that he scratched before we realized he had chicken pox and not a mosquito bite. My daughter has none that I know of.

And, to this day, neither my oldest daughter (now 21 yrs old) nor myself got it. (I have been exposed several times in my life; this was just the most concentrated exposure I've had.)

My point is this: There's a possibility that your children will never contract the disease. Or that it won't be that bad, if they do. I've never heard of anyone dying from chicken pox. Not even being maimed (seriously or otherwise).

While rare, people do die from the chicken pox. Not implying that it is a reason to vaccinate but I do believe that one should know all the risks when making important medical decisions.
#14 of 26 Old 04-05-2013, 03:43 AM

Most people who die from chicken pox is because of secondary infection that sets in, or they were immunocompromised to begin with....how many adults do you hear of on a daily, or monthly basis, dying off from chicken pox?  Back in '95 when the vaccine came out, it was touted as 'saving parents missed time from work due to sick kids', and that 100kids a year died from chicken pox...what they didn't tell the public is, that 100kids that would die every year, were already in the hospital with life threatening illnesses.  

#15 of 26 Old 04-05-2013, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminurse View Post

Agree with TCMoulton. I'm a nurse, people still die from CP, the flu, tetanus, Diptheria, pertussis, measles, mumps, rubella, rotavirus, hepatitis etc. and while it may not by your child, it could be someone else's. or your husband, or your mother, or your sibling, or your grandmother.....

and where in the USA are all these deaths happening from all those diseases you mentioned?  I havent heard of any in my area, nor my state, either.  And i keep up on these kinds of stats, at least for my state. 

#16 of 26 Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminurse View Post

Agree with TCMoulton. I'm a nurse, people still die from CP, the flu, tetanus, Diptheria, pertussis, measles, mumps, rubella, rotavirus, hepatitis etc. and while it may not by your child, it could be someone else's. or your husband, or your mother, or your sibling, or your grandmother.....

GO AWAYYYYYYYY. Please read forum guidelines before posting. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#17 of 26 Old 04-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

eminurse, your posting privileges are suspended. Please contact me to discuss further if you wish to post.

#18 of 26 Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

TCMoulton, a reminder of the rules:

I'm Not Vaccinating - This is a support-only forum for those not or those seriously considering not vaccinating. Here we host discussion of issues that arise when choosing to not vaccinate and sharing of resources and information that are related to the no-vax decision. Members who are vaccinating should not post here to debate or argue accuracy or opinion of things posted. 

Please respect this. If you wish to debate something said here you need to take it to the Debate forum. 

A_Random_Phrase likes this.

#19 of 26 Old 04-12-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

While rare, people do die from the chicken pox. Not implying that it is a reason to vaccinate but I do believe that one should know all the risks when making important medical decisions.

Strange. I have never heard of even one case of death by chicken pox. But, then, when I read books from the 1800's, there are people who die from colds (their word, not mine).

#20 of 26 Old 04-12-2013, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Random_Phrase View Post

Strange. I have never heard of even one case of death by chicken pox. But, then, when I read books from the 1800's, there are people who die from colds (their word, not mine).

the only cases of death in chicken pox in kids i have heard of is in mainstream media news, and the child also had an underlying condition, and died in a hospital. 

#21 of 26 Old 04-12-2013, 04:31 AM

So, is it still ideal to get our kids exposed to CP if given the chance? Or is that not really recommended now that shingles is so prevalent and can only flare up if one has had chicken pox.

I see the "looking for CP in my area" posts and always checked to see if I was close, but now I'm not sure that I want to purposefully expose my DCs.
#22 of 26 Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thispathisme View Post

So, is it still ideal to get our kids exposed to CP if given the chance? Or is that not really recommended now that shingles is so prevalent and can only flare up if one has had chicken pox.

I see the "looking for CP in my area" posts and always checked to see if I was close, but now I'm not sure that I want to purposefully expose my DCs.

It really is a tricky thing to consider. Do you try and get the natural infection for your children when they are young so as to avoid the possibility of getting it as an adult when it has to the potential to be more serious? and then one has think about the fact that then shingles is always a possibility. Here is how I think of it. I may try to have my DC get CP when they are a bit older. I have an infant now and wouldn't want her to get it until she is old enough to articulate how she feels to me. My DS is 5 now and I think any age over 5 is ok with me. This way they have had the natural infection. Yes shingles is always a possibility, but shingles is triggered usually by stress and a poorly functioning immune system. If my DC do not get CP as children, they I would have to worry about them getting it when they are adults AND the possibility of getting shingles later in life. I suppose they could always opt for the vaccine as an adult - but that just doesn't seem to be a good option to me. 

#23 of 26 Old 04-12-2013, 06:22 AM

That's the tricky part for me too. What you said about your DCs being able to communicate how they were feeling cleared this up for me for now.

My DCs are a baby and a toddler so I think waiting a few years until they are both able to communicate with me is ideal. At least I can shelve this decision for a few years and hopefully answers might be more clear then as well.
#24 of 26 Old 04-12-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thispathisme View Post

That's the tricky part for me too. What you said about your DCs being able to communicate how they were feeling cleared this up for me for now.

My DCs are a baby and a toddler so I think waiting a few years until they are both able to communicate with me is ideal. At least I can shelve this decision for a few years and hopefully answers might be more clear then as well.

I agree that is ideal however if my kids were exposed now and both came down with it (including the baby) I wouldn't freak out. Id just be more comfortable SEEKING it out when they are a bit older. 

#25 of 26 Old 04-12-2013, 03:15 PM

This is what I meant, I won't purposefully expose them ( if that's the road I decide to take) until they can both communicate well with me.
#26 of 26 Old 04-12-2013, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Cynthia, I made this post 3 months ago, prior to the clarification of who was to post where. While I wasn't trying to start a debate I understand if you feel the need to delete my post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

TCMoulton, a reminder of the rules:

I'm Not Vaccinating
 - This is a support-only forum for those not or those seriously considering not vaccinating. Here we host discussion of issues that arise when choosing to not vaccinate and sharing of resources and information that are related to the no-vax decision. Members who are vaccinating should not post here to debate or argue accuracy or opinion of things posted. 

Please respect this. If you wish to debate something said here you need to take it to the Debate forum. 

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page