non-vaxxed child gets VPD - parent goes to media about "regretting decision not to vax" - does this bother you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)

I feel a little callous for admitting this  bag.gif, but is anyone else annoyed by stories of  children who came down with a VAD - which caused their parents to have a complete turn-around on their beliefs - and induced them to go to the media and tell everyone they need to vax and they were duped by non-vaxxers? 

The vast majority of sel/delayed and non-vaxxers I know IRL and online devote a great amount of time to researching both vaccine and diseases.  

I don't think my child coming down with diptheria or tetanus or whatever would cause me to think I had been duped by non-vaxxers.  For goodness sake - I know the stats on the prevalence of those diseases, if my child come down with a VAD, I will know it is just bad luck. 

rachelsmama likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Yes, and I see it in homebirthers too. Life is not inherintly safe. There are risks and benefits to every decision we make for ourselves and our children. Take personally responsibility for yourselves and do more than watch BoBB before hiring your midwife, understand the risks vs benefits and how your emergency plan would unfold.  

Same with vaxxes. Take time to consider what your child having a vpd would look like and weigh that against what you concerns you about vaxxes.

#3 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It wasn't "bad luck" that I got pertussis. Or rather it was, and yet not a rare, unbelievable thing to have happen. Having my newborn contract it was terrible luck, but considering he was exposed to someone (me) on Day 1 of life again not something that is shocking. You act as though it will be only "bad luck" and not something that can be predicted.

Forgive me if I sound upset but I am. This is offensive. I do regret my decision. Why is it not OK for me to say that, and say it loudly when people loudly proclaim they regret vaccinating all the time even for reaction that are mild and mean nothing more than an immune response is happening, or when there has been no reaction at all.

You THINK you'd not be upset and regret your decision. I wouldn't wish having a permanently lung damaged child on anyone, ever, and so I hope you never ever know what you're talking about here. And my newborn? He lived. Considering the abysmal statistics he faced when he contracted symptomatic pertussis after Day 1 exposure that is good luck. Good luck and modern medicine for the win.

Not being exposed at all or at least having less chance of contracting the disease by not being coughed around by someone with active pertussis because of having up to date on immunizations would have been better.

chickabiddy likes this.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#4 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Yes, and I see it in homebirthers too. Life is not inherintly safe. There are risks and benefits to every decision we make for ourselves and our children. Take personally responsibility for yourselves and do more than watch BoBB before hiring your midwife, understand the risks vs benefits and how your emergency plan would unfold.  Take time to consider what your child having a vpd would look like and weigh that against what you concerns you about vaxxes.

That's great advice, in theory.

When you have biased information being passed along by a whole bunch of people in one place (ie MDC in this case) on either homebirth risks or VPD risks and vaccine risks it's a little bit more difficult to wade through especially since many people start out by asking for advice saying they don't know a lot about the given subject.

Telling someone that has risk factors to just trust their intuition and stay home is dangerous. Telling someone pertussis is no big deal and even if you do contract it sodium ascorbate cures it is dangerous. Both have been said here to people who admit they don't know enough to evaluate the answers they are being given. How very nice to give advice and then when a bad outcome happen say "Well you should have known to do more research". People are asking for help saying they don't know what is good research and are being presented with answers.

Also... until your child has one of these VPDs you can't really imagine. My middle child had best case scenario for symptomatic pertussis and I wish he'd never had to go through it.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#5 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Nm - this is in the i'm not vaxxing and i'd prefer not to start a debate.

#6 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Yes, and I see it in homebirthers too. Life is not inherintly safe. There are risks and benefits to every decision we make for ourselves and our children. Take personally responsibility for yourselves and do more than watch BoBB before hiring your midwife, understand the risks vs benefits and how your emergency plan would unfold.  

Same with vaxxes. Take time to consider what your child having a vpd would look like and weigh that against what you concerns you about vaxxes.

I agree with most of this; however I believe that life IS inherently safe.

A healthy well-nourished person can be exposed to pertussis and be fine. I've had it only when I was eating SAD and not taking supplements. Ever since I started taking responsibility for my health I've gotten minor things like colds but no flu or even shingles when dd had the chicken pox. 

Quote:
I don't think my child coming down with diptheria or tetanus or whatever would cause me to think I had been duped by non-vaxxers. 

It sure wouldn't cause me to think that. However, I have to admit it was a little scary when dd was a little baby to stand by my beliefs, especially since we had frequent contact with third world immigrants with iffy health status. It gets easier each year when I see how well she's developing and thriving. 

#7 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post

I agree with most of this; however I believe that life IS inherently safe.

A healthy well-nourished person can be exposed to pertussis and be fine. I've had it only when I was eating SAD and not taking supplements. Ever since I started taking responsibility for my health I've gotten minor things like colds but no flu or even shingles when dd had the chicken pox. 

It sure wouldn't cause me to think that. However, I have to admit it was a little scary when dd was a little baby to stand by my beliefs, especially since we had frequent contact with third world immigrants with iffy health status. It gets easier each year when I see how well she's developing and thriving. 

There is a difference between doing what you can and having a bit of luck and a hard line though. A SAD eating, smoking, non exercising person can be exposed to pertussis and be fine. One doesn't actually equal the other. You are doing good things for your health and that's great but it's doesn't mean you're unable to catch those things, only that you havn't.

Also shingles isn't caused by being exposed to a child with chicken pox, though it can happen the other way around (someone with shingles causing someone unimmune to chicken pox to get chicken pox). In fact being exposed to a child with chicken pox if you are already immune to it can boost your immunity, so really it wasn't a big surprise that you didn't get shingles from that.

Alison
#8 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I feel a little callous for admitting this  bag.gif, but is anyone else annoyed by stories of  children who came down with a VAD - which caused their parents to have a complete turn-around on their beliefs - and induced them to go to the media and tell everyone they need to vax and they were duped by non-vaxxers? 

The part that would bug me is going to the media, and the media being all too happy to shout it from the rooftops. When vaccinated people get VPD, you don't hear about it, at least not the truth. You'll see the headlines about people being infected with this deadly VPD, but you won't see anything in the article about how many people who contracted the illness were in fact vaccinated. It all makes me sad.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#9 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post

There is a difference between doing what you can and having a bit of luck and a hard line though. A SAD eating, smoking, non exercising person can be exposed to pertussis and be fine. One doesn't actually equal the other. You are doing good things for your health and that's great but it's doesn't mean you're unable to catch those things, only that you havn't.

Yes SAD-eating people with bad habits may not get sick, but I think this is because they have strong constitutions and especially a healthy thyroid. I think subclinical and/or undiagnosed thyroid problems are part of the reason why some people who seem healthy get sick. 

I may yet still catch something, but even so I'm not afraid. I'll be able to deal with it. 

Quote:
Also shingles isn't caused by being exposed to a child with chicken pox, though it can happen the other way around (someone with shingles causing someone unimmune to chicken pox to get chicken pox).

I know; I should clarify: I was scared that being under stress from taking care of a sick child would activate shingles. Coincidentally I knew and heard of a lot of people getting shingles at this time, so it was always at the back of my mind.

Also, dh never had CP so we were afraid he'd get a bad case of it. He didn't. 

#10 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloebelle View Post

The part that would bug me is going to the media, and the media being all too happy to shout it from the rooftops. When vaccinated people get VPD, you don't hear about it, at least not the truth. You'll see the headlines about people being infected with this deadly VPD, but you won't see anything in the article about how many people who contracted the illness were in fact vaccinated. It all makes me sad.

Yep. Also the media is perfectly happy under-reporting when someone has a "rare" vaccine reaction.

Look at the Ryan Mojabi case. Still coming up with almost no reporting in Google News searches. So far only HuffPo of the semi-mainstream media has done a story in the U.S.

BeckyBird likes this.

#11 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post

Yes SAD-eating people with bad habits may not get sick, but I think this is because they have strong constitutions and especially a healthy thyroid. I think subclinical and/or undiagnosed thyroid problems are part of the reason why some people who seem healthy get sick. 

I may yet still catch something, but even so I'm not afraid. I'll be able to deal with it. 

I know; I should clarify: I was scared that being under stress from taking care of a sick child would activate shingles. Coincidentally I knew and heard of a lot of people getting shingles at this time, so it was always at the back of my mind.

Also, dh never had CP so we were afraid he'd get a bad case of it. He didn't. 

That line I bolded? That's over the top offensive.

Two reasons... One: You can pass it on to someone who can't deal with it. Easily in fact as many of these things are easily transmitted and contagious before they are bad enough to be diagnosed.

Two: You are making these decisions not just for yourself but for your child and your child may not be able to deal with it just by virtue of being in a higher risk category based on age (and if your child is old enough to be out of that now, they weren't always).

Also as an aside... MAYBE you'd be able to deal with it. Lots of people thought the same thing and were proven wrong. And there is a lot of really undesirable things between perfect health and death.

Do what you'd like, but to pretend like only vaccinating has risks is not only blatently false but also offensive to those who've had to live the other side.

Alison
#12 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:

Two reasons... One: You can pass it on to someone who can't deal with it. Easily in fact as many of these things are easily transmitted and contagious before they are bad enough to be diagnosed.

Two: You are making these decisions not just for yourself but for your child and your child may not be able to deal with it just by virtue of being in a higher risk category based on age (and if your child is old enough to be out of that now, they weren't always).

Also as an aside... MAYBE you'd be able to deal with it. Lots of people thought the same thing and were proven wrong. And there is a lot of really undesirable things between perfect health and death.

Do what you'd like, but to pretend like only vaccinating has risks is not only blatently false but also offensive to those who've had to live the other side.

Offensive? She's entitled to her opinion and beliefs based on her own personal experiences and research. AND we're entitled to come to the "I'm Not Vaccinating" board and discuss those beliefs. If its offensive to you, don't read it.

To suggest that someone should get vaccinated to "protect" others is just ludicrous.

I've made the decision not to vaccinate my kids based on common sense. I have every confidence that I made the right decision not to inject my kids with this toxic poison. If doing that makes sense to you, then I hope you're happy with your decision. I know I am.

Chicharronita likes this.

#13 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Forgive me if I sound upset but I am. This is offensive. I do regret my decision. 

I'm sorry to hear about all that you went through. It must've been really tough. :(

kathymuggle likes this.

#14 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I'm pretty annoyed by how quickly the media jumps on these cases, and I'm disgusted by how heavily these kids are being exploited in the interest of pushing vaccinations, and I shake my head when these parents claim they were uninformed, but the article goes on to offer no actual information, just an emotional plea for more people to just trust one authority or the other.  Mostly I feel bad for the families though.  It has got to be tough being in a hospital with a sick kid, and be worried about the kid, and be doing the whole "what if" guilty feeling thing that is such an unavoidable part of parenting, and then to have to deal with the medical establishment's condemnation of their choices too.  While most people who are in favour of vaccinations are tactful, decent humans, there are also some incredibly insensitive individuals with strong pro-vax feelings, and I suspect that parents with unvaccinated kids in the hospital have a hard time avoiding them.

BeckyBird likes this.
#15 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It wasn't "bad luck" that I got pertussis. Or rather it was, and yet not a rare, unbelievable thing to have happen. Having my newborn contract it was terrible luck, but considering he was exposed to someone (me) on Day 1 of life again not something that is shocking. You act as though it will be only "bad luck" and not something that can be predicted.

I don't think who is going to get a VAD can be predicted.  Some have higher risk factors than others, but that is about it.  My youngest was born with a birth defect, and faced surgery at 14 hours old.  She is fine, fwiw.  I did everything right as far as I know during the pregnancy - crap happens and sometimes it happens to you.

Forgive me if I sound upset but I am. This is offensive. I do regret my decision. Why is it not OK for me to say that, and say it loudly when people loudly proclaim they regret vaccinating all the time even for reaction that are mild and mean nothing more than an immune response is happening, or when there has been no reaction at all.

There is nothing to forgive.  You are entitled to your feelings (obviously) smile.gif.  I tried to put myself in a pro-vaxxers shoes,  and ask myself if I, a pro-vaxxer, would be annoyed if someone switched sides, went to the media  and claimed they were duped by the pro-vax side if their child experienced a vaccine reaction.  The answer is a qualified yes.  Most pro-vaxxers (not just people who vax) are reasonably educated on vaxxing; they know darn well there are risks to vaxxing, and if g-d forbid a serious side effect happened to them, well, they went in knowing it was a possibility.  I would not expect a highly informed  pro-vaxxer to switch sides completely because their child experienced a rare and acknowledged serious reaction.  I can see them decide to revisit vaxxing, perhaps not vax due to the fact that they personally can not stomach the risks or are worried that it might not be a good choice for their family due to history- but switch sides completely and go to the media because their child was the 1/1million who had an anaphylaxis reaction (for example)?  Nope.    

I can understand those who listened to their health care provider (without doing research on their own) feeling duped.  

You THINK you'd not be upset and regret your decision. I wouldn't wish having a permanently lung damaged child on anyone, ever, and so I hope you never ever know what you're talking about here.

Correct.  I used the word think, because it is possible I may feel differently if one of my children experienced a VAD that I was not okay with them getting.  It is possible it would cause me to revisit my decision, even vaccinate  if I just could not bear even the remote possibility of going through it again - but go to the media and sing to the rafters about how not vaccinating is a bad idea ???  Doubtful.  The fact that my kid might be the 1/ 12 000 000 to get tetanus does not change the risk profile for tetanus for the rest of the world.

For the record, I do not wish a serious vaccine reaction or VAD on anyone, and I am glad your son is Okay.

applejuice and rachelsmama like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#16 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post
 Mostly I feel bad for the families though.  It has got to be tough being in a hospital with a sick kid, and be worried about the kid, and be doing the whole "what if" guilty feeling thing that is such an unavoidable part of parenting, and then to have to deal with the medical establishment's condemnation of their choices too.  While most people who are in favour of vaccinations are tactful, decent humans, there are also some incredibly insensitive individuals with strong pro-vax feelings, and I suspect that parents with unvaccinated kids in the hospital have a hard time avoiding them.

Well said.  I do feel compassion as well.  I also suspect  parents who are fresh off (or still immersed in ) a horrible illness are not very objective about the whole thing…yet that is when the media pounces.  

I also think it is normal to regret your decision to vaccinate or not vaccinate, if your child is one of the rare children to get a serious VAD or have a very serious vaccine reaction.  Obviously, for that child, doing the opposite of what was done might have turned out better.  Going from "we could have avoided this had DD been vaxxed" to "everyone needs to vax!" is quite the leap, though.

applejuice and rachelsmama like this.

#17 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 04:35 PM

It's a risk either way. If I don't vax and my kid gets a VPD and has serious complications, I will regret not vaxxing for that disease. If I do vax and my kid has a vaccine reaction with serious complications or develops chronic illness I suspect is vax related, I will regret vaxxing. It's not an easy decision, so I take good look at all the facts I can get my hands on, then make an educated decision based on my perception of the relative risk, and hope that luck is on my side. It's ok for these parents to feel they should have chosen a different option, but it's sad to see their regret exploited to pressure others into making different choices out of fear.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#18 of 53 Old 01-20-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

It's a risk either way. If I don't vax and my kid gets a VPD and has serious complications, I will regret not vaxxing for that disease. If I do vax and my kid has a vaccine reaction with serious complications or develops chronic illness I suspect is vax related, I will regret vaxxing. It's not an easy decision, so I take good look at all the facts I can get my hands on, then make an educated decision based on my perception of the relative risk, and hope that luck is on my side. It's ok for these parents to feel they should have chosen a different option, but it's sad to see their regret exploited to pressure others into making different choices out of fear.

Yes. This sums up how I feel, but I'm much too tired today to put it into words :)

#19 of 53 Old 01-21-2013, 03:11 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

This is the I'm Not Vaccinating forum, which is a support forum only. The forum guidelines:

Quote:
I'm Not Vaccinating - This is a support-only forum for those not or those seriously considering not vaccinating. Here we host discussion of issues that arise when choosing to not vaccinate and sharing of resources and information that are related to the no-vax decision. Members who are vaccinating should not post here to debate or argue accuracy or opinion of things posted. 

triscuitsmom, your argument seems to be advocating for vaccination. As such, your posts here are not appropriate. If you wish to state your feelings about regretting not vaccinating yourself you can do that in the Vaccination Discussions and Debate forum where the forum guidelines allow a roundtable of views and opinions. 

#20 of 53 Old 01-21-2013, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I wonder about the parent who we don't read about, the one who changed her mind, got her kids vaccinated, and then regretted it due to adverse reactions resulting in life long damage, and changing her mind back to the nonvax  stance.  I haven't seen any of those kinds of stories around.  Suppose a parent didn't vax one child, that child contracted a disease, then the parent decides to catch up her child on all other vaccines now missing, only to result in vaccine damage--now the parent has changed her mind again on vaxing and will do no more.....how many parents are like that?  I"m guessing more than we know about. 

#21 of 53 Old 01-21-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

This is the I'm Not Vaccinating forum, which is a support forum only. The forum guidelines:

triscuitsmom, your argument seems to be advocating for vaccination. As such, your posts here are not appropriate. If you wish to state your feelings about regretting not vaccinating yourself you can do that in the Vaccination Discussions and Debate forum where the forum guidelines allow a roundtable of views and opinions. 

I didn't see anything in her posts that was advocating for vaccination. She shared her personal story and related how it hurt her to have people judge her for "switching sides" on the vaccine issue. Nowhere did she advocate for others to vaccinate their child, unless you already removed/cleaned up some of her posts.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#22 of 53 Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Kathy, I share your concerns on two levels. The first we already discussed: Using scare tactics to sway parents into compliance. The second is that there's no balance to it.

Nobody on God's green earth will ever say that severe vaccine reactions never, ever, ever, ever happen. But the radical pro-vaxxers seem to prefer that those cases remain an anonymous abstraction. Once you put a name and face to a reaction, then it can't *possibly* be true. eyesroll.gif You will never see a MSM story about a vaccine reaction and, "Boy, we sure learned our lesson. From now on, we'll research vaccines thoroughly and advocate for more stringent vaccine safety."

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#23 of 53 Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademomma View Post

I didn't see anything in her posts that was advocating for vaccination. She shared her personal story and related how it hurt her to have people judge her for "switching sides" on the vaccine issue. Nowhere did she advocate for others to vaccinate their child, unless you already removed/cleaned up some of her posts.

Perhaps "advocating" is not the right word, which is why I said "seems to be". Regardless, this line of posting is not appropriate in this forum. This is a support forum, not a forum to argue why the decision to not vaccinate is or was not a good one. 

#24 of 53 Old 01-21-2013, 01:58 PM

I was an active member of this board including being a vocal non vaccinator. I was a supporter monetarily of MDC and a supporter of people looking for support and information here.

I have to say to be told I'm now no longer welcome to share given that my experience isn't unique and I don't think people are terrible. I was there. I was the same. I think it's valid to point out I wasn't different and now what I hear is hurtful. I get the objection but it sure smacks of you just aren't good enough anymore.
Magali, goldingoddess and Taximom5 like this.

Alison
#25 of 53 Old 01-21-2013, 02:12 PM

I think triscuitsmom's posts are fine. She's not arguing for vaccination, she's arguing that she disagrees with the premise of this post- which is about how a parent might feel and behave when their unvaxxed kid gets a VPD. Are we not allowed to have disagreements in these forums? It's one thing to attack others' choices, and quite another to discuss your own feelings and reactions to situations you've experienced, especially when similar situations are being discussed hypothetically. When kathymuggle asked if others agreed with her statement, she was inviting a discussion that could include agreement and disagreement. This moderation feels too heavy handed.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#26 of 53 Old 01-21-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

nm

#27 of 53 Old 01-21-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I thought the above post skated close to being pro-vax, but the others were fine.

I don't mind triscuit responding; it is a complicated issue.

One thing I do not understand about firmly switching side from non-vax to outspokenly pro-vax  (particularly if it is done very quickly, which is how it seems to be portrayed in articles) is that it seems quite reactionary.  So many factors go into choosing to vaccinate or not - disease prevalence, disease profile, vaccine safety and efficacy  are  biggies.  I can see thinking you got "disease profile" wrong or were even duped if you believed measles was always going to be a walk in the park (because you placed too much weight on anecdotes you read online) but that does not change disease prevalence rates, vaccine safety or efficacy rates.  

rachelsmama likes this.

#28 of 53 Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Nobody on God's green earth will ever say that severe vaccine reactions never, ever, ever, ever happen. But the radical pro-vaxxers seem to prefer that those cases remain an anonymous abstraction. Once you put a name and face to a reaction, then it can't *possibly* be true. eyesroll.gif You will never see a MSM story about a vaccine reaction and, "Boy, we sure learned our lesson. From now on, we'll research vaccines thoroughly and advocate for more stringent vaccine safety."

Remember this article on the boy with tetanus?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10855638

The parents in it said they wanted to write a letter to the school urging other parents to vaccinate.

Can you imagine how it would go over if a parent wrote a letter to the school about their childs severe vaccine reaction and urged people not to vaccinate?  

#29 of 53 Old 01-21-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:

I was an active member of this board including being a vocal non vaccinator. I was a supporter monetarily of MDC and a supporter of people looking for support and information here.

I have to say to be told I'm now no longer welcome to share given that my experience isn't unique and I don't think people are terrible. I was there. I was the same. I think it's valid to point out I wasn't different and now what I hear is hurtful. I get the objection but it sure smacks of you just aren't good enough anymore.

I see why the posts were flagged and why Cynthia spoke out, but I think you clarify an important distinction Triscuitsmom and that you are indeed entering the discussion for legitimate reasons.  Yes it "seemed" like it didn't belong here but in fact perhaps it does up to a point anyhow.  I wish it wasn't hurtful to you, as I think it is very hard to draw, redraw, and communicate boundaries for the group and that the intention is to create a "safe space" and this one is just tricky to see clearly.  It is intended as a non-debate area and it was feeling like a debate, but I think your comments should be included. 

I can completely see how a person who had decided not to vax when the possible consequences were only in their mind would after facing devastatingly real consequences would change their stance.  I do hate that the media portrays this with fireworks and hoopla, but perhaps the idea is to learn from the mistakes of others and everyone involved thinks they are doing a good deed.  It's hard to face when questioning this approach to health and asking for something better is not taken seriously.  We really should be working on something better than vaxes instead of more and more vaxes due to the autoimmune concerns... I dislike that everything in mainstream media about vaxes is pro-vax and apparently objectors are all fools and portrayed as such--that's what this type of article of course does. 

There are a lot of reasons to move beyond vaxes in health care approaches whichever side of the fence a person is on at this point in time, so that health care can be better than that.  It should grow better.

I completely disbelieve the poster who thinks that they will avoid severe illness with diet.  There is a lot to be said for good food but it doesn't eliminate risk.  I am also a very, very healthy person.  Don't catch flu, don't get hit hard, have unvaxxed kids, eat well, etc.  But no way do I think that I am in control because of the things I do right for my health.  I can do what I can but I could become severely ill next week anyway. 

I don't like media portrayals but I completely sympathize with anyone who has changed their stance because of the trauma of real illness.  Life is a learning journey, and when we learn, we change.

Storm Bride and Taximom5 like this.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#30 of 53 Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

littlebirds…you should write more often - you are always a pleasure to read!

I have been thinking about this topic and the responses here for the past day, in an attempt to get to the heart of the issue.

While I don't understand instantly and completely switching sides over a serious VAD  (for the reasons outlined above) I don't think I should judge it.  It is not my business.

I am annoyed by the media references as discussed above, but I am also annoyed by the idea people feel duped.  That is their feeling and they are entitled to them - but I am entitled to mine of annoyance as well.  

Saying you were duped by non-vaxxers (and google "duped by anti-vaccination" for oodles of references to people using this terminology) implies someone or some group set out to deceive.  Most non-vaxxers do not set out to deceive anyone.  They lay out the information as they see it and that is that - it is not much different from pro-vaxxers (at least lay people who argue pro-vaccination; authorities deliberately white-washing things is another matter). 

rachelsmama likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page