New Recommendation for Pregnant Women - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

What are they, nuts??????  this is in the NEW recommendations for adults...can you imagine a mother getting that every other year due to being pregnant, and the accumulation of toxins in her??    

Quote:

Tdap

The policy change in Tdap, the tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis vaccine, comes on the heels of pertussis outbreaks across the United States. The new recommendation is to vaccinate pregnant women in each and every pregnancy in the third trimester, preferably between 27 and 36 weeks. This includes pregnant women who have been vaccinated previously. Tdap is FDA approved for adults as single use only, so repeat maternal vaccination is an off-label use. Tdap booster is recommended universally for all adults, including those aged 65 years and older.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/778046

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 17 Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

jaw.gif

In the immortal words of The Hubby:  "That's insane."

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#3 of 17 Old 02-01-2013, 12:51 AM

That's just horrible. By what authority do they decide to go off label? And how can we be expected to trust anything put forth by the medical establishment when they disregard their own safety standards so blatantly?
applejuice likes this.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#4 of 17 Old 02-01-2013, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

What kinds of neuro problems are going to be in the next generation of children from fetal poisoning while in the womb? Dtap, and flu shots with every pregnancy, could potentially lend itself to a whole new slew of 'sick' children. 

Mirzam likes this.
#5 of 17 Old 02-01-2013, 06:39 AM

Not to mention that vaccinating any person with high tetanus titers is just asking for trouble. My doc back home wouldn't vax anyone unless titers were run because he had seen too many bad reactions when people got Tetanus shots galore at the ER for every cut (ending up with T-s more than every 10 years). And that's just non-pregnant people. Flu and DTaP every pregnancy... The burden on mom is huge, the experiment on the babies is atrocious. What's next? The whole series of recommended childhood vaccines in the third trimester in the hopes of creating some antibodies in baby to "close the gap" between birth and 2 months?

Imagine moms with lots of pregnancies, like the Duggar mom. Isn't she pregnant every 18 months? A woman with such lifestyle who follows recommendations will get TdaPs every 18 months...

kathymuggle likes this.
#6 of 17 Old 02-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post

jaw.gif

In the immortal words of The Hubby:  "That's insane."

Personally i think vaccinating a pregnant woman for anything is insane - but that's just me :)

Mirzam and kathymuggle like this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 17 Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 AM

Wow. This really is insane.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#8 of 17 Old 02-01-2013, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm so glad I'm done having kids. Grrr, this makes me really mad.

But it's just a recommendation, right? So far, women don't have to get it and can refuse, right?

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#9 of 17 Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Personally i think vaccinating a pregnant woman for anything is insane - but that's just me :)

Oh, we feel the same, but this is just ultra-insane.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#10 of 17 Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Most women don't wait 10 years between each pregnancy. They really need to take the tetanus out of the "pertussis" vaccine (they never will).

The following is from the tetanus-only vaccine package insert:

"Persons who experienced Arthus-type hypersensitivity reactions or temperature greater than 39.4°C (103°F) after a previous dose of a tetanus toxoid-containing preparation usually have very high serum tetanus antibody levels and should not be given even emergency doses of tetanus toxoid-containing preparation more frequently than every 10 years, even if they have a wound that is neither clean nor minor."

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM166873.pdf

So even if someone goes to an emergency room with a dirty and severe wound, if the serum tetanus antibody levels are high, they should not get another tetanus-containing vaccine.

Will pregnant women be tested for serum tetanus antibody levels before getting get another Tdap? Absolutely not.

Even if the vaccine during pregnancy didn't hurt the fetus, which I'm sure it does, hurting the mother is hurting the baby. Taking care of a baby is hard, hard work, and it's horrible to risk the health and well-being of the mother.

I can see this 20 years from now--(government officials) "Oops, we never considered the build-up of dangerously high tetanus antibody levels." (Just like they never bothered until 1999 to add up all the mercury babies were getting from vaccines).

japonica likes this.
#11 of 17 Old 02-01-2013, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I bet most docs/hospital won't test for antibodies - too expensive. Just a shot and you are done. Right?

What worries me is that they recommend it despite it being off label. Does anybody know here how severe complications from off-label use are handled in legal terms? Does that mean the doc/nurse etc who gave the shot would be held liable?

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#12 of 17 Old 02-01-2013, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva23 View Post

What worries me is that they recommend it despite it being off label. 

That seems to be standard these day.  It is what is happening with the flu vaccine and pregnant women.

Here is the chain of events:

1.  Create big scare.

2.  Tell pregnant women to take vaccine.  Justify this as xyz is so dangerous in pregnancy/ newborns (maybe true - but what is the prevalence and where is the reasearch)?  Use "big scare" as necessary

3.  Several years later, say "we have this data from pregnant women and we see no increase in issues "  (ignore anything negative VAERS says, though…)

So..scare women and turn them and their fetuses into guinea pigs.  Nice.  irked.gif

Slightly OT, but vaccines are a hard sell among adults.  Most are not up to date.   I bet they are less of a hard sell among pregnant women (I mean who wants to endanger their baby? - which is what they say you are doing if you decline to vax).  I wonder if pregnant women are seen as a viable and emerging market for Big Pharma.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#13 of 17 Old 02-01-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva23 View Post

Does anybody know here how severe complications from off-label use are handled in legal terms? Does that mean the doc/nurse etc who gave the shot would be held liable?

I doubt the individual would be held liable, but the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program does take off label claims.

Quote:

Eligibility for compensation is not affected by whether a covered vaccine is
administered off-label or against administration recommendations  http://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/vaccinetable.html

#14 of 17 Old 02-01-2013, 03:09 PM

On the subject of pregnant women and vaccines, what is the story on GlaxoSmithKline? They have a registry for pregnant women who receive the Fluarix vaccine, in order to gather data about birth defects?

http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/flu-shot-not-tested-on-pregnant-women-newborn-babies-monitored-for-birth-defects-by-drug-company/

From what I understand, it has been illegal to test drugs on pregnant women since the 1960's (?). This is not testing, as the vaccine has been licensed already and the insert states that it's safety has not been tested on pregnant or nursing mothers. What is to be of the nursing child I wonder, as the registry seems to only follow mother until the time of birth.

Does anyone have any further info on this?

Sorry to highjack the topic thread OP.

#15 of 17 Old 02-01-2013, 05:49 PM

Interesting study regarding flu vaccines in pregnant women, and we all know nothing has been studied to that regard with Tdap:

Conclusions: Trivalent influenza virus vaccination elicits a measurable inflammatory response among pregnant women. (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264410X11014459)

And digest it with reading this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23337946

#16 of 17 Old 02-01-2013, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

The following is from the tetanus-only vaccine package insert:

"Persons who experienced Arthus-type hypersensitivity reactions or temperature greater than 39.4°C (103°F) after a previous dose of a tetanus toxoid-containing preparation usually have very high serum tetanus antibody levels and should not be given even emergency doses of tetanus toxoid-containing preparation more frequently than every 10 years, even if they have a wound that is neither clean nor minor."

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM166873.pdf

So even if someone goes to an emergency room with a dirty and severe wound, if the serum tetanus antibody levels are high, they should not get another tetanus-containing vaccine.

Ugh, if only I knew back then...I had a tetanus shot in the ER sometime circa 2005, horribly sick afterwards, but hey, I had no clue.  A year later I was in the ER again getting stitches for a dog bite - they asked my tetanus status, I said I didn't know, they hit me wtih another.  I found the card afterwards in my wallet with the info for the 1st shot!  It was a huge turning point for my migraines and I've still had trouble getting them under control, and I didn't put two and two together until shortly after I got pregnant with DD and began reading up on vaxes.  Needless to say I decline anything involving a needle during my pregnancy and short of being pinned to the table I'll be damned if someone tells me I have to get boosters for any future pregnancies.  Those poor, poor kids are going to suffer horribly and no one will ever own up and take the blame which makes me very sad for the future generations.

#17 of 17 Old 02-02-2013, 03:46 PM

Absurd. 

I can imagine that soon they will campaign to inject babies before they are born directly. 

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page