frustrated about foster care - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

So we were not vaxxing but every where I turn I get "forced" into it.  First we had a pediatrician that bullied us into vaxxing dd#2.  Every time I turned around there was more and more strong arm tactics until we chose a different ped.  Then when ds went to preschool there wasn't an opt out clause-  he had to be vaxxed.  But we were selective.  He hadn't ever had any shots and then all of a sudden it was required.  

Now we are trying to do foster care (which would honestly help us so I could stay home and start homeschooling again) but they are "making" us vax!  I am so frustrated.  We went through the entire thing and they are now saying that if we want to do this we at least have to be on a delayed schedule.  It is ridiculous that they would do that.  My point was ok- for the kids in my care that are not legally mine, the state can say they have to have them.  But for my own kids? If the vaccines really worked why do they care if my kids are vaxxed or not? 

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  
#2 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Unfortunately, if you wish to foster then you have to vaccinate your own children. It is wrong, and based on gross ignorance, but you but there is no way out of this, you can't fight it. Personally, I would never compromise the health of my children, so I would never foster. I would also have very hard time watching a child in my care get vaccinated, I could not be party to potentially harming a child.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

I know. It's ridiculous. At this point we are saying we are on a delayed schedule and leaving it at that.

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  
#4 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I've heard that there is no getting around the foster care vax requirement, but do they actually demand to see your children's medical records?

applejuice likes this.
#5 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

yes

#6 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

But, they typically don't check later on

#7 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What state are you in? I'm in Texas and we don't have to vaccinate to foster. I'm sorry that you do. Has anyone shown you the policy in writing? I've found that sometimes people assume the answer or think they know.....
applejuice, kathymuggle and Gmomma like this.
#8 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

I am in AZ. I haven't asked to see it in writing.  I should.  Thanks for the idea.  I wish I could live here but foster in TX!!!

applejuice likes this.

#9 of 12 Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 PM

Che
Quote:
Originally Posted by granolamommie View Post

So we were not vaxxing but every where I turn I get "forced" into it.  First we had a pediatrician that bullied us into vaxxing dd#2.  Every time I turned around there was more and more strong arm tactics until we chose a different ped.  Then when ds went to preschool there wasn't an opt out clause-  he had to be vaxxed.  But we were selective.  He hadn't ever had any shots and then all of a sudden it was required.  

Now we are trying to do foster care (which would honestly help us so I could stay home and start homeschooling again) but they are "making" us vax!  I am so frustrated.  We went through the entire thing and they are now saying that if we want to do this we at least have to be on a delayed schedule.  It is ridiculous that they would do that.  My point was ok- for the kids in my care that are not legally mine, the state can say they have to have them.  But for my own kids? If the vaccines really worked why do they care if my kids are vaxxed or not? 

Hi again. Good news. Check this out

Senate Bill 1108 was approved 5-2 by the Senate Health and Human Services Committee. The bill would allow families whose children are not fully immunized to still get licensed as foster families. The Arizona Department of Economic Security would retain the authority about where to place foster children, the Arizona Republic reports.
Look it up. It may be good to get you a step closer to that license!
applejuice and solstices like this.
#10 of 12 Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maos211 View Post

Che
Quote:
Originally Posted by granolamommie View Post

Hi again. Good news. Check this out

Senate Bill 1108 was approved 5-2 by the Senate Health and Human Services Committee. The bill would allow families whose children are not fully immunized to still get licensed as foster families. The Arizona Department of Economic Security would retain the authority about where to place foster children, the Arizona Republic reports.
Look it up. It may be good to get you a step closer to that license!

THANK YOU!!!!!
applejuice likes this.

#11 of 12 Old 09-11-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:

What state are you in? I'm in Texas and we don't have to vaccinate to foster. I'm sorry that you do. Has anyone shown you the policy in writing? I've found that sometimes people assume the answer or think they know.....

I am so happy to see this. Just thinking about fostering to adopt but do not want to have to deal with Vax issues. THANK YOU! I'm in Texas too. But you will have to have the vaccinate the foster child while it is still a ward of the state right? Before adoption?

applejuice likes this.
#12 of 12 Old 12-09-2013, 07:13 PM

Just wanted to say I am in Illinois and we don't have to vaccinate.  We do vaccinate our kids against some things and actually even got the flu vaccine for the first time this year because we have a medically fragile foster child.  But we were not required to get the flu vaccine and actually my oldest just came down with chicken pox and foster child's pediatrician is aware and not super concerned.  We do make sure that foster child gets all her vaccines and we do everything the doctors ask and recommend even if it is not my first choice.  For example, the little one has had a lot of pediasure and if it were up to me I would try to get something more natural in her but I try to go with the flow and recognize that I am not her mom, I'm her foster mom, and some of those choices are not mine to make for her.  But as far as how we raise our own children the state has been very understanding.  We also homeschool our kids and that is obviously not usually an option with foster kids.

Gmomma likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page