frustrated about foster care - Mothering Forums
I'm Not Vaccinating > frustrated about foster care
granolamommie's Avatar granolamommie 08:02 AM 02-02-2013

So we were not vaxxing but every where I turn I get "forced" into it.  First we had a pediatrician that bullied us into vaxxing dd#2.  Every time I turned around there was more and more strong arm tactics until we chose a different ped.  Then when ds went to preschool there wasn't an opt out clause-  he had to be vaxxed.  But we were selective.  He hadn't ever had any shots and then all of a sudden it was required.  

Now we are trying to do foster care (which would honestly help us so I could stay home and start homeschooling again) but they are "making" us vax!  I am so frustrated.  We went through the entire thing and they are now saying that if we want to do this we at least have to be on a delayed schedule.  It is ridiculous that they would do that.  My point was ok- for the kids in my care that are not legally mine, the state can say they have to have them.  But for my own kids? If the vaccines really worked why do they care if my kids are vaxxed or not? 

Mirzam's Avatar Mirzam 08:45 AM 02-02-2013

Unfortunately, if you wish to foster then you have to vaccinate your own children. It is wrong, and based on gross ignorance, but you but there is no way out of this, you can't fight it. Personally, I would never compromise the health of my children, so I would never foster. I would also have very hard time watching a child in my care get vaccinated, I could not be party to potentially harming a child.

granolamommie's Avatar granolamommie 09:19 AM 02-02-2013
I know. It's ridiculous. At this point we are saying we are on a delayed schedule and leaving it at that.
ma2two's Avatar ma2two 11:19 AM 02-02-2013

I've heard that there is no getting around the foster care vax requirement, but do they actually demand to see your children's medical records?

granolamommie's Avatar granolamommie 06:57 PM 02-02-2013

yes

granolamommie's Avatar granolamommie 07:41 PM 02-02-2013
But, they typically don't check later on
maos211's Avatar maos211 09:16 PM 02-02-2013
What state are you in? I'm in Texas and we don't have to vaccinate to foster. I'm sorry that you do. Has anyone shown you the policy in writing? I've found that sometimes people assume the answer or think they know.....
granolamommie's Avatar granolamommie 11:01 PM 02-02-2013

I am in AZ. I haven't asked to see it in writing.  I should.  Thanks for the idea.  I wish I could live here but foster in TX!!!

maos211's Avatar maos211 01:22 PM 02-05-2013
Che
Quote:
Originally Posted by granolamommie View Post

So we were not vaxxing but every where I turn I get "forced" into it.  First we had a pediatrician that bullied us into vaxxing dd#2.  Every time I turned around there was more and more strong arm tactics until we chose a different ped.  Then when ds went to preschool there wasn't an opt out clause-  he had to be vaxxed.  But we were selective.  He hadn't ever had any shots and then all of a sudden it was required.  

Now we are trying to do foster care (which would honestly help us so I could stay home and start homeschooling again) but they are "making" us vax!  I am so frustrated.  We went through the entire thing and they are now saying that if we want to do this we at least have to be on a delayed schedule.  It is ridiculous that they would do that.  My point was ok- for the kids in my care that are not legally mine, the state can say they have to have them.  But for my own kids? If the vaccines really worked why do they care if my kids are vaxxed or not? 

Hi again. Good news. Check this out

Senate Bill 1108 was approved 5-2 by the Senate Health and Human Services Committee. The bill would allow families whose children are not fully immunized to still get licensed as foster families. The Arizona Department of Economic Security would retain the authority about where to place foster children, the Arizona Republic reports.
Look it up. It may be good to get you a step closer to that license!

granolamommie's Avatar granolamommie 10:33 PM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by maos211 View Post

Che
Quote:
Originally Posted by granolamommie View Post

Hi again. Good news. Check this out

Senate Bill 1108 was approved 5-2 by the Senate Health and Human Services Committee. The bill would allow families whose children are not fully immunized to still get licensed as foster families. The Arizona Department of Economic Security would retain the authority about where to place foster children, the Arizona Republic reports.
Look it up. It may be good to get you a step closer to that license!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Gmomma's Avatar Gmomma 12:35 PM 09-11-2013
Quote:

What state are you in? I'm in Texas and we don't have to vaccinate to foster. I'm sorry that you do. Has anyone shown you the policy in writing? I've found that sometimes people assume the answer or think they know.....

I am so happy to see this. Just thinking about fostering to adopt but do not want to have to deal with Vax issues. THANK YOU! I'm in Texas too. But you will have to have the vaccinate the foster child while it is still a ward of the state right? Before adoption?

pwit's Avatar pwit 08:13 PM 12-09-2013

Just wanted to say I am in Illinois and we don't have to vaccinate.  We do vaccinate our kids against some things and actually even got the flu vaccine for the first time this year because we have a medically fragile foster child.  But we were not required to get the flu vaccine and actually my oldest just came down with chicken pox and foster child's pediatrician is aware and not super concerned.  We do make sure that foster child gets all her vaccines and we do everything the doctors ask and recommend even if it is not my first choice.  For example, the little one has had a lot of pediasure and if it were up to me I would try to get something more natural in her but I try to go with the flow and recognize that I am not her mom, I'm her foster mom, and some of those choices are not mine to make for her.  But as far as how we raise our own children the state has been very understanding.  We also homeschool our kids and that is obviously not usually an option with foster kids.

Tags: Vaccinations
Up