Norovirus vaccine - how soon is too soon - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Well quite soon apparently there will be a new vaccine out on the market for Norovirus.

http://www.ligocyte.com/downloads/Noro.pdf

You may choose from intramuscular or nasal.

http://virology-online.com/viruses/Diarrhoea5.htm

"There is a possibility of developing vaccines against noroviruses using recombinant capsid proteins. However, this is complicated by the high variability and high mutation rate of norovirus strains. Also, it is not clear whether there would be great demand for a vaccine against a virus that normally causes a very mild disease. "

I would like to learn more about its efficacy first given the high mutation rate. Although we all suffered from a norovirus outbreak here last year to varying extends, I got the feeling that our immune system emerged strengthened from it as we have not come down with any other bug. And people around us have colds and such galore at present.

What are your opinion on this topic?

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm quite skeptical. Especially when it comes to the attenuated one... not a good idea IMHO. I've had norovirus and it stinks but it's not the end of the world, so I personally would never vaccinate against it. Also, norovirus has a super high mutation rate, faster than the flu even, and they are having trouble isolating it even. So how would there be a reliable vaccine anyways?

#3 of 12 Old 02-03-2013, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Anything for pharma to make a buck on....

#4 of 12 Old 02-03-2013, 05:53 PM

Have to disagree with some of the above comments.

Yes its a tough virus to isolate in a lab environment but there still have been great development that was achieved by scientists in creating an immunity in Phase I.

You will still have to get a vaccine shot every 6-12 months.

I nearly died of dehydration from this virus and many have died in third world countries especially children and the elderly.

#5 of 12 Old 02-03-2013, 06:03 PM

Hi there jj28west and welcome to Mothering.com!  Since this is your first post, you probably aren't aware that you landed in a forum section just for discussions among people who do not vaccinate and are critical of vaccination. 

There is another area for debating both pros and cons of vaccinations as well as an area for selective vaccination and pro-vaccination discussion where those topics are hosted and very welcome: 

http://www.mothering.com/community/f/17459/vaccinations-discussion-and-debate

http://www.mothering.com/community/f/373/mindful-vaccination

IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#6 of 12 Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Yah and we're not in a 3rd world country.  Every 6-12 mos, huh?  We don't vax anymore after bad reactions for DD, so even a one time shot is a no-no for us, never mind something twice a year!

#7 of 12 Old 02-03-2013, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)

Anytime I have to go to the doctors or hospital I worry I will get sick. I wash my hands a lot, and try not to sit near people.   My sister got C difficile from a hospital stay.  

I occasionally wonder if repeated doctor visits for such things as vaccines are worth it.  What are the stats on Norovirus - how many get it?  How many is it complicated in - and who?  All of this is versus your chances of catching something at the doctors office.  

It might be that it is not  worth it to go to the doctors or health clinic every 6 months.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#8 of 12 Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Anytime I have to go to the doctors or hospital I worry I will get sick. I wash my hands a lot, and try not to sit near people.   My sister got C difficile from a hospital stay.  

Yep.  Only time DD was sick thus far this winter was about a week after her 1yr well baby visit - and I know it came from there since she and I got sick exact same time.

#9 of 12 Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Within the past 20 years I caught Norovirus TWICE and I work in a pharmacy setting so there are sick people all the time. Why in the world would I go and have myself vaccinated TWICE a year for someting I catch ONCE every 10 years.

I agree that dehydration is a severe problem esp. in 3-world-countries, but here it should be common sense that when you lose a lot of fluids to replace them.

Now I am wondering about the logistics to get all these shots to all those people who would need safe drinking water and sanitation the most. And that twice a year. Who is going to pay for that? WHO?

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#10 of 12 Old 02-04-2013, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva23 View Post

Within the past 20 years I caught Norovirus TWICE and I work in a pharmacy setting so there are sick people all the time. Why in the world would I go and have myself vaccinated TWICE a year for someting I catch ONCE every 10 years.

I agree that dehydration is a severe problem esp. in 3-world-countries, but here it should be common sense that when you lose a lot of fluids to replace them.

Now I am wondering about the logistics to get all these shots to all those people who would need safe drinking water and sanitation the most. And that twice a year. Who is going to pay for that? WHO?

and Gates

#11 of 12 Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I occasionally wonder if repeated doctor visits for such things as vaccines are worth it.  What are the stats on Norovirus - how many get it?  How many is it complicated in - and who?  All of this is versus your chances of catching something at the doctors office.  

It might be that it is not  worth it to go to the doctors or health clinic every 6 months.  

The stats? I'm sure they'll get over-inflated when the vax starts circulating. Every time someone pukes, including morning-sick pregnant women, it will get recorded as norovirus. Every time someone dies shortly after puking, it will be logged as norovirus mortality. People will leave the pharmacists and clinics feeling all confident about the vaccine and then develop "norovirus-like symptoms."

I wonder if Gates will help fund the development of a vaccine for greed...
nia82 likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#12 of 12 Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 AM

People,

I have to apologize and should be more careful where google lands me. I was just adding my 2 cents but now realized in what type of community...... sorry....duck.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page