Can someone explain passive immunity to me in terms of vaccines? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got in a fight with a woman at church today. She's a school nurse, and in general a very stubborn woman. I walked away -- I'm not skilled in confrontation.  But she was loudly complaining about how the current pertussis epidemic is the fault of the unvaccinated.  When I pointed out that all of the children from the local day care who came down with pertussis were fully vaccinated, she started going on and on about passive immunity, and that everyone needs to be vaxed for it to work (maybe she was confusing herd immunity?)  She then told me that it was most definitely NOT the fault of vaccines that my son has PDD.  She's never met him and doesn't know his story, so at this point I walked away. 

If you have a good layman's article on passive immunity, or you want to try to explain it to me yourself, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#2 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

hug2.gif... I don't know what to tell you ... there's such a deeply entrenched belief with this whole vax thing ... I pretty much expect it, out there in the real world and even here at MDC - though it's still downright unpleasant whenever it happens ... The guilt-tripping, shaming, judging, dismissing vax reaction ... etc etc ...

It does sound like she's confusing herd immunity and passive immunity.  Have you looked at this article?

http://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/passive-immunization

Pro rights (vaxes).
#3 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you.  My days of research were years ago (when my son went through this) so this was a good refresher.  And yes, I think she was confusing herd immunity with passive immunity.  

Thanks again for the link -- and the hug!  I feel better now that I don't have her messing with my head.  Also, it was a wake-up call that I should keep up with my vaccine and immunology reading.  It won't affect our decision to stop vaccinating, but it does make me feel more secure when I get attacked.

#4 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 03:12 PM

I so hate those discussions. I avoid them like the plague, but when it does come up, it's mostly always total ignorance and lack of any personal research whatsoever. Just repeating the same garbage that has been shoved down their throats for decades.

Off topic a bit, but my husband has worked with 2 women on separate occasions recently, one is a nurse and the other is a highly paid pharmaceutical rep. He told both of them in conversation  that we don't vaccinate, (for the life of me, I don't know why he would bring up our vaccination choices to people), and both of them said "good for you, I wouldn't either." Refreshing.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#5 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

That was indeed refreshing.

Was just at a party with a friend and we were discussing the whole mentality of repeating what's been shoved down one's throat by the media, pharmaceuticals... it's an epidemic of ignorance.

#6 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Passive immunity generally means the kind of immunity you get from breastfeeding or placental transfer.  It's when antibodies are transferred from one person to another.  Sounds like she meant herd immunity.

I'm sorry it sounds like she was so rude.  That was surely unpleasant.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page