Undervaccinated Toddler & Supplements to strengthen Immune system. Suggestions?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-07-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

What daily supplements do you give your kiddos to help boost their immune systems?

My son is 2.5, we stopped immunizations after an adverse reaction to his 1 year round of shots. Wish I could turn back the hands of time with the knowledge I have now and never vaccinate!

I'm just recently reading up on and really getting into herbal supplements, homeopathy, organic foods, etc...all that good stuff.

Currently he takes (Nordic Berries Multivitamin Treats) by Nordic Naturals. I just purchased some elderberry syrup to help with the current cough/cold he has at the moment.

I am wondering if any one could recommend some daily supplements to support his immune system. Probiotics? dha omega 3? Other vitamins and herbs? Also I purchased (Eldertussin sugar free Elderberry syrup) by herbsforkids. The dosage for his weight is 1tsp. Does any one know how many times a day, and what length of time should I give this to him?

Would love to hear all suggestions and knowledge on the subject.

#2 of 14 Old 02-07-2013, 02:00 PM

Elderberry is great during the winter, Vitamin D3, Extra vitamin C, Probiotics are great for the immune system, DHA oil is great for many things. Also, diet; NO sugar, no milk, lots of fresh fruits and veggies (eat organic as much as possible), and if you eat meat, make sure it's organic and stay away from processed/hydrogenated foods.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#3 of 14 Old 02-07-2013, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Sea Buckthorn juice, elderberry juice, Vitamin D3, Schuessler's cell salts, the basic 12 (daily No. 1 + 2 + 7) and the others as needed, lots of veggies (raw) and fruit, I try to stick with whatever is in season and local grown and whole grain. She does get her cup of milk every day though and I also let her have a small amount of sweets (eg. a piece of dark chocolate or 3 gummy bears). We go plenty outdoors walking and playing and we sing a lot (great for immune system too). Herbs play a big role in our diet too.

You should just do what you feel comfortable with. It is a lot of trial and error and  a whole lot of research. I love MDC for providing so much information and exchange with other like-minded people.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#4 of 14 Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 AM

I follow a lot of Weston A Price Foundation recommendations for Traditional and whole foods. Fermented Cod Liver Oil is a daily supplement in our house. Sarah at TheHealthyHomeEconomist has a lot of great info.

And yes, I agree, definitely do research and see what works best for your kiddos and household. FCLO doesn't taste great!

#5 of 14 Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM

Do you breastfeed? Human milk changes in composition as your child grows so although a two year old doesn't get as much as a two month old the immunity boosting substances actually increase... Amazing! If you have already weaned you can look into re-lactation. Dr. Newman's website has good re-lactation protocols you could follow.
landofjuncovill likes this.
#6 of 14 Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloebelle View Post

Elderberry is great during the winter, Vitamin D3, Extra vitamin C, Probiotics are great for the immune system, DHA oil is great for many things. Also, diet; NO sugar, no milk, lots of fresh fruits and veggies (eat organic as much as possible), and if you eat meat, make sure it's organic and stay away from processed/hydrogenated foods.

This is pretty much us in a nutshell :-)  I did take DD to a naturopath to pinpoint her food sensitivities (well, moreso to confirm what I had figured ot on my own - dairy and oats) and figure out just how much damage was done by the few vaxes she did get (stopped after the 4mo) and she detoxed her from those with homeopathics.

#7 of 14 Old 02-09-2013, 09:45 PM

Oh man, ok. Both my toddlers recieve:

1. 1000 mg of Vit D ( really good for the immune system and getting enough D early in life, will have benefits well into adulthood.)
2. Calcium. (since it's pretty much null and void in multis)
3. Multivitaim. (they get an organic, raw one to ensure maximum asorbtion)
4. 1000 mg of Vit C (spread throughout the day. Never give vitamins all together in one big lump)
5. DHA (SO good for the immune, not to mention growing eyes and brains!!! Also, amazing for the skin.)
6. Probiotics (they get a non-dairy, coconut based probiotic that has about 100 billion units per serving. The more the better, you cannot overdose)

Diet should be all organic. Toxins are real heavy on the system, especially developing ones. I don't give my kiddos meat, because whatever can be found in meat can be found in (healthier) veggies. But that's just me. They don't get sugar, but eat tons of fruit. No cow anything, everything is coconut based. I just love the coconut I guess.......lol

Good for you mama!!! Good luck. It can be daunting walking down the children's supplements isle. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#8 of 14 Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 PM

Shanesmom, i think your supplement regimen sounds great. If I may ask, what brands of calcium, probiotics, multi, and vit. C do you give your toddlers? My 2-year old will take fish oil and vitamin d drops but I haven't found a good calcium or multi for him, and can't get him to take the vit. C I've got for him.

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#9 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Unvaccinated children are not deficient in vaccines or even antibodies* for that matter. I thought I would repost an excellent article by Jon Rappaport that didn't get much of a response, but it is, IMO exellent.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/is-there-any-logic-behind-vaccine-claims/

Not saying supplements aren't beneficial, but the thoughtform that an unvaccinated or undervaccinated child is at an immune disadvantage is untrue. It is just the opposite IMO. 

* Link added: Study calls into quesion primary justification for vaccines

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#10 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 10:32 AM

I agree with other posters in stating that they give their kids Vitamin D3 to boost immunity, and some even state that their kids receive 1000iu per day. 

The best source of Vitamin D is sunshine, but those of us who don't get adequate daily sunlight, especially in the winter, we opt for supplementation. 

I know for adults, it is recommended that we get our Vitamin D blood levels tested on higher, therapeutic doses of Vitamin D.

The correct test is 25(OH)D, also called 25-hydroxyvitamin D.

As a non/under-vaxxer, I can't stress the importance of having a plan should your child actually contract a "Vaccine Preventable" Disease (VPD).  I can't tell you how many times I've freaked out when my child has gotten a deep, dirty puncture wound as I scramble around to ER and get scolded by ER doctor and instructed to get the vaccine (although it's too late at that time) and even get instructed to administer the Tetanus Toxin Immunoglobulin (TIG).

Is there a book out there for detection, first aid, treatment and care for children contracting a VPD?

prettysymmetry likes this.
#11 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Not saying supplements aren't beneficial, but the thoughtform that an unvaccinated or undervaccinated child is at an immune disadvantage is untrue. It is just the opposite IMO.

I agree with this. Thinking we have to take extra measures to protect our unvaccinated kids is giving a lot of credit to vaccines. The things I do for the health of my kids, I would do no matter what. I believe my kids' immune systems are a lot stronger than if I vaccinated.

kathymuggle likes this.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#12 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 03:24 PM

@sassyfirechick: How did you detox?  After a bad rxn, we decided to stop altogether...

#13 of 14 Old 02-14-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

I'm glad you said this. We don't worry about it much, really. I give DS vitamin C and D3... Elderberry, but not regularly, and fishoil.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#14 of 14 Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

The ND tested her to see what vaxxes she reacted to, determined it was Hib and DTaP and then put together a specific homeopathic mix for them, 2 weeks for each.  I know with homeopathic it's very specific to the individual and I don't know exactly what hers was a combination of - her probiotic alone was hard and from a group of about 20 brands/varieties there was only one that she did not react to.  I actually have to make an appt for a follow up to see if she's good as far as the vax detox.

If you are not familiar with the testing it's similar to what accupuncturists do before inserting needles - you hold an arm out stiff, they touch a point on the meridians and if they can drop your arm with the pressure of one finger, that spot is blocked.  So in homeopathic testing, they hand you a vial with a substance - food, supplement, vitamin, vaccine - and whether or not your arm drops tells them what your body is reactive to.  For babies they use the parent as a channel for the energy, so my daughter sat on my lap holding the vials and the ND used my arm to guage the reaction.  Sorry - it's a super crude explanantion, I don't know the specifics but I do know it works!

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page