Dumb questions about not vaxing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-11-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I delayed vaxing my daughter until 4 months, then I allowed 3 vaccines, then I did some more research and regretted that and now I am not allowing any other vaccines to be given to her and any future children of mine. But, I'm not sure what else to do. So, this is probably a dumb question, but if you do not vaccinate your children, does that mean they will never receive vaccines? or does it mean they won't receive them until they go to college or decide to travel internationally, or do you leave that up to them to decide when they are adults? 

#2 of 10 Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM

My children won't receive vaccines while they're under my care. If they decide as adults, that's their choice.  I don't know yet what we'd do if we traveled internationally. I'd come here and get advice on how to avoid them. orngbiggrin.gif

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#3 of 10 Old 02-12-2013, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)

I don't know that they will never receive any vaccines.  They may decide to get them for travel or because their job requires it.  I was looking at a College program the other day - and most in the sciences (such as paramedic) did require vaccination or titre testing.  Ugh.  That will be their call, though, not mine.

I don't think I would travel anywhere with them that required vaccination - or where vaccination might be a good idea.  We would just go to a different locale. 

It would not surprise me if the girls decided to get MMR as adults (I hope they get titres drawn first).  While rubella is very rare, it can cause issues with the fetus.  I believe it is their decision, though - this is largely a reproductive issue, so they can figure it out later.  

Lastly, my youngest does have one vax.  She got it last year (she was 9) as she is a chesty child and I felt it might benefit her.  It was a long thought out and researched decision.  We are non-vax in general, but I do think for specific vaccines and in somewhat rare situations it might be a good idea.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 10 Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I don't know that they will never receive any vaccines.  They may decide to get them for travel or because their job requires it.  I was looking at a College program the other day - and most in the sciences (such as paramedic) did require vaccination or titre testing.  Ugh.  That will be their call, though, not mine.

I don't think I would travel anywhere with them that required vaccination - or where vaccination might be a good idea.  We would just go to a different locale. 

It would not surprise me if the girls decided to get MMR as adults (I hope they get titres drawn first).  While rubella is very rare, it can cause issues with the fetus.  I believe it is their decision, though - this is largely a reproductive issue, so they can figure it out later.  

Lastly, my youngest does have one vax.  She got it last year (she was 9) as she is a chesty child and I felt it might benefit her.  It was a long thought out and researched decision.  We are non-vax in general, but I do think for specific vaccines and in somewhat rare situations it might be a good idea.  

What is titre testing? And what do you mean she is a chesty child? What vaccine is that for? 

#5 of 10 Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuelephante View Post

What is titre testing? And what do you mean she is a chesty child? What vaccine is that for? 

Titre testing is when you have blood work drawn so they can test for signs of immunity.

Chicken pox and rubella are both diseases that can be so mild that people do not even realise they had them.  Something like 75% of adults who think they did not have CP, upon titre testing do show immunity to it.

Rubella is less prevalent so most people have not had it, none-the-less it is an incredibly mild disease - people who do get it often do not realise they had it. 

What I mean by she is a chesty child is that she often develops secondary infections (i.e pneumonia) from viruses. We are working hard to stop this cycle (with some success, I hope!) There is a pneumonia vaccine (Prevnar)  that offers some protection against some strains of bacterial pneumonia.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#6 of 10 Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Titre testing is when you have blood work drawn so they can test for signs of immunity.

Chicken pox and rubella are both diseases that can be so mild that people do not even realise they had them.  Something like 75% of adults who think they did not have CP, upon titre testing do show immunity to it.

Rubella is less prevalent so most people have not had it, none-the-less it is an incredibly mild disease - people who do get it often do not realise they had it. 

What I mean by she is a chesty child is that she often develops secondary infections (i.e pneumonia) from viruses. We are working hard to stop this cycle (with some success, I hope!) There is a pneumonia vaccine (Prevnar)  that offers some protection against some strains of bacterial pneumonia.  

has she gotten pneumonia again since she got the vax?

#7 of 10 Old 02-12-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

has she gotten pneumonia again since she got the vax?

No - but it has not been long enough to tell.  I also do not expect it to eradicate all pneumonia, but I will be ticked if it does not lower it.   Ask me again in 5 years if we are still on here fighting against vaccine propaganda, lol.

Of course, we are also doing other things to decrease her chances of getting pneumonia.  
Some supplements, plus some breathing exercises that help move the mucous around so it does not settle in her chest when she gets a virus.  So…even if she does decrease her incidents of pneumonia, we won't really know what caused it - vaccine, supplement, breathing exercises….  I will wear a big smile if her pneumonia goes down smile.gif  Up until now, she has averaged 1-2 chest infections per year. 

A little OT, but she only needed one vaccine (no boosters) but had she gotten the vaccine as a baby or young child would have needed a bunch of boosters. Even if people are considering a vax for one reason or another, they need to study the schedule.  Sometimes delaying a vax can mean the difference between needing boosters and/or the number of boosters.  

#8 of 10 Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Good to know! I'm learning a lot here, thank you :)

#9 of 10 Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 AM

Twenty years ago I read that there is an increased chance of autism if the mom is given a rubella vax in childbearing years, increasing the closer to pregnancy. I don't know if that was disproved or not. I never checked, since I had a boy, so no girls to worry about.
#10 of 10 Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I never say never - but it is doubtful that as long as my children are minors they will get a vax for anything. However, things can change is if there was a good reason to consider a particular vaccine - I would.

When they are adults, they will obviously be responsible for their own choices. I hope by then, I have been able to teach them what I know about the issue so that they can go on and do their own research and come to a well thought out choice. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page