30 min seizure after pentacel vax - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 05-22-2013, 05:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersmama View Post

so happy we went to see the integrative m.d., also a DAN doctor. we had a 2 hour consult with him, where we discussed bacteria, virus, disease, the immune system and vaccines. he shared a lot of research and most important, he LISTENED to our story. he validated our experience. he talked of the many mothers and fathers who walk through his doors with similar stories, about how their children were just fine, and then a vaccination...

he told us we were in all likelihood lucky that we had not allowed more shots at a younger age for our DD.

so now we are doing a battery of lab tests, urine and blood, checking for everything that might be useful or problematic, depending upon your perspective. we will have to wait a few weeks for all the results to come in, at which time we will have another consult and a treatment plan will be outlined.

overall i was very impressed with his knowledge, and also his humility. he knew his stuff, but was quick to point out that no doctor is god, no doctor can guarantee that a vaccination or medication or treatment is safe for everyone. he encouraged me to read and research, advocate for my child and follow my instincts.

Great!

caffix.gif

#32 of 37 Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

update:

after many urine and blood labs, the results are in. my DD has high levels of mercury, lead and cadmium in her body. OMG! scary. she also is very low vitamin d (common for wisconsin), too low zinc/too high copper (supposed to be balanced?), low calcium, low b6, low vitamin c, low carnitine. some of these results are evidence of inflammation in her brain. she also has an overgrowth of fungus/yeast in her intestines, which contributes to high oxalic levels (dr. says result of antibiotics). SO, i am trying to digest, research all this, much of beyond my scope of understanding.

we are adding more supplements, in addition to those she already started (probiotic, omega 3, multivitamin), as well as short course antifungal and carnitine prescriptions.

and the really big news: we are starting a 6 week elimination diet on monday. oh boy. i think this is going to be a big challenge for our family. so i am also researching this like crazy to prepare.

we are including our older DD in this treatment (minus the prescriptions).  also, the dr. is hopeful that once we get our DD in balance, inflammation calmed down, etc., we can request to wean off seizure medication. continuing to see the chiropractor regularly. *whew*

i really wonder what these tests would say about my own heavy metal levels, imbalances, etc. maybe someday everyone in our family can be tested. our running total for medical expenses (since 1st seizure in feb.) is close to $28,000. we are looking into personal injury/vaccine lawyer.

also interesting to note: the 3rd dose of vaccine she received, just before the 1st seizure was not pentacel (as were her 1st 2 doses), but pediarix, which is DTap, Hep B, Polio. the pentacel is DTap, Hib, Polio. the pediarix contains WAY more aluminum than the pentacel, i need to look into the rest of the ingredients (my brain, ability to research is overwhelmed). i do not recall ever being told that they were switching out one vax for the other. i have a copy of the waiver i signed, the name of the vax was handwritten in, don't know if it was written before or after i signed. it is not super legible either. ugh.

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

#33 of 37 Old 06-15-2013, 10:34 AM

When my DS had 2nd Pentacel, 4 weeks later he was diagnoised with the first of 4 ear infections! Then he developed a congested cough that lasted 5 months!!!! Same thing here-I was told " can't be a vaccination reaction." That was the LAST shot he had! Summersmama...I'm so glad you found a doctor that listens. I'm in the process of interviewing for a new one myself, I was discharged from last pedi.!
#34 of 37 Old 06-15-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:

update:
after many urine and blood labs, the results are in. my DD has high levels of mercury, lead and cadmium in her body. OMG! scary. she also is very low vitamin d (common for wisconsin), too low zinc/too high copper (supposed to be balanced?), low calcium, low b6, low vitamin c, low carnitine. some of these results are evidence of inflammation in her brain. she also has an overgrowth of fungus/yeast in her intestines, which contributes to high oxalic levels (dr. says result of antibiotics). SO, i am trying to digest, research all this, much of beyond my scope of understanding.
we are adding more supplements, in addition to those she already started (probiotic, omega 3, multivitamin), as well as short course antifungal and carnitine prescriptions.
and the really big news: we are starting a 6 week elimination diet on monday. oh boy. i think this is going to be a big challenge for our family. so i am also researching this like crazy to prepare.
we are including our older DD in this treatment (minus the prescriptions).  also, the dr. is hopeful that once we get our DD in balance, inflammation calmed down, etc., we can request to wean off seizure medication. continuing to see the chiropractor regularly. *whew*

i really wonder what these tests would say about my own heavy metal levels, imbalances, etc. maybe someday everyone in our family can be tested. our running total for medical expenses (since 1st seizure in feb.) is close to $28,000. we are looking into personal injury/vaccine lawyer.

also interesting to note: the 3rd dose of vaccine she received, just before the 1st seizure was not pentacel (as were her 1st 2 doses), but pediarix, which is DTap, Hep B, Polio. the pentacel is DTap, Hib, Polio. the pediarix contains WAY more aluminum than the pentacel, i need to look into the rest of the ingredients (my brain, ability to research is overwhelmed). i do not recall ever being told that they were switching out one vax for the other. i have a copy of the waiver i signed, the name of the vax was handwritten in, don't know if it was written before or after i signed. it is not super legible either. ugh.
Wow, that's terrifying. I can't believe how costly it's been, financially, either! I'm glad you're getting some answers ow, so you can figure out how to treat this. Good luck! Thanks for updating!

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#35 of 37 Old 06-15-2013, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

update:

WOW....so sorry to hear... do you attribute you dd's issues solely to her vaccines?  Have you written any kind of blog about  your experience?

#36 of 37 Old 06-15-2013, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Well at least you have somewhere to go from here, and things can only get better by eliminating those chemicals, poor baby!  Have they talked about chelation for the heavy metals?  I know in ND circles it's common treatment for kids on the spectrum and from what I've read it can be very effective as well as the dietary change.  On the off chance of sparing you the full elimination diet - can your doc do testing for specific food sensitivities?  I know with my ND she tested DD at 9mos by having her sit on my lap and I was a chanel for the reaction.  DD held the little glasss vial while I held my arm outstretched and locked - doc would put pressure with one finger and if my arm held, that particular food was not an issue.  If my arm dropped, the food was a problem.  She did the same to test for the specific vaxes that DD reacted to to treat them with specific homeopathic remedies.  Very similar to the technique acupuncturists use to determine blocked energy pathways.  Sounds very hippy-voodoo (that's the term my crunchy chiro used to describe it!) BUT the woman I went to has double checked her results with blood tests and it's never been wrong.  So just food for thought.  Did they at least give you a system for elimination by cutting out the major most common offenders, aka dairy and gluten?  Glad to hear you got answers and you can at least move forward and I'll be sending positive vibes that all goes well and you can wean her from the ep meds!

Also on a side note, don't know where you ended up going, but our ND even tests each supplement to be sure the person taking it will get the best one for their body - out of a possible like 10 probiotics, DD only reacted favorably to one! Keep the updates coming!

#37 of 37 Old 01-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey Summersmama. How are things going for your family now? Hope your DD's seizures have lessened or perhaps are gone? How did the diet work for you? Just checking in.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page