Vaccine Shedding - Should I Be Worried? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This weekend DH, LO, and I are going to visit DH's aunt, uncle, and their 4 month old daughter who just had her second round of shots last Thursday (February 28) .I'm wondering if I need to be concerned at all about shedding? My LO is 19 months, non-vaxxed, and still breastfeeds. 

These are the shots she would have gotten according to the Canadian schedule:

1) Diphtheria, tetanus, acellular pertussis and inactivated polio virus vaccine (DTaP-IPV)

2) Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate vaccine (Hib)

3) Hepatitis B vaccine (HB)

4) Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine - 7-valent (Pneu-C-7)

5) Meningococcal C conjugate vaccine (Men-C)

Thanks ladies!

Cecillia | 22 | Love Jesus | Happily Married | WTT #2: 2015

Breastfeeding, Babywearing, Gentle Parenting crunchy momma to an unvaxxed intact sweet boy.

novaxnocirc.gif goorganic.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 03-08-2013, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I would be, esp the dtap...pertussis portion sheds

#3 of 12 Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

I wouldn't be.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
#4 of 12 Old 03-08-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Do you know how long that part of the shot spreads for?

Mirzam - why wouldn't you be concerned? If you don't mind me asking :)

Breastfeeding, Babywearing, Gentle Parenting crunchy momma to an unvaxxed intact sweet boy.

#5 of 12 Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCee View Post

Mirzam - why wouldn't you be concerned? If you don't mind me asking :)

Short answer: I trust the intact immune system of an unvaxed, healthy, happy (nursing) child.

I also believe the chances of said healthy, happy child of catching pertussis from a child recently vaccinated with acellular pertussis vaccine is very slim. You are more likely to encounter pertussis within the adult population who have been vaccinated and have no real immunity to the disease and that could happen anywhere out in public.

I also believe there is more to getting sick than being exposed to a bacteria or virus, there is an energetic component that few take into consideration. We are not biological machines. JMO.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
#6 of 12 Old 03-08-2013, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)

I might avoid a person who was recently vaxxed (depends on which vaccine) if I were pregnant, with a newborn, or immunocompromised in some way - but otherwise, I would not sweat it. 

ETA:  I was not aware pertussis sheds.  A quick google search is not giving me anything useful.  Any links showing pertussis sheds?

A list of vaccines that shed from inside vaccine

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/2008/02/24/secondary-transmission-%EF%BB%BFthe-short-and-sweet-about-live-virus-vaccine-shedding/

Another article on shedding, with some practical advice if you are worried:

http://www.vaccineriskawareness.com/Vaccine-Shedding

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#7 of 12 Old 03-08-2013, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
This weekend DH, LO, and I are going to visit DH's aunt, uncle, and their 4 month old daughter who just had her second round of shots last Thursday (February 28) .I'm wondering if I need to be concerned at all about shedding? My LO is 19 months, non-vaxxed, and still breastfeeds. 

my personal concern never has been the shedding but the exposure - as in that person has just been where there are lots of sick people and if they just got something it takes a few days for them to show signs and that concerns me much more

I know one child and their b-day is a week prior to Thanksgiving (US time) and they go right on or near their b-day to the Dr - 5 years in a row this child's b-day party was postponed/delayed (held always after Thanksgiving on that weekend Sat) because he was sick. Each visit was a vac visit- in some people's minds no connection - mine, connection. Like clock work, 5 days later other family members are sick too.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#8 of 12 Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

I would be, esp the dtap...pertussis portion sheds

Since the Dtap is not a live virus vaccine it does not shed. If you have evidence to the contrary I would love to see it and file it away!!

To OP - I wouldn't worry at all! 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#9 of 12 Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

We've decided to still go visit DH's family. Thanks a bunch for all the advice ladies! :-)

#10 of 12 Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

None of those vaccines shed.  Only live virus vaccines have the potential to shed.

From the package inserts, it appears that this is the order, from most contagious to least contagious.

1) rotavirus http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM142288.pdf

2) FluMist nasal spray flu vaccine http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM294307.pdf

3) chickenpox http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM142813.pdf

4) MMR http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM123789.pdf

Something that I've found very freeing from choosing to not vaccinate, breastfeeding until age 2, and avoidance of mainstream medicine whenever possible, is that for the most part, I trust my children's immune systems to handle things that they are exposed to. So I do not worry about being exposed to shedding vaccines. And it would be impossible to completely avoid it, as most children are vaccinated.

#11 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I  will throw smallpox into the list of vaxxes that shed. Although you are not likely to come into contact with someone recently vaxxed, if you have close family members in the military it is something to be aware of.

#12 of 12 Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

eminurse, your post has been removed as it violates the guidelines of this forum. I realize you are not here and we want to welcome you as a positive and helpful member wanting to participate in beneficial and respectful discussion. But general debate of a topic goes to our Vaccination Discussions and Debate forum. Please read our rules and guidelines before posting any further.

Tags
Vaccinations

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page