Excluding sibling from school because of CP diagnosis (no symptoms) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I believe my oldest has CP, so I called the school to let them know.  I'm taking him to the dr to get it confirmed so it will go in his medical records.  Anyway, the school said that if ds is diagnosed, then our younger son will be excluded from school as well.

Is this right?  He's asymptomatic.  And, when there have been other cases at school (even in the same classroom) they haven't excluded our unvaxed kids before.

At this point, I don't know if it's policy or a state law or what.  Just wanted to check in here before I do some research. (I'm in Indiana if that matters.)

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#2 of 7 Old 03-11-2013, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I don't know what the school policy is, or the legal requirements.

Here's what I know:  I never, ever discuss illness with the school unless I'm prepared to have them exclude my kids.  If I call and say that my kid might have something, they will request that I keep my kid home.  It always happens.  I also find that it's best to be unspecific - using a word that ends in virus is good for another couple days of exclusion, and sometimes requires a doctor's note to get back.  So now, if my kids were home, they were "under the weather", or had really simple things like "colds."  Until and unless we have a doctor's note saying that we had X and we don't have it anymore, our illnesses are vague, unspecific, and certainly not related to any diseases that might have featured on the news lately.

If your older child has CP, your younger child will very likely get it (not guaranteed, but likely), and if so, will be contagious while asymptomatic.  Which means that, probably, your older kid was contagious in class last week.  Which means the exclusion is pointless and god only knows what other people's asymptomatic children have been sneezing around the classroom. 

It's also possible that, since last time this came up for you, the school has been informed of a child who has an immune problem, and is trying to be protective.  If that's the case, they're definitely doing the right thing by excluding your exposed by asymptomatic child, but privacy law might prevent them from telling you.

#3 of 7 Old 03-12-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Meepy - I know, I'm kicking myself for being honest about it!  I really wish I would have just said he was feverish.  I did talk with our dr, who didn't feel like my other kids should be excluded from school until which point they exhibit symptoms.  But, the nurse said she has her own guidelines she needs to follow.  So, she's calling the Health Department for further instruction.  Apparently, she may not need to exclude as long as it remains "an isolated event".  So, I'm going to keep sending my younger son until/if the nurse tells me to keep him home.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#4 of 7 Old 04-05-2013, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eminurse View Post

The problem here is 1) if there is a child with a compromised immune system, CP could KILL them 2) CP can KILL anyone. Do you people not read anything?? If I knew your child had CP and you still sent them to school, and you killed/hurt my child, I would take legal, and probably illegal action

Yes we read lots of things and research tirelessly. Clearly you don't read the forum guidelines before you post offensive crap. 

Lazurii likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 7 Old 04-05-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminurse View Post

The problem here is 1) if there is a child with a compromised immune system, CP could KILL them 2) CP can KILL anyone. Do you people not read anything?? If I knew your child had CP and you still sent them to school, and you killed/hurt my child, I would take legal, and probably illegal action

You mean, you're worried that your vaccinated child might get CP from and unvaccinated child??? Hmmm, that shows a lot of confidence in vaccinations, doesn't it?

You talk in other posts about people doing research, and clearly, you have done NONE. Just repeating the same old rhetoric and fear based mongering that has been shoved down our throats for decades. Please. We've heard it all, and we're past all that.

I have enjoyed reading your ridiculous posts this morning, but ya, you're starting to get annoying. No one here really cares what you have to say, so don't waste your time. Smarter people have tried (and failed) in the past.

BeckyBird and Lazurii like this.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#6 of 7 Old 04-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

eminurse has lost her posting privileges here.

Marnica, please ignore trollish behavior as if it doesn't even exist in the discussion

#7 of 7 Old 04-05-2013, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

eminurse has lost her posting privileges here.

Marnica, please ignore trollish behavior as if it doesn't even exist in the discussion

Thats good advice - but I couldn't know she was a troll. Perhaps just a vax happy nurse who hadn't read the forum guidelines - that's what I was thinking. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page