Are these indications for not vaccinating? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I have a four month old that to this point has no vax and we are considering keeping it that way.

- she was 7 weeks early, so though we have only fed breastmilk, she had TPN for some days and a few days of antibiotics, and I know IVs contain aluminum and the antibiotics might have some effect

- DH got a dtap before her birth, and felt sick for a few days

- Both DH and I have hashimoto's, I also have optic neuritis 

- I had a reaction to typhoid vax, large swelling, fever, etc, but no reaction to all the other ones besides arm soreness

I was looking up the rate of reactions to one I was familiar with (typhoid, bc I remember how sick I was).  I was given typhoid vax by the government and the nurse also handed you a couple tylenol, saying "this might make you sick". the reported reaction rate though (fever) is 1%!  so, that makes me think that the reported adverse effects are useless, for this and possibly all other vaxs...

So, do these items point to not vaxxing, in your opinions, based upon these items (I have the myriad of reasons that apply to all humans but wonder if these are additional legit reasons)?  Finally, what about the threat of quarantine (your husband wont be able to go to work! how will you buy groceries for your children? - found on a california gov web page) .... have you or anyone you've known ever had this happen?

#2 of 6 Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
  Finally, what about the threat of quarantine (your husband wont be able to go to work! how will you buy groceries for your children? - found on a california gov web page) .... have you or anyone you've known ever had this happen?

Uh, no never been threatened with quarantine. I am okay with the idea, if I am actually infected with an easily spread disease, but I think it is *very* rare for that to happen.

The outbreaks that occur in children are *not* things the government quarantine's for and my kids have never had a vax-available disease anyhow. They are 12 and under.

#3 of 6 Old 03-14-2013, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Here is a poll I ran a few months back. No scientific study, but I think it is useful since we have a pretty large group of non-vaxxers in this community. Almost half answered that their children had never had a vax-available disease.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1363947/poll-vpds-in-the-non-vaxxing-community-answer-questions-in-14-if-you-check-varicella

#4 of 6 Old 03-14-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Uh, no never been threatened with quarantine. I am okay with the idea, if I am actually infected with an easily spread disease, but I think it is *very* rare for that to happen.

The outbreaks that occur in children are *not* things the government quarantine's for and my kids have never had a vax-available disease anyhow. They are 12 and under.

I wonder how many people are terrified into vaccination bc of that "helpful pamphlet"... bc you are right, now that I think of it, its bird flu, or tuberculosis... 

#5 of 6 Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think the answer to your question will depend largely on where you post it. Since this is the No vax forum, you are likely to get an answer that it is best to err on the side of caution given your past reaction to a vaccine to hold off or not do any.

Post the same question in the debate forum and all the people that vaccinate will tell you it's perfectly all right and to go right ahead. Really it needs to come down to your own research and what you are comfortable with because at the end of the day it doesn't really matter what anybody else thinks. This is your child. 

As for the rate of reactions being far less than reported - yes that is very true. only 1-10% of reactions are ever "officially" reported. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 6 Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

As for the rate of reactions being far less than reported - yes that is very true. only 1-10% of reactions are ever "officially" reported. 

yeahthat.gif

Most people don't even know they can, or should, report reactions.  If you're lucky enough to have a doc who tells you what reactions to watch for they often downplay it anyways.  'Oh, you might see a rash or mild fever - but that's normal'.  Just because it's 'normal' doesn't make it good.  So if no is told to report these things under the impression that they aren't important then for all we know the true rates for some of these things, say fever, could be in excess of 90%.  We just don't know.  I make it a point to tell all my vaxing friends about the VAERS reporting site and that if they want to vax, that is their choice but if they want to be sure the vaccines are safe they have to report every single side effect, regardless how trivial it may seem in order for changes to be made.  We stopped vaxing at 5mos bc of bad reactions for DD and you bet I reported them!  I may not choose to vax my kid but I'm more than willing to support making them safer for those who do chose them.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page