Comfort measures for CP for a 6mo baby - Mothering Forums
I'm Not Vaccinating > Comfort measures for CP for a 6mo baby
peilover010202's Avatar peilover010202 08:37 AM 03-25-2013

My older 3 kiddos have developed CP, so I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before my baby (6mo) develops them as well.  She is breastfeeding, so I'm really hoping that lends to a mild case for her.  Is there anything else I can do?  I did pump and freeze lots of early breastmilk, would that be beneficial to give her?  I usually don't bottle feed, but thought if it would be worth it, I could try syringe feeding her that milk.  I had read that it has higher amounts of IGA that help fight the CP virus.

Mirzam's Avatar Mirzam 09:47 AM 03-25-2013

If you had chicken pox, then you will be passing antibodies on to her via your milk. Also breastmilk, throughout the nursing period, supplies the baby with stem cells. Frozen early breastmilk might be of benefit, but how much of the IGA would have been destroyed in the freezing process? I don't know the answer to that, just posing the question. If it was were me, I would carry on as normal.

MissCee's Avatar MissCee 12:43 AM 03-27-2013

I don't think there's a whole lot you could do at this point to prevent CP other than just breastfeeding and seeing if the antibodies protect LO from catching it and then making her as comfortable as possible if she does catch it.

Tags: Vaccinations
Up