"More Educated Parents Less Likely To Vaccinate and Feed Children Sugar and GMO Foods" - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ITA with Taximom5.

Quote:
I used to assume that the doctors who devoted their lives to their field knew what was best for me and my children, by reason of their education and experience.  MY experience has taught me that, in the case of far too many doctors, their pharma-directed education combined with the pharma-funded insurance industry left them unable to see past their prescription pads.

Amen.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I can see Katie8681's point on this.  Education in one field doesn't always translate to being educated.  As I posted before I have many friends who are very educated - BA, MA, PhD - some in the medical field, some not, who have never questioned a doctor before, never researched vaxes, yet they are highly educated, very well off individuals.  I know people who are far less educated (my DH barely made it through high school) who have taken a path of questioning.  Between DH and I, we're somewhere around lower middle to avg middle class.  My background was based in the conventional sciences as a pre-vet major until I changed paths from medical to behavioral, I didn't know to question until a bad experience with my animals led me down that path.  No way of knowing if they hadn't been sick if I'd have come this far.  I think regardless of education level there is a trigger that has to occur for someone to buck the system.  For many it's personal experience - vax injuries, fed up with lack of answers.  For others maybe its a talk with a friend who doesn't vax or reading something that piques your interest an leads down the rabbit hole.  So perhaps there is some truth to the article, but it's not the whole picture.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

{Just because a person has a degree does not mean they must be making the best decisions in this case..... Dunning-Kreuger effect. You don't know what you don't know.}

I am sorry but Katies post stinks. The entire post where she says this is EXTREMELY offensive. It is aimed right at not vaxing. Why is she arguing that education isn't helping them make the best decision, followed by a Dunning-Kreuger? That means: is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes.

I take that to mean that she thinks anyone with an education that decided NOT to vax is suffering from illusory superiority since they aren't "educated" in the Right field and making the "best decisions" on this subject.irked.gif

I personally feel the point of the article was just to see who is more likely to take the non vax route simply because they parroted for years that it was all UN-educated, low class (insert whatever kind of insult they wished to say here) who almost had no choice-who went down this no vax path. 

*Seeing it was actually people who were educated making the decision on PURPOSE is more of the point I believe.*

S

ds-13

dd-8

dd-2

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

Old 04-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

As I stated earlier in the thread, debating this topic here is not appropriate. While it might be a topic that can be debated amongst INV members if it is done in the interest of the support nature of this forum but that's not what appears to be happening here.

Katie8681, please check your PM for a warning from me in this regard. 

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List