My religious exemption request got bounced in NY -- please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-05-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Really could use some help here from parents who've written successful religious exemption request letters.

I'm in NY, wrote my letter for my unvaxed son to start kindergarten, got it notarized. Was told by several parents who'd gone down this road that my letter looked really good, covered all the points, etc.

Got bounced. The rejection reads:

Please resubmit your request for religious waiver. Per NYS guidelines reason must be religious not personal. You do NOT need to state a religion but the belief that prevents immunization. (Specific reasons.)

This baffles me because my letter looks plenty religious, does not state a religion, and does give specific reasons. Can I PM it to someone who can take a look at it and tell me what I'm missing? I live in such a progressive little town and everyone assured me it's never an issue locally. So confused.

Have always been interested in homeschooling but I DON'T want this to be the reason I end up doing it. He's so looking forward to kindergarten.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

#2 of 7 Old 04-07-2013, 04:26 PM

Hi there -

I am from Massachusetts and I have heard NY can be more difficult.  I have been searching for a video interview that I saved somewhere on my computer about defending religious exemptions.  (I will try my best to find it for you.)  In the meantime, while I was searching through my bookmarked vaccine related info, I came across this:

http://www.know-vaccines.org/?page_id=28

Although the above link is actually related to Florida, there is a part  there that MIGHT help you list some religious reasons to state and how to word it.  Hope it helps.  Check back b/c I will try to find that video / interview link. I know there is good info in it about defending a religious exemption and I am pretty sure it specifically states NY issues that have come up in the courts!   I am on a mission to find this other link for you! 

Good luck.

#3 of 7 Old 04-07-2013, 04:45 PM

I think I found the link I mentioned about the video!! 

Here it is:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/03/25/defending-vaccine-exemptions.aspx

It is a little long - about 20 minutes.  I didn't have time to preview it again.  I am pretty sure there something in there that might help you defend and word your religious exemption.  Hope it helps!

Good luck!!  :)

#4 of 7 Old 04-07-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much!

#5 of 7 Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
ny atty

If you would like to discuss obtaining an exemption from vaccines, please call 845 398 0521. If we can help you we will, thank you.
#6 of 7 Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 PM

I'm in NY and have fought a denial (pre-K).  Public school didn't give me any problem.  I'm happy to take a look at it for you... you can always contact Gary Krasner at the NY Coalition for Informed Choice as well.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#7 of 7 Old 04-14-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

PMing you, Lookingup -- thanks so much!

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page