Do you worry more about baby boys and vaccine reactions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

If you are non-vax - do you worry more for baby boys?

If you are sel/del - does gender play a role in if/when you vaccinate and which vaccines you consider?

ETA:  when I say vaccine reactions -I mean both accepted risks (febrile seizures, anaphalaxis, etc)  and things that are much harder to figure out vaccines potential role in - autism, asthma, allergies, auto-immune issues, other neurological issues.

I worry more about auto-immune issues for girls, but for everything else I think boys are more prone.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Absolutely. It was one of the first things to cross my mind when we found out that baby #3 was a boy. I mean, the neuro issues (autism rates etc.) seem to affect boys more than girls, so if we think that there is some kind of interrelation between genetic susceptibility and environmental trigger (whatever that is 2whistle.gif ) then having a son would give most people a pause...

In our family, DS has always had the less robust immune system and had more GI issues. He's also the one who has had developmental-type delays...gross and fine motor issues, speech issues. I have no doubt that vaxing him according to the schedule would not have done him any favours as he's had more to contend with than his sister from the start.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   nearly 10 years old; DS  6.5 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Have you seen this article?

Under the section "Expert Articles" - the second article listed:

Sex Differences in Immune Responses

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/vaccines/pages/Jordan2012.aspx

Check out tables 1 and 2 for a quick overview.

This thread also reminds of this study:

Gender-selective toxicity of thimerosal.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18771903

Pro rights (vaxes).
Old 04-07-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMunchkin View Post

Have you seen this article?

Under the section "Expert Articles" - the second article listed:

Sex Differences in Immune Responses

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/vaccines/pages/Jordan2012.aspx

Check out tables 1 and 2 for a quick overview.

This thread also reminds of this study:

Gender-selective toxicity of thimerosal.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18771903

Wow - thank you!  I know you have other things to do - but you always add such great content to discussions that I wish you posted more often.

The first study is quite long, and I just had a chance to skim - I will comment once I can do it justice.

The second says this:

"The present study was originally undertaken to determine the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) of thimersosal in male and female CD1 mice. However, during the limited MTD studies, it became apparent that thimerosal has a differential MTD that depends on whether the mouse is male or female. At doses of 38.4-76.8mg/kg using 10% DMSO as diluent, seven of seven male mice compared to zero of seven female mice tested succumbed to thimerosal. "

Of course, they used the maximum tolerated doses -and in mice - so we cannot know if the dose used currently in vaccines (such as the flu), in the recent past, and in foreign countries  was safe and how that parses out among gender lines.  OT, but I am a little tired of what we don't know about vaccines.  The study does point to the idea that gender may come into play in tolerance to ingredients.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

I would also be more concerned about a boy than a girl also. My only vaxed child is a girl and while she did react twice to the DPT and does have mild ADD, she came through pretty much in one piece. My youngest, and my only boy, however, I am not sure would have faired as well. I sometimes think I might have dodged a bullet with him in that regard.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List