Vaccine proponents playbook - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

This was posted by a gentleman named Greg in the comments section of a AoA article. I thought it might sound familiar! You need scroll down the comments section to read. The AoA article is well worth reading also.

http://www.ageofautism.com/2013/04/weekly-wrap-big-disconnect-in-autism-coverage.html

Here are his headings: 

Argument One: We Love Scientific Studies

Argument Two: Curse The 'Quacks' And Their Internet

Argument Three: A Coincidental Thing

Argument Four: MMR and Thimerosal Studies Mean Everything

Argument Five: The Benefits Outweigh The Risks

Argument Six: Everything Causes Autism Except Vaccines

Argument Seven (my personal favorite): The Wakefield Card

Argument Eight: Autism Is Not So Bad

Argument Nine: Better Diagnosis

Argument Ten: Terminologies.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

None of that ever happens here!

I do love the Wakefield card.  Every non-vaxxers I talk to says Wakefield was instrumental in getting them to stop vaccinating (not). 

Argument 8 makes me ragey, 9 is almost as bad.

Number 1 is a fun one, too.  I love how one side has tried to co-opt science. Most non-vaxxers love science as well - if they did not they probably would not have bothered to research vaccines in the first place.  

ETA:  Thanks for posting this, Mizram.  When I first started posting on vaccines, I would become upset and hurt when people would paint with really large brushstrokes and suggest we are all conspiracy theorists, were disciples of Wakefield or did not like science.  After a while, some of these arguments lost their power.   These arguments are not nuanced responses to what is being posted, but rather pat remarks (like items from a playbook) they trot out over and over again.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List