my youngest might have chicken pox - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)

So, youngest DD (age 10) felt a little unwell last night.  She had a very low grade fever (peeked at 100.9 - and no, I do not treat it). She does not have a fever today. This morning I see what looks like a small blister on her neck…..and then I notice one on her face.  I asked her if I could see her back - there is one there, and one on her belly.  It could be bug bites (but why are they so far apart?) or some other sort of rash.  I must admit, I hope it is CP.  I will keep you updated.

Here is a funny thing, though…when I asked DD if I could see her back, she asked why, and I told her it might be chicken pox.  She giggled and I said " you are happy getting the chicken pox?"  and she said "yes, I have been waiting my whole life for chicken pox!"  Out of the mouth of babes! <grin>

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)

Do you have any idea where she might have picked it up? My DS never considered having Chicken Pox as being "sick". I am ashamed to say, I sent him to school with them the first day or two he had spots because he wasnt poorly at all, and I had no clue he has some spots on his back and tummy. This was despite the fact his sister having recently recovered from CP.

I hope she sails through, most do!

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 34 Old 04-15-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

At this moment she is fine:)   I have noticed a few more spots.  

She is in Girl Guides. A girl in her troop was out with them a few weeks ago, and we gave that girl a lift somewhere a week or two before that.  I could trace the timeline - but if it turns out to be CP, that would be my bet.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 34 Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

Kathy, how "goofy" are they in your area? meaning - are you going to have to go to the Dr to document it or is your word of it going to be good enough for her "records" down the road- just wondering

and with the other girl that had it - is this something that gets reported to a health dept also?

by the way (here in our section of the US) it would be in the papers and news worthy 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#5 of 34 Old 04-15-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

Kathy, how "goofy" are they in your area? meaning - are you going to have to go to the Dr to document it or is your word of it going to be good enough for her "records" down the road- just wondering

and with the other girl that had it - is this something that gets reported to a health dept also?

by the way (here in our section of the US) it would be in the papers and news worthy 

Good questions.

Showing immunity to CP is only important if you are entering a profession that require it for school entrance.  Nursing, for example.

i just looked up paramedic requirements at a nearby college - and it said  - "proof of vaccination or titer testing."  It did not mention documented cases as a way out to fulfill CP requirements, but who knows?  

I don't know if I will report it to the health dept. (I will not report the other child) - probably not if it stays mild - but if anyone can think of a good reason I should report it, let me know.  My youngest is HSed, btw, so no school to report to.  If she does have the CP I probably will let people we have been in contact with know.  

#6 of 34 Old 04-15-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Good questions.

Showing immunity to CP is only important if you are entering a profession that require it for school entrance.  Nursing, for example.

i just looked up paramedic requirements at a nearby college - and it said  - "proof of vaccination or titer testing."  It did not mention documented cases as a way out to fulfill CP requirements, but who knows?  

I don't know if I will report it to the health dept. (I will not report the other child) - probably not if it stays mild - but if anyone can think of a good reason I should report it, let me know.  My youngest is HSed, btw, so no school to report to.  If she does have the CP I probably will let people we have been in contact with know.  

when my had (YEARSSSS ago) I called her ped and it was recorded in her file- I used the file when she went places and needed a health record, not just for school, I had to use it for camp, etc- her ped saw no need for her to come in ROTFLMAO.gifthis was a different TIME!! also our health dept didn't care way back but now they go crazy over it!!  I am so sick of the "scared" society!!!

hope things go well (and that means- I hope she has them!!) - from your writing, I trust you can "handle it" well

I have this card - you turn the wheel for what disease you were sending it for-CP being just ONE of them! Funny-Hallmark doesn't make this anymore??

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#7 of 34 Old 04-15-2013, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

I can think of a very good reason to report it, if your child is in ANY kind of community group, school, performance group, play group, or in any regular contact with others.

You have no way of knowing if anyone she is in regular contact with has a family member undergoing chemo, or taking steroid medication, or who may have a compromised immune system.  THEY need to know that there may have been a chicken pox exposure. The rest of us presumably have well-functioning immune systems, and would be happy to be re-exposed to chicken pox to bolster our immune system's response against herpes zoster, but such an exposure may prove deadly to someone else.

Sorry.hug2.gif

#8 of 34 Old 04-15-2013, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I don't see how reporting it would have any impact on those with compromised systems.  Perhaps knowing ahead of time to avoid the person, yes, but after the fact?  They've likely come across hundreds, if not thousands of other diseases, bacteria, and viruses for which there was no reporting.

#9 of 34 Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

17 spots this evening - mostly on the torso and neck.  A couple on the face.  She is perfectly well.  It still might be too soon to call it, but I will see tomorrow.  

#10 of 34 Old 04-15-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

I don't see how reporting it would have any impact on those with compromised systems.  Perhaps knowing ahead of time to avoid the person, yes, but after the fact?  They've likely come across hundreds, if not thousands of other diseases, bacteria, and viruses for which there was no reporting.

Reporting it could have an enormous impact on those with compromised systems. Chicken pox has an incubation period of up to 3 weeks.  An oncologist might very well change or delay treatment based on a known exposure to chicken pox, particularly if the patient is someone who never had chicken pox--like a child.

#11 of 34 Old 04-15-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Reporting it could have an enormous impact on those with compromised systems. Chicken pox has an incubation period of up to 3 weeks.  An oncologist might very well change or delay treatment based on a known exposure to chicken pox, particularly if the patient is someone who never had chicken pox--like a child.

yes and especially aspirin! and or ibuprofen exposure 

&

#12 of 34 Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well, if she does have it, which I should know for certain by tomorrow or the next day, I will call the health unit.  I am not sure what they will do with the info, but it might add to data if there is an outbreak. 

#13 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 07:44 AM

how does your "spotty" look today?

&

#14 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I didn't go to the doc when my kids got them, but I did tell him afterwards. Not sure what he did with the info, but I think he wrote it in their file.

Non-vaxing, vegetarian, green lovin' mama to two little divas.
#15 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

how does your "spotty" look today?

I counted 34 this morning - she says there are about 15 in places on her chest and groin area - so 50 ish.  

She does not look very spotty to me, and is in perfect health. 

I am leaning towards CP, but I still do not know for sure.  

#16 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 11:39 AM

There are many illnesses that cause spotty rashes.  :(

Some of them might be very serious, like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (don't know if you're anywhere where she could have picked that up).  Lots of overlap on the rash disease symptoms, too.  The "common" childhood rash illnesses, measles, German Measles, CP, etc, are not usually terribly serious, as we keep telling the Vax Defenders, but seomeone else exposed to them COULD have complications if that person has underlying medical issues. There's also molluscum http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/molluscum-contagium, which is very contagious via shared towels, etc.

Are her spots itchy?

#17 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Her spots do not seem very itchy -she says they are, but I have not caught her scratching very often.  It is hard to know what to think.

They started on the neck and upper torso. They still seem pretty confined to neck, face, head and torso at this point - and they are not on her limbs (although one or two dots might be pocks on her upper shoulders).

I took a look at rubella, and the spots seem to fine for rubella.

She is going to a friends tomorrow and the friend has not had the CP (the mom is excited to be able to expose her sons)  - so I might get my answer if they are chicken pocks if the boys develop them in 2-3 weeks!

Alternately, I would not be surprised if she titre tested at one point, and that may answer as well.

For now she is fine and trying to use it as an excuse to sit on the couch and get out of anything she does not want to do, lol.

#18 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What about Fifth's Disease? This is what my DD had when I thought (and hoped!) she had CP. Seems to present similarily.
#19 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

She is going to a friends tomorrow and the friend has not had the CP (the mom is excited to be able to expose her sons)  - so I might get my answer if they are chicken pocks if the boys develop them in 2-3 weeks!

That doesn't prove she has chicken pox unless the boys are officially diagnosed with chicken pox.  That would only prove that she passed on a virus with rash.

#20 of 34 Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

If my daughters case is mild, then it might be hard for me to diagnose.  If the boys get a worse case, it might be easier to tell. If the boys come down with a definitive case of CP, they will have gotten it from my DD, so that will be proof enough for me.  Of course they could come down with a wishy-washy case or not come down at all - and then we are back at square one.

Ah, well, it does not really matter -as I said earlier, I am sure she will have titres drawn at one point.  They can look for signs of immunity, then.  At the end of the day, I don't need to know that it is chicken pox so badly that I make a doctors visit for a perfectly well child.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks, it is not rubella (rubella looks too fine) or fifths -she does not have the slapped cheek look.  I am still heading towards CP, it does look more like that than any other images I have looked at.  She is still getting new spots.  

ETA:  more spots this Wednesday morning - about 15 on her face alone, and in varying states - some red sores, some minor blisters, some little more than red dots.  She is well, and not too itchy.  

#21 of 34 Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)

Sound's like you have chicken pox in the house!

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#22 of 34 Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 AM

good to remember, not everyone gets itchy!!! you can still have them without the full on itch factor, if your others get it one might itch and the other not!

&

#23 of 34 Old 04-17-2013, 12:23 PM

Hi, I'm new to this board.  I found it because my children (not vaccinated) were sent home because there was one child in their school who was vaccinated and came down with it.  I now have to keep them home for two weeks and was hoping to find someone with CP so I can expose them to it.

I keep reading how the vaccine doesn't help with shingles later on in life and I would love for them to have true immunity.  If anyone is in NE PA, I would love to know and maybe we can have a play date.  We life on a farm with a bunch of wonderful animals and fun things for kids so I would be glad to make my home available.

#24 of 34 Old 04-17-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaorganicmomm View Post

Hi, I'm new to this board.  I found it because my children (not vaccinated) were sent home because there was one child in their school who was vaccinated and came down with it.  I now have to keep them home for two weeks and was hoping to find someone with CP so I can expose them to it.

I keep reading how the vaccine doesn't help with shingles later on in life and I would love for them to have true immunity.  If anyone is in NE PA, I would love to know and maybe we can have a play date.  We life on a farm with a bunch of wonderful animals and fun things for kids so I would be glad to make my home available.

sorry I can't help you - (also in PA- we had to go to Vt to expose ours) - you should show this to your school - it can take up to 21 days! - 14 really means very little

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CE0QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.portal.state.pa.us%2Fportal%2Fserver.pt%3Fopen%3D18%26objID%3D1092306%26mode%3D2&ei=vwtvUcS6COfi4AP2qoD4DQ&usg=AFQjCNFe8g9ixyuDfYJxdM7pqlvU0bNyZw&bvm=bv.45368065,d.dmg

&

#25 of 34 Old 04-18-2013, 07:08 AM

Thank you for the info.  Unfortunately, I really feel a bit bad that they have to be home, despite being resolute in my decision.  I really think it would be best for them if they could get the natural immunity and I'm hoping this child was in their class.

The reason they are not keeping them home longer is that the child who contracted CP is already better so they are probably starting their count based upon the parent's admission of when he contracted it (I'm thinking the day he got the vax).

Anyway, if you do hear of anyone in PA, please keep me in mind.  I have four under 6 and would love for all of them to get it.

#26 of 34 Old 04-18-2013, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Did the public health department come to the school and declare an outbreak of CP based on 1 case??

If they didn't I don't believe the school has any legal right to exclude your child. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#27 of 34 Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 PM

No, not from what I know and the letter sent home stated that PA RECOMMENDS that children be kept home and not exposed. So, I called the school this morning and said, the letter says recommends, does that mean I can send my children and they said, well, actually we are requiring that they remain home. Since I didn't want to cause a stink, I accepted the answer, appreciated the fact that my children can be in school and not be persecuted too much and have just decided to now try to get them the chicken pox naturally.

If you hear of anyone who does have it, please keep me in mind.  I have four children 6 and under which I would give anything to get exposed!

#28 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Did the public health department come to the school and declare an outbreak of CP based on 1 case??

If they didn't I don't believe the school has any legal right to exclude your child. 

this is my understading as well and I am in PA

Quote:

No, not from what I know and the letter sent home stated that PA RECOMMENDS that children be kept home and not exposed. So, I called the school this morning and said, the letter says recommends, does that mean I can send my children and they said, well, actually we are requiring that they remain home. Since I didn't want to cause a stink, I accepted the answer, appreciated the fact that my children can be in school and not be persecuted too much and have just decided to now try to get them the chicken pox naturally.

If you hear of anyone who does have it, please keep me in mind.  I have four children 6 and under which I would give anything to get exposed!

this is public?  if so I would contact the state office on the dept of health and file a complaint - no way is one child a threat to your child and there is no "epidemic" going on - a recommendation is one thing, restricting your children is far another!! The should be in school. 

&

#29 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 06:52 AM

So I have a call into the immunization nurse at the Dept. of Public Health due to your recommendation.

The letter was drafted on school letterhead by the school nurse.  I don't believe it was determined by the public health department unless they empower her and her decision makes it the determination of the public health department.

From my understanding it was left up to the school nurse who said I should reconsider vaccinating my children because they could "die" from the chicken pox.  I nicely responded that the very very low rate of death compared to the thought of chronic illness, which has not yet been identified why or how it could be connected to vaccines, is not something that can easily be overlooked.

Nonetheless, I will probably consider vaccinating if they don't get it by 10 or 11 but for now I would love for them to get natural immunity because this vax has human DNA and cow protein in it, both of which I find morally confusing.

#30 of 34 Old 04-19-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:

So I have a call into the immunization nurse at the Dept. of Public Health due to your recommendation.

The letter was drafted on school letterhead by the school nurse.  I don't believe it was determined by the public health department unless they empower her and her decision makes it the determination of the public health department.

From my understanding it was left up to the school nurse who said I should reconsider vaccinating my children because they could "die" from the chicken pox.  I nicely responded that the very very low rate of death compared to the thought of chronic illness, which has not yet been identified why or how it could be connected to vaccines, is not something that can easily be overlooked. PLEASE do not get into to it with the nurse!!! We in PA have a religious and medial - so I assume yours is religious and YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE ASKED THIS!!! Do not volunteer info or anything, you have rights and they must be respected! You say "I have a religious objection and you do not have the right to QUESTION my beliefs." period-end of conversation!!! They can not bully you, so don't give them the "in" to do so!!! 

Nonetheless, I will probably consider vaccinating if they don't get it by 10 or 11 but for now I would love for them to get natural immunity because this vax has human DNA and cow protein in it, both of which I find morally confusing.

others here can help and read back over old thread on exemptions!! good luck

&

Tags
Vaccinations

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page