Colic in infants may be early sign of migraine headache - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/16/colic-migraine-infants/2086121/

What do most non vaxing moms think about this?

True, not true?

True -because they are experiencing Vax reactions that is brain swelling?

Early IBS symtoms?

Allergys?

Something else?

Is the study to full of holes?

I still wonder how many non vaxed kids have colic and migraine headaches? shrug.gif

Then again, I wonder about all the above, what percentage of Non-vax kids have:

allergies, headaches, etc and so on.

"We've assumed for some time that colic was a gastrointestinal phenomenon, but in fact, that may not necessarily be true," says Charles. "That's one of the things that may surprise people about this study. It points out the possibility that this may be more of a brain issue than a gut issue."

Brain chemicals that are also shared by the gastrointestinal tract may be involved, but the actual mechanism at work "remains quite a mystery," he says.

S

ds-13

dd-8

dd-2

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#2 of 8 Old 04-18-2013, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's interesting to consider all of the things you have mentioned. I personally think colic is unrelated to vaccine. Im not sure what to think of it in relation to migraines.

My unvaxed DS has allergies. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 8 Old 04-18-2013, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't read the study, yet , but my initial reaction is .....

joy.gif. joy.gif. joy.gif. joy.gif. joy.gif. joy.gif. joy.gif. joy.gif. joy.gif. joy.gif. joy.gif. joy.gif.

I've been saying for 17 years that colic can be migraines!!!!!!!!!!!!
#4 of 8 Old 04-18-2013, 12:48 PM

It's no mystery to me!

For my son, sugar, artifical flavors, colors, sweeteners, other chemicals in food cause his migraines. Eliminating those from my diet when he was breastfeeding stopped his colic!

I have hope that researchers will eventually make the connection. All those poor babies, screaming in pain! It breaks my heart!

Edited to add : I didn't know it was migraines causing the colic initially. I did make the connection with the foods and chemicals, and stopped the colic. Over the years, I allowed my son to experiment, and eat foods containing those items. It was when he was nearly 14 that it was positively identified as migraines from those items. Still, I strongly recommend looking at the connection between contaminants in food, air or water, and colicy migraines. The same is true of behavior problems. Anyone who is prone to migraines knows that period of irritability that can preceed a migraine.
#5 of 8 Old 04-18-2013, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Interesting.  I know there's a food connection to my migraines, although it's primarily the lack of, aka low blood sugar, that triggers mine.  I believe as a baby I was pretty fussy, drove my mother to crying with me, so maybe it started way back then.  My mother also had migraines and I suppose time will tell for my DD.  She's only 17mos old, partialy vaxxed (stopped at 5mos) and has been tested by an ND and doesn't tolerate dairy or oats.  Once I eliminated the dairy her colic disappeared, and the oat issue was triggered by her last set of vaxxes.  I don't do much in the way of preservatives, food coloring, and avoid nitrates so I have no idea if those would bother her.  I do get migraines from MSG and sulfites though. 

#6 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It is interesting to me as my sister in law with baby who has seemed to have colic since birth... but then again it only started after her first vax.....

I don't think that only vaxes can cause things like this of course.... I still just have so many questions.

I wonder though if they might accelerate a problem already there sometimes too.

I never had migraines until my mom got me vaxed as a teenager and it took 10 years for them to go away. (that is another long story) One reason why when I saw this-it gave me pause.

Most people in my family have horrible migraines and my unvaxed kids don't. (I realize that as a family we don't eat SAD so there could be things that would trigger it as well and in no way is  conclusive evidence)

I guess I wonder if a child is already prone to get migraines from birth from certain foods.... why couldn't certain things in a vax cause the same reaction. If those adjuvents don't go away quickly or end up sticking around, could they cause them long term (such as my case)

Could colic be a good indicator of a child who will have problems with vax reactions....?

I do think that helping mom figure out if it is foods etc they are eating that is causing the migraines etc. I really wish this.... esp instead of the just have them take something for their tummy, its normal don't worry about it speeches.

Ok, rambling done...smile.gif

S

DS-14

DS-14      

DD-9

DD-3

"Those who are afraid retreat.
Those who are brave grow greater.
Never fear, always grow."

Sun Tzu

#7 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 11:36 AM

I HATED the "it's normal" speeches!!!!

I don't know if my son got the hep-b vax at birth. I know his father signed for something right after delivery, but I wasn't paying complete attention. I do know that after he recovered from jaundice there was a week or so of peace, then I started craving sugar and he started screaming at night.

Migraines run in my family. It seems to me that one would have to delay vaxes to see what percentage of babies have colic without vaccination. An interesting study!
#8 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 12:37 PM

My fully vaxxed DD1 had colic and does not have migraines
Fully vaxxed DD2 had no colic and does have migraines
Unvaxxed DS had no colic, we'll see about migraines- I hope not!

It's interesting so see some making the connection. I was apparently colicky, and i have always suffered from migraines.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page