I need insight from people smarter than me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am very confident in my decision not to vax my son (3) and don't plan to vax the one on the way. My son is vibrant and healthy. I know were he to contract a so called VPD he would fight it off and be stronger for it.

But there is one thing that is always in the back of my mind: my husband. He has asthma and last year ended up with pneumonia from a virus that both my son and I fought off easily. It seems like people who have complications from VPDs always have an underlying illness. That is what makes me concerned. And yet, I just will not vax my son...

I need some info to make me feel more at ease about this. I confess while I am no ignoramus I am also not scientifically minded. Things need to be very simply explained for me to fully comprehend it. I have a hard time learning by reading and do better with practical ways of learning, but we can't really do that over the Internet! LOL

Any insight will help. Thanks!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#2 of 22 Old 04-29-2013, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

i think vaccines CAUSED my son's health problems...my other unvaxed kids have NO issues...my oldest, at 25, is one of the most unhealthy people i know..he catches anything at the drop of a hat.  My youngest outgrew his asthma at age ten...and even tho theres a pneumonia shot out there, theres no guarantee it will cover the strain a family member comes down with, esp if it starts as a cold and develops like that.  Bacterial infections are more prone in asthmatics, myself included.  The trick is being proactive in ones health, and staving off allergens which aggravate asthma symptoms. 

#3 of 22 Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm subscribing to this. I don't think I'll be vaccinating my next child, but my confidence has been shaken since several weeks ago my son was on a "watch" as he came into indirect contact with some unvaccinated siblings who were hospitalized with measles. What I was told is that the danger isn't that our own kids will be unable to fight the disease off, it's that they're highly contagious (at least measles is) and can be spread without symptoms and if spread to the wrong people, can pose serious dangers. None of the vaccinated children got it and the way it was explained to me was that it's precisely healthy people who should get vaccinated so they don't become carriers and spread diseases to people who cannot be vaccinated. 

#4 of 22 Old 04-29-2013, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Idk I kinda thought vaxed ppl can still be carriers...

It's real important to remember that vaxes can cause asthma! Something else to consider is does ur DH have metal in dental work? Cuz that will also severely impair ur immune system.
Just a thought

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#5 of 22 Old 04-29-2013, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

As far as I see it - Life is 100% risk! The only thing that is guaranteed is that we will all die in the end. Catching a VPD or not all depends on being at the wrong place at the wrong time. The outcome and the effects of any illness depends on your own health. And NO we cannot protect everybody and everything by simply vaccinating. No vaccine is 100% effective and you might still contract or spread a VPD (shedding the live virus vaccine eg. measles) to other people. Plus there is tons of other bacteria, viruses etc. out there that can kill, cause longterm health issues and cannot be vaccinated against and still be easily spread (eg. Coxsackie).

To not vaccinate or to vaccinate as well is a tough decision and I believe there is no standard answer. Some state they regret not having vaccinated others will regret that they did indeed have their kids vaccinated. You have to feel comfortable with your decision. We decided not to vaccinate based on research, vaccine damage within our own family, talking to other parents, and so on. Every day I ask myself whether I am doing the right thing or not and as of yet I have always come to the same conclusion. Yes, I it is the right choice for us at this moment. When I get uneasy I start researching again. So there is no one way but many roads and at each crossing you have to decide again.

Marnica likes this.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#6 of 22 Old 04-29-2013, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)

What I am reading is that you are worried your child will cathc a VAD and pass it on to your husband, correct?

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#7 of 22 Old 04-29-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, that is it. My husband was fully vaxed as a child. being on the debate board has shaken my resolve a little. Especially the whole measles thing and the guy who died. Just being honest about my fears and need help because I know I am doing the right thing.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#8 of 22 Old 04-29-2013, 04:58 PM

When reading stories or researching, it's important to remember to think about the issue rationally, rather than emotionally.  Things are more in perspective when thought about using a rational mind, as things don't seem to get as blown out of proportion in the mind.  

#9 of 22 Old 04-29-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well, that's the thing. I think I am being rational, I just need some information and I'm having trouble finding it. Asthma is mentioned a lot as a cause of complications. It's one of the things that gets left out of mainstream reports. They say "this many people died from some outbreak", but then we usually discover they had an underlying condition. So I feel like it's rational to be concerned, I just need more info and support. Sorry if I sound defensive but saying it's just emotions makes me feel a little invalidated and doesn't really get me any closer to where I want to be with this...

joy.gif

#10 of 22 Old 04-29-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

Well, that's the thing. I think I am being rational, I just need some information and I'm having trouble finding it. Asthma is mentioned a lot as a cause of complications. It's one of the things that gets left out of mainstream reports. They say "this many people died from some outbreak", but then we usually discover they had an underlying condition. So I feel like it's rational to be concerned, I just need more info and support. Sorry if I sound defensive but saying it's just emotions makes me feel a little invalidated and doesn't really get me any closer to where I want to be with this...

that's a good thing if you can think about it rationally...i am severely asthmatic too, and tend to get hyper vigilant when i know there's a virus going around.   I just try to keep on top of my health, keep it at optimal levels as best i can, try to think rationally and believe in my body to fight off what is making it ill.  Sometimes i do need to see an allopathic dr for secondary bacterial infections, but i've been able to stay out of the hospital for the last 11 yrs, even during the swine flu debacle, which i caught and was over it in three days, and that one really scared me.  I have also had pneumoccocal pneumonia, to which i was extremely vulnerable to catching, as my immune system was very depleted at the time, from many foot infections.  That particular pneumonia was harder for me to detect due to the backache it caused, leading me to think i pulled a muscle.   X-ray confirmed pneumococcal, and i was treated, and recovered within ten days..the weakness lasted about a month, tho.  

#11 of 22 Old 04-29-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Wow- my husband had the exact same thing happen. He thought he pulled a muscle, when actually one of his lungs was partially collapsed from pneumonia!!!
Thank your for your insight. Hearing how you handle it really does help.

joy.gif

#12 of 22 Old 04-29-2013, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

Especially the whole measles thing and the guy who died. Just being honest about my fears and need help because I know I am doing the right thing.

you also have to remember - the man that died, was in the hospitable, and came home, saw 3! MD's in an after care (I take it that is like our urgent care places) and still died, to me, that is medical neglect and regardless of a other medical condition, he had POOR care! would this happen in a health person too? it could 

poor care is poor care-IMO

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#13 of 22 Old 04-29-2013, 06:44 PM

I will say that I am reassured by keeping stats in mind.  The man who might of died of measles is very sad…but he is one man out of 60 million people in the UK.  I know this man could be your husband, your child…but the likelihood of your loved one leaving this earth in  some other way other than measles or complication form measles is astronomical.

What sort of VADs are prevalent, and thus a risk?  Flu, pertussis, chicken pox, rota.  Well, he is very likely immune to CP (90% of people who had CP will not get it again)  and rota is diarrhea related, not lung.  So that leaves flu and pertussis.

He needs to look at his own health history and location to figure out if these diseases pose a real risk to him.  Washington state had a significant pertussis outbreak - the last time I looked at the stats for Ontario, though, your chances of getting it (or being diagnosed with it) were 1/14 000.  

What does your husband think?  Speaking just for myself, I would be unlikely to want my kids to assume the risk of vaccination for my health issues (particularly if they are young and I have not explored other ways of getting healthy first).

I am not sure if you need or want tips on how to handle asthma.  I would cross post in health and healing if you are.  You might get some been there/done that.  

I would do some research (sorry - I know that takes a long time and I hope someone has some info to share - have you searched the archives here?) on if vaccines can contribute to asthma.  Asthma does run in families somewhat, so if vaccines contribute to asthma, I would skip the vaccine unless faced with a severe epidemic of a serious disease.  The risks are just too great.  I would look up in particular (and for your hubby) if there is any link between getting a flu vaccine and wheezing…a few things I have read suggest there might be, but you need to verify this. 

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#14 of 22 Old 04-29-2013, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I didn't know anything about it except for what I'm reading here, but if he was in the hospital they surely suppressed his fever which I understand is literally deadly to do, plus if he's a full grown man the measles is way worse in adults....

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#15 of 22 Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 PM

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/745883/the-flu-shot-and-high-risk-of-asthma

a link from yesteryear on asthma and vaccines...

#16 of 22 Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I will say that I am reassured by keeping stats in mind.  The man who might of died of measles is very sad…but he is one man out of 60 million people in the UK. 

when it comes to a "so-called" preventable disease we tend to view it differently vs other things we don't really have control over - if you read the UK publications they are all a thither over measles, not how many have had car accidents and died within this time frame-when we feel we can "control" we view it and tend to forget stats as Kathy has said, some times we have to step aways and look at the larger issue (S) and take it into consideration 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#17 of 22 Old 04-30-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

I want to thank all of your for your insights. They REALLY helped for me to get some reality on the issue. I think what happens is we are so inundated with fear language that we (I) fail to see the whole picture. It can get confusing and overwhelming.

Anyone who says that choosing to not vaccinate is a simple decision is crazy. I had a friend who said I had, "drank the cool aide". If they only know the thought that goes into it they would stop saying such things!

joy.gif

#18 of 22 Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 AM

If you do your research, I think both decisions are just as tough. I wish I never started with this issues because you can't win either way. No "side" is better or worse than the other and it just adds more stress than necessary. If you vaccinate, you worry you may have harmed your child. If you don't, you worry you've put them or others around them in danger. I've joked to my husband before to just take my son to the doctor and not tell me what he did until 10 years from now... or that I'll just hedge my bets and vaccinate the first one but not the second... I've drank the kool-aid from both sides lol

#19 of 22 Old 04-30-2013, 09:35 AM

BeckyBird and Escaping like this.

#20 of 22 Old 05-02-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

I'm subscribing to this. I don't think I'll be vaccinating my next child, but my confidence has been shaken since several weeks ago my son was on a "watch" as he came into indirect contact with some unvaccinated siblings who were hospitalized with measles. What I was told is that the danger isn't that our own kids will be unable to fight the disease off, it's that they're highly contagious (at least measles is) and can be spread without symptoms and if spread to the wrong people, can pose serious dangers. None of the vaccinated children got it and the way it was explained to me was that it's precisely healthy people who should get vaccinated so they don't become carriers and spread diseases to people who cannot be vaccinated. 

Not compelling......I'm not going to put my children at risk and do something to them that I feel/know will harm them just to possibly at some point in the future protect others. sorry not gonna happen. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#21 of 22 Old 05-02-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Not compelling......I'm not going to put my children at risk and do something to them that I feel/know will harm them just to possibly at some point in the future protect others. sorry not gonna happen. 

I didn't say you should... I don't even know who you are?

#22 of 22 Old 05-02-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

I didn't say you should... I don't even know who you are?

I didn't say you said I should. I was responding to the sentiment that "people" should vaccinate to protect others. The social responsibility argument.....and I wouldn't expect you to know who I am. That would be kind of weird winky.gif

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page