Trying to understand... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, like everyone else (those who do and do not vaccinate..) I am just trying to do what is best for my happy, healthy, brilliant child. She is 13 months old. She has had all her shots up until this point except for her 12 month ones. That was about the time I started really digging into this debate and really trying to figure things out for myself. I am still not quite sure which side of the fence I'm going to end up on, but I'd like some more information from people who have spent far more time researching than I have.

1. I know that you can get a waiver for religious reasons & have your children attend public school without being vax'd. However, what if you choose to stop vaccinating at 9 months? Can you still use that waiver if your religious beliefs didn't stop you from initialing refusing to vaccinate?

2. How protected is my daughter with the vaccines she currently has? And what vaccinations are still required for her to get?

3. Is there a middle ground or does anyone cherry pick? Are there any vaccinations that you feel are necessary or more necessary than others?

I apologize if any of these questions seem uninformed...like I said, I am new to the whole idea of not vaccinating. I am a nursing student and come from a whole family of nurses so I've never even heard vaccinations questioned.

Thank you

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 2 Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Hi and welcome to MDC!

Laws vary by state, so start here.

In general though, you can stop vaxing at any time and claim a religious exemption, but then if you went back and did any more shots, you would lose your exemption.  Most states have registries which track shot records as well as exemptions, so you'd be flagged if you were registered as exempt and then a doctor added a shot to the central database.

It is different in the states that have philosophical exemptions.  These generally allow you to be selective.  Religious exemptions do not allow for selective vaxing.

HTH and if you check your state laws and still have questions, no doubt someone from your state will come along and help.  :)

Bring back the old MDC

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page