call to "control" what you can control? - Mothering Forums
I'm Not Vaccinating > call to "control" what you can control?
serenbat's Avatar serenbat 06:33 AM 05-02-2013

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2317767/Francesca-McNally-Heart-breaking-story-parents-baby-girl-died-whooping-cough-doctors-failed-recognise-didnt-jab.html

The couple have now set up a foundation in her honor to raise awareness about the condition and call for everyone who comes into contact with a child to be vaccinated against it.

it is tragic and so is (IMO) 4 Dr.s that could not recognize it!

kathymuggle's Avatar kathymuggle 09:40 AM 05-02-2013

greensad.gif   

It is sounding like the mom did not know she could receive the vax while pregnant.  There is no way  I would get a vax while pregnant, but some women would, and she had the right to know it was an option.

It does sound like there was some medical negligence going on - first not informing the woman of pertussis risks, and the options availible to lower them, as well as the delayed diagnosis.

Jennyanydots's Avatar Jennyanydots 10:33 AM 05-02-2013
The comments make me sick. What a bunch of hate and nastiness. greensad.gif
serenbat's Avatar serenbat 10:46 AM 05-02-2013

the child was three months old when she died and I haven't seen in any of the stories why she did not get her 2month shot - my real issues is, one, the vaccine does not totally 100% prevent it (that doesn't get a big mention in what I have read), secondly, a big BUT! 4 Dr.s don't know what they are looking at - therefor everyone must be vaccinated?? 

as I stated, I feel the family is doing what they can try and have control over vs (IMO) a medical community that should be the main focus in this - how many times have we read about misdiagnosis due to having the vac? Oh, you can't have that because you were vacced! and I fear (sadly) if you are not trained in what these diseases are you don't know what you are looking at - the man who died in Wales comes to mind, 3 Dr.s there and a discharge too

I never see stats on misdiagnosis (for vac or other disease) and what those true number are - and I know antidotal doesn't count!

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/pertussis_vaccine_campaign_fea.html

Francesca was born Feb. 24, 2012, and became ill in mid-May. Her parents said they saw four doctors who did not recognize the signs of pertussis.

kathymuggle's Avatar kathymuggle 11:32 AM 05-02-2013

Pertussis, IIRC, is rife with mis and under diagnosis.

Teens and adults get a bad cough, think it is just a bad cough, and do not realise they have pertussis which can be deadly for young infants.  They often do not make the whoop sound, so doctors (if they bother to seek help) miss it as well.

Once upon a time (and maybe still?) very few people were diagnosed with pertussis - because, yk, no one could have it.  Vaccines got rid of it (snort).

There is no excuse for any of the above.  Everyone should be aware that pertussis exists in our communities and can be dangerous for infants.  

minerva23's Avatar minerva23 03:17 PM 05-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

The comments make me sick. What a bunch of hate and nastiness. greensad.gif

Totally agree with you. I was repulsed by the comments underneath the article in the link.

japonica's Avatar japonica 08:46 PM 05-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Pertussis, IIRC, is rife with mis and under diagnosis.

Teens and adults get a bad cough, think it is just a bad cough, and do not realise they have pertussis which can be deadly for young infants.  They often do not make the whoop sound, so doctors (if they bother to seek help) miss it as well.

Once upon a time (and maybe still?) very few people were diagnosed with pertussis - because, yk, no one could have it.  Vaccines got rid of it (snort).

There is no excuse for any of the above.  Everyone should be aware that pertussis exists in our communities and can be dangerous for infants.  

I think part of the problem is also that people...GPs and the general public alike...think that once you've had the pertussis vax it's nearly impossible to either transmit the bacteria to others or to come down with an atypical cough yourself. Yet, we've all read the studies. It does occur. I've read elsewhere, numerous times, parents saying, "Well, we've all had boosters, so we're all safe." Um, no. Maybe reduced risk, sure, but that doesn't mean walking around thinking that it'll NEVER happen to you.

My DH was up-to-date on his boosters (work requirement) and he still came down with pertussis and passed it along to DS (unvaxed, 23 months old at the time). DH works in industrial environments with a lot of crap in the air, so he is always coughing for some reason or another. At that time, the cough turned out to be pertussis. Thing was, none of us clued in until DS caught it and presented with the classic whoop.

I was also up-to-date according to the 1980s schedule when I had what I strongly suspect was pertussis. Because I was UTD, my doctor refused to do a swab and said it was completely impossible to get pertussis if you'd been vaccinated, so testing would be a waste of time. He diagnosed bronchitis, even though no bronchitis I'd ever had previously lasted for over eight weeks, was unresponsive to antibiotics, and resulted in coughing so strenuous that I vomited. I've had bronchitis a number of times over my life. None have ever had the same clinical features.

I think there needs to be more awareness out there that the pertussis vaccine is not a panacea. If parents want to do it, fine. If they want all their extended family to get it, well, they can demand it, and hope for compliance. And they can vaccinate their LOs. But they shouldn't assume that they are somehow home free now because of this strategy alone. I get the deep seated, almost visceral, wanting to control all the variables...we've all heard about the new mom who says she will not allow anyone (grandparents, relatives, friends, care providers, playgroup leaders, neighbours, whoever) near the baby without a booster first. Trouble is, the studies are steadily indicating that the bacteria is also working just as furiously to adapt to these strategies and respond accordingly, whether through changing its DNA to become more virulent or to easily colonise older, previously vaccinated hosts. Unfortunately, we cannot control everything. That is an illusion, but one that Western medicine thrives upon. Add the other illusion that the atypical cough CANNOT be pertussis, and we have a problem indeed.

The old Adacel ads used to have that disclaimer in the small print at the bottom saying that they didn't know if giving boosters to all adults would prevent transmission to babies. They should have another, in equally small print, if they wish, that says something along the lines of, "Even with vaccination, there is a 'small' possibility of colonisation and transmission of pertussis bacteria and parents should be vigilant about the health of family members." But then this probably would not go over well with manufacturers, right?

Tags: Vaccinations
Up