tetanus vaccine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello! I have a 22 month old that has only received one dtap when he was 15 months old. He had a febrile seizure 7 days after his vaccine. He had never had a seizure before or after that incident. He has also not had any further vaccines. Last night he pushed over the baby gate and fell on top of it. He tore his upper lip frenulum which bled for about 10 min. His lip is bruised today. I'm really nervous about tetanus and wondering if I should be worried. I tried to clean it but he os constantly eating/drinking. Any input on the seizure and further vaccinations and also if you think I should be concerned regarding tetanus with thos injury. The vaccine he previously received was Pentacel. Thankyou!
#2 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)

I would not worry at all.

Tetanus is extremely rare - and cannot be caused by the type of injury you describe.

Type of injury that causes people to be concerned:

Punture wound, often from something outdoors, that does not bleed.   

it is more common (but still incredibly rare!) in drug users, diabetics, and the elderly.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Nope, that injury would not concern me for tetanus.

My husband had seizures as a child, which we believe were from dpt. The current dtap is supposed to be safer but I still keep hearing from parents whose kids seize after having it. 

#4 of 5 Old 05-07-2013, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

I agree with the PPs, I would not give tetanus a nanosecond of worry.

You might find this article of interest, it is very comprehensive

Why you never need a tetanus vaccine, regardless of your age or location

FWIW, my sister had a seizure following the first DPT vaccination as a three month old baby. She never had another seizure, although my mother never permitted her to have another vaccine while she was a child. 

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 5 Old 05-07-2013, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you everyone for your responses. He is doing fine today...eating like normal. Some reassurance helps tho! Interesting article mirzam!
Marnica likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page