Non vax family and public school - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are a no vax family and we have always homeschooled. However I am planning to put my kids in public school in September and suddenly I am worrying about being non vax. All the other non vax families we know are homeschoolers. Does anyone not vax AND send their kids to public (or private I guess) school? I am sure there are many out there I am just really needing reinforcement. I never thought I'd send my kids to school and I feel like all my values are under attack right now. I don't feel certain about anything.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#2 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)

I have 3 kids, 2 of them go to school and one is HSed.    

I have one unvaxxed in school and one partly vaxxed in school. 

I know 2 kids outside my family who go to school and are unvaxxed.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 PM

i've had my unvaxed kids in public schools for 20yrs now, with no problems, or exclusions due to outbreaks

#4 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Neither of my kids have had a vaccine yet and both attend a private K-12 school with an enrolment of about 950 kids. 

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#5 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 07:48 PM

Mine is not vaccinated and she attends private school that goes through 8th grade.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#6 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 09:54 PM

Both my kids are unvaccinated and attend public school. smile.gif
#7 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Ds1 was partially vaxed and then I filed an exemption.  He graduates next week!

Ds2 is completely unvaxed and it has never been an issue.

Bring back the old MDC
#8 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 5 yr old DS attended preschool unvaxed and I just enrolled him in public school for next year. No problems. 

I think problems are very school and state specific. I don't know what state you are in, but it is always a good idea to study the laws that pertain to your state to make sure you have crossed all your t's and dotted all your i's when it comes to filing your exemption. At least then if you do encounter some resistance you can be prepared in how to handle it. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#9 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

My 5 yr old DS attended preschool unvaxed and I just enrolled him in public school for next year. No problems. 

I think problems are very school and state specific. I don't know what state you are in, but it is always a good idea to study the laws that pertain to your state to make sure you have crossed all your t's and dotted all your i's when it comes to filing your exemption. At least then if you do encounter some resistance you can be prepared in how to handle it. 

Sorry I wasn't clear. I am in California and it is pretty easy here legally. I just have to sign a waiver. I just suddenly had a moment of panic thinking about my kids being exposed to so many other kids day after day. I know that vaxing is by NO means a guarantee of immunity and the I have always believed that the risks out weighed the potential benefits but now I am wavering.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#10 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

Sorry I wasn't clear. I am in California and it is pretty easy here legally. I just have to sign a waiver. I just suddenly had a moment of panic thinking about my kids being exposed to so many other kids day after day. I know that vaxing is by NO means a guarantee of immunity and the I have always believed that the risks out weighed the potential benefits but now I am wavering.

Do your children do any activities? Do they interact with other children now? I assume they do. If so they are already "exposed" to lots of things. Honestly the things that your child will most likely bring home from public school are not VAD's!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#11 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Do your children do any activities? Do they interact with other children now? I assume they do. If so they are already "exposed" to lots of things. Honestly the things that your child will most likely bring home from public school are not VAD's!

Well of course, but not 30+ kids in a stuffy classroom day after day. I am sure you are right though that I should be (and am) more concerned about the lice, pinworms, common colds, stomach bugs etc... that are much more likely to be pick up in school.

#12 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:

Well of course, but not 30+ kids in a stuffy classroom day after day. I am sure you are right though that I should be (and am) more concerned about the lice, pinworms, common colds, stomach bugs etc... that are much more likely to be pick up in school.

Ack…what can they get?  Chicken pox - some think you should be so lucky wink1.gif

Pertussis floats aropund occasionally, but your chances of not getting it are still significantly higher than getting it.  Pertussis is more an issue for infants than school aged children.  

The flu is another one.  The flu vaccine does not work very well (at all!) so the risk would be similar even if you did vax.  

I do think kids in school in general tend to come down with stuff more than HSed kids, but almost none of it is a VAD. 

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#13 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Yup. My DD's been in school since she was 4 years old (schools have a Kindy/preschool program here) and it's usually lice notices (and the odd pinworm notice) coming home. They also catch their fair share of URIs, but less so as they get older. 

There were confirmed cases of pertussis in the school back in spring 2011. There were notices up in the classrooms and letters sent home advising parents to contact their GPs for boosters/prophylactic antibiotics if they wished, but that was the extent of it. They did not ask us to keep DD home.

Oh and she did not come down with it. Exposure does not necessarily equal infection.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page