Tetanis help - pic - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 05-18-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 4yo DS climbed up a stair in an indoor play place. One of the steps had exposed metal with a little bit of rust. The metal was blunt and rounded on the edge. He banged or scraped his shin against it and now has a cut and a bruise on his shin. Just wondering what the chances are of Tetanis in a shallow wound such as this.

Im a worrier by nature, so my first inclination was to run out and get the tetanis vax. But once I thought about it, I quickly changed my mind. He has had no vaxxes at all. It's extremely difficult to find good advice in the medical community or anywhere for that matter. I sure would appreciate a few opinions.

Just for reference, Im posting the pic below.

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#2 of 23 Old 05-18-2013, 04:47 PM

I personally would not vax. I would just be sure to wash the wound very well and take all the normal precautions with cuts and bruises.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 23 Old 05-18-2013, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't be too worried about a superficial scrape like that, either. But I can totally relate to your worries!!

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#4 of 23 Old 05-18-2013, 09:31 PM

I had a freak-out about tetanus many years ago, and posted about it here... may be some helpful info in this thread?

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/420475/feeling-bad-for-wimping-out-under-pressure

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#5 of 23 Old 05-18-2013, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the link, BetsyPage. I've been torn over the tetanus vax lately, too, and looking for as much info as possible.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#6 of 23 Old 05-19-2013, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

As long as it bled, tetanus cannot survive...and I hope you reported this safety issue to the play place. I would not be worried..my unvaxed have been getting those kinds of cuts and scrapes for 25yrs now, no cases of tetanus, ever.   Just keep it clean, cover it when he goes out to play and let it air at night. 

solstices and kathymuggle like this.
#7 of 23 Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Ledum 30c is the homeopathic remedy for tetanus. You can get it at your local health food store for around $7. Just have him suck on a few pellets, better if he can hold them under his tongue while they dissolve, but that proves to be tricky for kids that age.... Also give him a couple large doses of vit c.

I always always always have Ledum on me for this exact reason. You just never know...

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#8 of 23 Old 05-19-2013, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I see enough blood there that personally it wouldn't worry me.  The ones you worry are the deep ones that don't bleed out. 

#9 of 23 Old 05-20-2013, 01:47 PM

I am pretty sure he's okay. Had the play structure been in the open air adjacent to a pig wallow, I'd be concerned. His cut bled, though, and you cleaned it. I'm frankly more concerned that a child might smash his face on the rusty metal. Make sure the people in charge know and UNDERSTAND the danger. Yikes!
#10 of 23 Old 05-20-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone who posted a response. I had decided not to vax him, but was still extremely worried until I read your responses. I have been treating it with peroxide and will continue to do so. There's also a naturopath here, so if I see anything I will bring him in.

Also for all who asked - yes we did file an accident report and the manager took our info down. Thinking back, I wish he would have immediately closed down that particular area of the play structure. There were a lot of other kids there. Makes me wonder if he plans to do anything about it. Next time, I will be more aware.

And thanks 3lilchunklins, for the homeopathic info. We use lots of homeopathics - Im going to order some Ledum :)

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#11 of 23 Old 05-21-2013, 09:51 PM

Tetanus can only thrive and live on rusted metal that has been in contact with livestock infected with the virus. This disease became a huge problem during the industrial revolution when much agriculture and farming became severely industrialized and sanitary conditions were abruptly changed. In this day and age the likelyhood of a piece of rusty metal to have been in contact with livestock infected with the disease is extremely unlikely. It's even unlikelier that that piece of rusty metal still has a virus that is still live and active enough to in turn infect you. So in the end, I really wouldn't worry about it unless your son is running around the inside of a confinement animal feeding operation (CAFO) and cutting himself on the metal in there, it's very unlikely he will ever ever get sick from it. 

#12 of 23 Old 05-22-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonjaStahl View Post

Tetanus can only thrive and live on rusted metal that has been in contact with livestock infected with the virus. This disease became a huge problem during the industrial revolution when much agriculture and farming became severely industrialized and sanitary conditions were abruptly changed. In this day and age the likelyhood of a piece of rusty metal to have been in contact with livestock infected with the disease is extremely unlikely. It's even unlikelier that that piece of rusty metal still has a virus that is still live and active enough to in turn infect you. So in the end, I really wouldn't worry about it unless your son is running around the inside of a confinement animal feeding operation (CAFO) and cutting himself on the metal in there, it's very unlikely he will ever ever get sick from it. 

I think you are underestimating tetanus here.  You lost me at rusted...

caffix.gif

#13 of 23 Old 05-22-2013, 05:17 AM

My understanding is that rust has nothing to do with tetanus, right? Nails just sometimes happen to be rusty where tetanus is more likely to be?

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#14 of 23 Old 05-22-2013, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerose View Post

My understanding is that rust has nothing to do with tetanus, right? Nails just sometimes happen to be rusty where tetanus is more likely to be?

That is basically my understanding.  Tetanus comes from animal feces, although its spores can float around.  

Rusty nails are seen as an issue because they are frequently found outside, often in or near soil which might have feces in it, can create deep puncture wounds (which may introduced the bacteria deep into the body) and the rusty nails have a bumpy surface that might make it easier for bacteria to cling to (this last one is speculative).  The rust has nothing to do with it.

Magali, I do not think the previous poster is under-estimating tetanus.  Tetanus is incredibly rare (1 in 12 million).  It is more common in drug users, elderly and   Some tetanus might be kept at bay by vaccination, but it would still be incredibly rare. Keep in mind most adults are not up to date on tetanus vaccines, so we do have large chunks of society roaming around without tetanus protection, and tetanus is still extremely rare.   Pre-vaccine levels (when farming or keeping livestock was much more common) the rates were 1/250 000.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#15 of 23 Old 05-22-2013, 07:29 AM

Oh man! I have been paranoid about rusty metal for nothing!?! I do live in a farmy area, my MIL has a field of cows at her house, so it might be more of a threat in my neck of the woods...

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

#16 of 23 Old 05-22-2013, 01:56 PM

No I am not underestimating Tetanus but yes you are correct that I misstated that Tetanus comes from "Rusted" metal only. Usually though in cases where Tetanus is prolific the sanitary conditions are quite dismal, with a higher chance of rusty deteriorating metal around coming into contact with the livestock. There is a reason people are told to avoid rusted metal and the horror stories from the turn of the centuries of people contracting Tetanus from rusted metal are told. It's just a association of uncleanliness, unsanitary = disease

#17 of 23 Old 05-22-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonjaStahl View Post

No I am not underestimating Tetanus but yes you are correct that I misstated that Tetanus comes from "Rusted" metal only. 

"underestimating tetanus" is a subjective term.  It depends on what you mean by"underestimate."

Tetanus is dangerous but very rare in wealthy nations.http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/G/cases&deaths.pdf.   Eyeballing the chart, I would say there is an average of 35 cases a year in the past 20 years, with an average death rate of about 7….out of 330 million people.  Most of those people were elderly, drug users or diabetics.  

There is no "rusted metal only".  Tetanus does not come from rusted metal, period.  It comes from feces, and its spores can spread to such things as nails, but it does not come from the rust. 

From   http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/everyday-myths/rusty-nail-tetanus.htm

"Rust is not in and of itself a C. tetani carrier; rather, the thinking goes that if the nail has been outside long enough to get rusty, then it's probably been exposed to soils containing the bacteria. The crevices of the rust give the soil a place to hide, and the deep puncture wound gives the C. tetani a place to do its work. 

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#18 of 23 Old 05-22-2013, 03:51 PM

Ah ha, that's enlightening

#19 of 23 Old 05-22-2013, 04:44 PM

I've read the only reason to worry about tetanus is if it's a puncture wound, that does not bleed. Beyond that, the remedies for tetanus is Magnesium, Vitamin C, and good nutrition(IE staying as far away from the Standard American Diet as possible)

#20 of 23 Old 05-22-2013, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Why you never need a tetanus vaccine, regardless of your age and location

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#21 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 11:39 AM

So glad you all posted such good info, ds stepped on a pin and it got infected. Had to take him to the Dr who wanted to give him a tetanus booster (unfortunately this ds was fully vaxed up to 4 yrs). So thank God I had read this thread and was up to date on my tetanus info. Plus he's only 9, so he's not even due for another booster yet anyway! Geez Louise

#22 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LilChunklins View Post

So glad you all posted such good info, ds stepped on a pin and it got infected. Had to take him to the Dr who wanted to give him a tetanus booster (unfortunately this ds was fully vaxed up to 4 yrs). So thank God I had read this thread and was up to date on my tetanus info. Plus he's only 9, so he's not even due for another booster yet anyway! Geez Louise

glad we could help :)

If you are worried about a current wound, what you want is immuno-globulin.  A tetanus shot or booster is just something they try to give you while you are scared and in their clutches.  It won't do much good for a current wound.

#23 of 23 Old 05-23-2013, 01:48 PM

Right! I remembered that, and asked if we could do that instead, and he was like, "well that's only if he HAS tetanus, I'm not really worried about that. It's just to be on *the safe side*" uh....what? So your not worried if my kid has tetanus, plus he's currently up to date on his vaxes, but u wanna stick him... I think not!
I am giving him abx tho... In my mind, that's being on the safe side!

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page