How do I claim religious exemption? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What do I need to do or give to a preschool to allow my son to go? 

I live in NJ and it's either vaccinate or claim religious exemption for school entry. He is mostly caught up with vaccines, but there are some vaccines I just don't want to do. He can catch up by September, but it's too much and I am against certain vaccines. So, I want to stop vaccinating at this point. Is there paperwork I need to fill out or what? 

#2 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You can find templates for immunization waivers for religious exemption online in various place. They may not have their own official form, but you can write up a short letter citing the statute.

IcySoda likes this.
#3 of 5 Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Something to think about. You cannot pick and choose in NJ. Once you claim a religious exemption, you cannot then go on and get boosters for certain ones without losing the exemption for good. If you plan on stopping vaccines from here on out - its a good plan. 

IcySoda likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 5 Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks all! I am just curious, is it true you need to write an exemption letter then have it notarized? Does this go to the pediatricians office also? I wouldn't continue to vax btw. I am done. Unfortunately my husband isn't on the same page with me. He thinks we should vax but he won't do the research on them like I do. So that in itself is a battle. I am so glad I followed a delay schedule up until this point. My son definitely handles vaccines better than how he handled them as a baby. 

#5 of 5 Old 05-20-2013, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Here is a run-down of NJ law.

http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements/newjersey.aspx

Be sure to click on the exemption info links, which show letters detailing how school and other government officials are not allowed to pry into your beliefs, and how you do NOT need to belong to an organized religion to exercise your rights.

It doesn't look like you need it notarized, but seem people choose to do it anyway. (Your bank should do it for free). The ped doesn't need a copy, just the school. (Some peds try to get parents to sign a scary-looking form in order to intimidate them into vaccinating, but it's never legally required).

I recommend contacting the state vaccine choice group for advice on what to put in the letter.
http://njvaccinationchoice.org

Good luck!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page