Ear piercing and Tetanus - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-19-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, my 5 y/o unvaxxed dd got her ears pierced yesterday.  And naturally, I spent ALL NIGHT on the internet researching my decision, pulling it apart, freaking myself out about possible tetanus . . . . sigh.  Of course, my eldest unvaxxed daughter has had her ears pierced since she was 4, but at the time, for whatever reason, tetanus was not in my mind . . . I think I seriously always just look for reasons to stress myself out!

So, we've been doing salt water washes today . . getting your kid's ear into a glass of water for 5 minutes at a time is in and of itself a feat! . .  and I just bought some Dr. Brommer's castile soap to wash her ears once a day . . . . I've told her a MILLION times today not to touch her ears . . . and just praying for this 2 months of recovery to fly by!

Any sage advice for this neurotic mama? ;)

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 6 Old 05-19-2013, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any reputable place is going to go the extra mile to make the procedure as sterile as possible. Don't worry about it!! She's not gonna get tetanus. :-)

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 6 Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 PM

I wouldn't give it a second thought honestly - relax !!!!!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 6 Old 05-24-2013, 10:34 PM

I'm hoping you've chilled out with the ear washing :) (And the telling her not to touch them).

She will be ok. Tetanus is caused by bacteria found in soil and manure, not on clean earrings.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 6 Old 05-25-2013, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Try to think about it with a rational mind, instead of an emotional one.  Rationally thinking, is she REALLY going to get tetanus from having her ears pierced?  Rationally, no....emotionally thinking about it, she could come down with a number of maladies having her ears pierced...infection could set in, amputation of ear could happen, or any array of nasty things the emotional mind can conjure up....Rationally thinking about it, i'm sure the store made sure their utensils were of the utmost cleanliness, clean atmosphere, and sterilizing agents used, proper procedure was used to pierce the ears, or you probably wouldn't have taken her there, right?  How many stories have you heard of girls getting their ears pierced, and coming down with tetanus as an after effect of piercing ears, esp at the place you used?  

When thinking about disease exposure and kids, it's easy to let our emotions cloud our judgement.  If we can remain rational thinkers in times of duress, then the battle in the mind will not exist. 

#6 of 6 Old 05-25-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, everyone. I have calmed down on the ear cleaning, and am a *smidge* more rational about the whole tetanus issue. wink1.gif

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page